Used 2008 BMW 1 Series 128i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

My 2008 128i Convertible
By DTMEDIC

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought a NEW 2008 model from the showroom floor. It's loaded with every conceivable option; but I got the car nearly $6,000 off invoice. Still pricey... but definitely worth it! I can't say enough about this little gem! It is the MOST fun I've ever had driving! I wake up every morning and cannot WAIT to drive my car to work! I love the top down fun with my iPod tunes blasting. The iDrive is a little quirky, but once you figure it out, it's fine. The ride is superb, the fit and finish is all BMW... the drive and handling is exactly what you would expect... perfection. Love it, love it, love it... you will NOT be sorry you bought this car! Just do it!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, iPod sync, convertible top... the rumble of the engine and the drive.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything really, two bigger cup holders maybe.

128i Convertible
By Mike N.

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I went from a Z4 to the 128i convertible and from manual to automatic transmission so there was an adjustment in expectations. Overall, I have been very happy with the 128. The build quality is outstanding. The handling is exceptional and the motor has plenty of punch, especially in manual shift mode. I love the way the car learns your driving style. The only negative is the standard sound system (not the premium pkg). Speaker placement makes it virtually inaudible with the top down at freeway speeds. The Z4 was better probably because the speakers were directly behind the seat.

Favorite Features

No favorite feature, just a well rounded, well engineered, semi-sport German convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Better standard sound system and speaker placement.

1st 1,000 miles
By 1st convertible bot

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around solid, stays on road. Engine has a "low throaty" sound that sets off other car alarms - too cool! Small size is very convenient, fun and adds to the great acceleration. Quiet interior with top up, car suspension handles train track crossings and bumps with ease. In rain, excellent perf both from a handling, sound & water management. I have to admit, it is expensive and very unpractical, BUT it is a kick in the pants to drive and makes my commute fun! To hell with the economy and my crappy 401K perf - let's go for a drive!

Favorite Features

When sun hits dash board, red lighting becomes blue - quick top up/down, night time ambient lighting, satellite radio, folds/channels in rag top that prevent drip from coming across passenger window, easy gas cap, pressure sensors in tires - an owner's manual that actually thinks I will baby it!

Suggested Improvements

(1) Can't see LCD lighting on radio w/ polarized sunglasses. (2) When seat belt is taken off there is risk of hitting window/glass. (3) Blind spots w/ top up. (4) Need more cup holders & larger glove box. (5) Seatbelt "flutters" at hi speed w/ top down. (6) Needs tighter lateral support in seats.

Year One of the 1
By pstevenson32

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 128. It is great fun to drive. It has more than enough power for a casual driver such as me. With its 6-speed transmission, it generally gets around 24-26 mpg in the city. I have always liked the looks of BMW. Now I get the look at a fairly decent price. The 128 is a luxury car without many frills. The interior has been pared of luxury to make space for roominess. Well for the people in front, anyway. It's still pretty much a 2-seater. Oddly, for a BMW, the interior is without many standards items I have grown used to over the years. Example: The 128 is curiously without a functional cupholder. The only working cupholder is directly behind the shifter. I still love it.

Favorite Features

I live and drive this car in Germany, where I get passed on the Autobahn by SMART-car-sized cars doing 85. It holds its own here.

Suggested Improvements

Functional cupholders for pete's sake. (That is a pretty small thing to gripe about, tho'.)

Glad I bought it
By Happy Camper

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Z4 lease was up and after research on edmunds, I decided to test this car. I liked the seats, soft top and price better than the 3 series. I am enjoying the additional room this car offers, the better ride and the performance. The 4/50k service is a real plus. I really love this car.

Favorite Features

I like the seats, paddle shifters and overall ride.

Suggested Improvements

The expense and availability of the run flats is a real problem for BMW in general.