2008 BMW 1 Series 128i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

My 2008 128i Convertible
By DTMEDIC

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought a NEW 2008 model from the showroom floor. It's loaded with every conceivable option; but I got the car nearly $6,000 off invoice. Still pricey... but definitely worth it! I can't say enough about this little gem! It is the MOST fun I've ever had driving! I wake up every morning and cannot WAIT to drive my car to work! I love the top down fun with my iPod tunes blasting. The iDrive is a little quirky, but once you figure it out, it's fine. The ride is superb, the fit and finish is all BMW... the drive and handling is exactly what you would expect... perfection. Love it, love it, love it... you will NOT be sorry you bought this car! Just do it!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, iPod sync, convertible top... the rumble of the engine and the drive.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything really, two bigger cup holders maybe.

128i Convertible
By Mike N.

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I went from a Z4 to the 128i convertible and from manual to automatic transmission so there was an adjustment in expectations. Overall, I have been very happy with the 128. The build quality is outstanding. The handling is exceptional and the motor has plenty of punch, especially in manual shift mode. I love the way the car learns your driving style. The only negative is the standard sound system (not the premium pkg). Speaker placement makes it virtually inaudible with the top down at freeway speeds. The Z4 was better probably because the speakers were directly behind the seat.

Favorite Features

No favorite feature, just a well rounded, well engineered, semi-sport German convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Better standard sound system and speaker placement.

1st 1,000 miles
By 1st convertible bot

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around solid, stays on road. Engine has a "low throaty" sound that sets off other car alarms - too cool! Small size is very convenient, fun and adds to the great acceleration. Quiet interior with top up, car suspension handles train track crossings and bumps with ease. In rain, excellent perf both from a handling, sound & water management. I have to admit, it is expensive and very unpractical, BUT it is a kick in the pants to drive and makes my commute fun! To hell with the economy and my crappy 401K perf - let's go for a drive!

Favorite Features

When sun hits dash board, red lighting becomes blue - quick top up/down, night time ambient lighting, satellite radio, folds/channels in rag top that prevent drip from coming across passenger window, easy gas cap, pressure sensors in tires - an owner's manual that actually thinks I will baby it!

Suggested Improvements

(1) Can't see LCD lighting on radio w/ polarized sunglasses. (2) When seat belt is taken off there is risk of hitting window/glass. (3) Blind spots w/ top up. (4) Need more cup holders & larger glove box. (5) Seatbelt "flutters" at hi speed w/ top down. (6) Needs tighter lateral support in seats.

Year One of the 1
By pstevenson32

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 128. It is great fun to drive. It has more than enough power for a casual driver such as me. With its 6-speed transmission, it generally gets around 24-26 mpg in the city. I have always liked the looks of BMW. Now I get the look at a fairly decent price. The 128 is a luxury car without many frills. The interior has been pared of luxury to make space for roominess. Well for the people in front, anyway. It's still pretty much a 2-seater. Oddly, for a BMW, the interior is without many standards items I have grown used to over the years. Example: The 128 is curiously without a functional cupholder. The only working cupholder is directly behind the shifter. I still love it.

Favorite Features

I live and drive this car in Germany, where I get passed on the Autobahn by SMART-car-sized cars doing 85. It holds its own here.

Suggested Improvements

Functional cupholders for pete's sake. (That is a pretty small thing to gripe about, tho'.)

Glad I bought it
By Happy Camper

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Z4 lease was up and after research on edmunds, I decided to test this car. I liked the seats, soft top and price better than the 3 series. I am enjoying the additional room this car offers, the better ride and the performance. The 4/50k service is a real plus. I really love this car.

Favorite Features

I like the seats, paddle shifters and overall ride.

Suggested Improvements

The expense and availability of the run flats is a real problem for BMW in general.

BMW 128i Cabrio - WOW!
By German Frau

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I considered the 3series convertible before purchasing my Mini Cooper S convertible in 2005. I loved driving it in town but it was stiff riding and uncomfortable on the highway. One day, one of my students brought in a 1 series brochure. I loved the car from the minute I saw it. Immediately I scheduled a test drive and ordered the car in April. After returning from Germany on June 20th, my BMW was waiting for me. I own the car for 9 days now. The car really drives well and I just love it. It performs well and is smooth riding on the highway. My husband liked the Mini Cooper S conv. a lot but after driving/riding the BMW conv. he changed his mind. I'm/we are sold on the new 1 series.

Favorite Features

Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Xenon Headlights, Park Distance Control I like the fact that you can put the top up and down while driving. I also like the look of the 1 series when the top is down. Bluetooth and MP3 Player integration are very nice as well.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are too small and they seem to be in the way. Run flats (My Mini Cooper S had run flats and they were pricey - $1200)

Great Convertible
By BMW128iOwner

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is both comfortable and very fun to drive. Being six feet tall, I thought the back seat would be a little tight for me, however when I have sat in the back it is more than enough room and also very comfortable. The materials and interior design are very excellently crafted, as well as the beautiful exterior. Automatic roof works great and car is amazing with the top down. The engine sounds powerful and exhilarating, and yet the ride is very quiet. The premium Hi-Fi sound system sounds great with the top up or down. iPhone compatibility is great and sounds great on both sides of the phone, even with the top down and strong winds.

Favorite Features

Terrific interior and exterior design. Great performance and comfort. Great sound system and controls.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, although 18/28 is fairly good.

My 128i Ragtop
By Rocky

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a Z4 previously and loved it, but overall I like the 1er better. Meets or exceeds every one of my expectation. The 128i is plenty fast and is more practical than the 135i. The 135i is almost stupid fast and very few drivers will be able to get more than 30% out of what the car is capable of.

Favorite Features

Fav features are the step tranny, the windblocker, the sweet engine, the extra driver/passenger legroom, the overall small exterior dimensions.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great car
By onefan

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in my Z4 for the 128. I like the comfort of the interior and the addtional room of this car. It is responsive and the braking is excellent. The 128 doesn't deliver the same level of power as the 135, but I drive in heavy traffic and the six cyl. is more than adequate. I really love this car.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, seats are really comfortable and fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Back seat could be slight larger

Satisfying that need for fun!
By TinasBimmer

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I test drove many new convertibles and decided to purchase the 128i convertible. I'm 6'2" and discovered I don't fit comfortably in most 2-seaters out there. We are very happy with our car and would highly recommend it for many reasons. The car handles like no other car I've ever driven, probably due to the sports package. It is very comfortable with the leather power seats and we were actually able to fit our two teenaged sons in the back, a bit snug but do able. Acceleration is very smooth and the 6- speed automatic transmission shifts just right, in fully auto or manual modes. We also like the zero-maintenance cost feature that covers everything except tires for 4 yrs

Favorite Features

Like the looks of the car with the top up or down. Lots of fun to drive down country roads with the top down, ya hoo!

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the cost of the options.