2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:
135i is Fun to Driive but needs rear tires annually
By eric146 on 01/20/13 18:39 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a true joy to drive but, the need for Z rated tires and the cost makes this car impractical to be your only vehicle. This vehicle has needed new front tires every two years (25000 miles) and needed rear tires about every year (12000 miles). I finally had enough of the tires wearing out and I choose another vehicle. If you want a fun car, this is it, but beware you will be spending between $375 for Hankooks or $1000 for Run Flats every year. Then do not forget about the Premium Unleaded fuel requirement.

Great drive, good looks, high maintenance
By darthbimmer on 08/25/12 08:02 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

When it was time to sell my beloved '98 M3 convertible I looked at the 2012 3s. Too big and bloated and cluttered with expensive, distracting technology. The 1 series is the spiritual successor to the older 3. Slightly smaller back seat and trunk, but closer in size and with a clean, driving-focused dashboard. We picked one up used with low miles and original warranty still remaining-- a good thing because we have had to use it a lot! We test drove a 128 but felt it was underpowered. The 135 was obviously more expensive but we fell in love the first time we pressed the pedal to the carpet. This car is stupid fast. In a dark color and especially with the top down it looks great.

LOVE my 135I...but
By di4uk on 04/19/11 10:27 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my 135I convertible since 6/2008. It drives great and I love the car but I've had to take it back to the dealership SIX times because the convertible top continues to leak. Today makes the second time I've filed the Lemon Law on the car. And, to make matters worse, the dealership has a totally rude attitude about trying to fix the car.

Screamin'
By rEddie2 on 08/27/10 06:18 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife always wanted a BMW Convertible. We assumed the lease on this one from the original owner. We absolutely love the performance of this car, but have been a little disappointed with the quality. The tail-light assemblies have been replaced 3 times, the third brake light lens just shattered while driving down the road. Those were replaced under warranty, but it is disappointing considering.

What a Car!
By Richard on 08/19/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I took this car over on Swap-A-Lease with 10 months left and lots of miles. I get to drive a $45,000 car (which is way out of my league) less than $7000 with maintenance included. My biggest complaint were the front run-flats which succumbed to a double blow out on a New Jersey pothole. Replaced with Sumitomos at half the cost. Car rides smoother and handles just as well. Car is so heavily optioned I have not explored them all. There is no dip stick. When oil light comes on you press some buttons and its sensor told me it needed one quart. BMW told me to come in and they would add it gratis! Service is very addicting.

Fun, but ...
By jim bruemmer on 08/11/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought it without ever driving one based upon early reviews which described it as a car that strongly appeals to those of us 'seasoned' enough to appreciate the joys (and some sorrows) of early sports cars. I've owned MGTCs, 356 Speedsters, early SLs, and 911s. The 135i ragtop is a great modern compromise for a geezer who still loves the open road. It is pure joy to drive it, especially on a recent top-down tour through the Colorado Rockies. Power, responsiveness and handling do not disappoint!

135i not a 3 series
By LovenMyBMW on 02/28/10 11:19 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Ok lets start out by saying that we all have a opion. This is a 1 series not a 3. So with that said. Understand its smaller. Yes the interior is almost the same. Back and front seats. And head room. Just the body. With the 1 having less weight than the 3. The little beemer is amazing. Is faster than a Cayman, Niss 370, Mustang, and Camaro. Now its not a drag car. Its a sports car with style. Some parts seem cheap but what car under 60k don't. This little car with a back seat that can be used for kids and luggage, small bags and other items is perfect for a person not wanting a big car. If you want big buy a 7 series or a SUV. All said if you are thinking about it. DO IT

Great little German "Pony Car"
By Shawnski on 12/08/09 15:01 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had to have this when it first came out. And have not disappointed in over 19 months of ownership. Sensible, sporty, fast, and great fuel economy. Not a sports car, but has a great ride. Small size, but surprisingly practical. Lost of easy torque, and terrific average fuel economy - 25 MPG. It is the perfect marriage of German engineering, and American style muscle car attributes (2 doors, a trunk and fast), all in a size that makes other cars seem fat. Only reason I did not give a 10 for performance was my decision to go with Steptronic 6A v. 6M. However, it is a superior slush box, that shifts very fast and is always in the right gear. IMO no one refines drivetrains better than BMW.

fun!
By fs on 09/30/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Can't say enough how much fun is to drive this car. love it. If y're in the market for a new car, give yourself a favor to test drive the 1 series. Purchased my 135i convertible in 02.2009 with $6k below msrp including the $750 leasing incentive. Most fun car I have ever driven.

1 Series...dynamite
By Bob on 08/15/09 07:31 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 1 Series Convertible 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Exceptional performance, fun and reliability. Purchased my 135i convertible in Dec 2008 (good time to buy, great deal, low 0.9 financing). Must say we are a BMW family, and also own a 535i, and previously owned a 330i and Z3 (3.0) so we are biased to the exceptional service, warranty, and purchase experience at BMW. Have put 24K miles on it in 9 months with no problems. Very comfortable for one or two people, excellent seats and ergonomics. Purchased this as a replacement to a 2001 Z3 3.0 with 200K miles, so I view the small back seat as extended cargo space. Smooth, for it's class, on the highway and exceptional on back roads and acceleration. A true wolf in sheep's clothing.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.