2008 BMW 1 Series 128i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great CPO bargin
By SagamoreJack

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a 128i stripper with a manual. It has ample room for 2 people or 4 on a quick lunch run. Fold down back seat and reasonable trunk opening allows hauling good sized cargo. It has expected BMW handling, good acceleration and also is a smooth highway cruiser, except for run flat tire noise. The acceleration is OK, not thrilling. It makes a satisfying growl at WOT. Wide torque curve and slick transmission makes a great combination for moving thru traffic and for sporty curve work. Base interior has very cheap looking and feeling plastic. More Aveo than BMW. The large adjustment knob for manual seats is exactly where your foot goes when cruise control is on. Track day soon

Favorite Features

Smooth torquey six. Slick manual transmission. Very good handling/ride combination. Fold down rear seats allows me to carry my bike inside. Low mileage CPO and not the most popular model means a nearly new BMW for Honda money.

Suggested Improvements

Base interior needs an upgrade. Manual seat adjustment is poorly thought out. Way too much brake dust. I join almost every owner in saying get rid of the run flats.

Cheap materials
By David Rodriguez

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had my car for almost 2 years now and I'm on my fifth third brake light, I had the driver's window motor replaced twice passenger side airbag sensor once and now my fog lights lenses are cracked and BMW says that it is because of impact and not covered by warranty so I have to deal with them using cheap plastic in their cars which I don't think is fair

Favorite Features

engine

Suggested Improvements

for the price we should get better quality materials and craftsmanship, get rid of those run flats or at least give us an option

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By noushin

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I used to have a 325 until 3 years ago when I sold it due to high maintenance cost and leased a Mercedes C230. It was such a "trouble-free" car, but I missed my BMW since the day I lost it. I had my eye on the 1 series and it was worth all the wait. I have a 128 coupe with M1, Sport and Premium package. The car practically flies, it handles marvelously and I even like the feel of the "run-flat" tires. Can't wait to finish work and come to my car....

Favorite Features

Steering wheel, lumbar support, interior design, handling.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system is very mediocre to the best. BMW can learn a few things from Mercedes Benz in that department. What a shame. Radio knob buttons not so intuitive. No reason to have the second cup holder since it's useless.

Amazing Car
By ANM

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is amazing. I have had it for 9 months and love it just as much as the first day I bought it. The build quality is the best I have ever seen in a new car. Acceleration is good in Drive mode and great in Sport Mode. On the highway it is as stable at 75 mph as it was at 25 mph. It is the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Brakes; acceleration; ride; rain sensing windshield wipers. Defroster clears the windshield in a couple of seconds, not sure how they make it do that, but makes me wonder why others haven't copied it.

Suggested Improvements

I do not have any complaints.

Those Germans Know How to Build Cars!
By BimmerBoomer

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car to replace a 3 series BMW that saved my life in a crash involving a deer. I traveled to Germany to pick up the car and was able to drive at 120 mph with complete confidence because of the safety features built in to the car. A few weeks ago I was returning home on the freeway around midnight when I saw a wrong-way driver coming right for me in my lane. I had only about two seconds to react, and the Dynamic Stability Control helped me move quickly and safely out of the way. I can't say enough about my confidence in this car.

Favorite Features

The Harmon Kardon stereo, HD Radio, and iPod interface turn the car into a private concert venue, while the driving experience, comfortable seats, warning chimes that harmonize, a quiet cabin, and Dynamic Stability Control all contribute to making this a complete package.

Suggested Improvements

Run flat tires are very expensive. The seat belt warning chime comes on when you place heavy objects (like laptops or backpacks) on the passenger seat. The chime cannot be disabled because it is a safety feature.

BMW128i - After 15 months
By JFi

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Even after 15 months, I still absolutely love this car. It's very unique as you don't see many around, so that's a nice touch. Wasn't even in the market when I bought the car, but had to have it once I drove it. The handling of this car is very smooth and very precise, glides through corners and turns with ease and precision. Lots of power for a car this size. Others are surprised by how fast and quick this little car can be. I don't think of it as a true sports car (although the backseat is basically unusable) because it's got a great ride for a car that is so low to the ground (no sport package) and lots of nice luxury touches as well. Nothing else like it on the road.

Favorite Features

Precision handling, smooth transmission (6sp auto), power folding mirrors for tight spaces, ambient/welcoming lighting, hands-free bluetooth, back seats lay forward to expand the trunk, color (metallic sedona red - gets lots of compliments), uniqueness.

Suggested Improvements

Hard plastics in dash, reliability (a couple glitches with the computer and radio), back-seat arm rest, more cabin storage space... make a 130i and give it the larger (more powerful) I-6 to slate between the 128i and 135i.

BMW 128i - 6 months ownership
By mitiko

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

6 months and zero issues at all (never had this experience with prev. german cars purchased). Everything works well, surprised at how well it drives in snow (took it to Killington VT). If you drive carefully, easy to get 30/31 mpg on the highway (auto trans), but the moment you put some gusto in your driving and you hit 22 mpg very fast.

Favorite Features

Great front seats, and very good trunk capacity with seats down (put in the back Queen bed head and foot boards + 40inch TV -- all with boxes. Very smooth auto trans, and great handling (I do not have sport package, but for me it suffices).

Suggested Improvements

1) Rear seat armrest. 2) More trunk lining. 3) More compartments to store stuff. 4) iPod integration good, but should be standard, not optional. 5) 6 cd changer should be standard. 6) No more run flats, add a spare tire, old fashioned way is the best way.

Fun to drive.
By Danny

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 128i coupe is the only one left in this country with red leather & black ext. It is equipped with Premium, Sport, and Cold packages. It is very stable, you can't feel driving over 70 mph. Handling and corning are smooth. Overall of this vehicle is fun to drive with, but too expensive to own it. MBenz C300 sport is worth of buying, they're nearly the same price.

Favorite Features

Must have, shifting gears on steering wheel, looks very sporty. Red leather seat is very attractive. Most other features are almost same like other cars.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle body could be wider, looks too skinny and doesn't seem like a sport car. Back seat too small. Too little standard features. Cup holders everybody has been complaining about are too small and missing cup holders in the rear. USB device reader is useless, took 30 mins to read than play mp3.

Happy Hatchback Owner
By MunichLife

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I actually live in Germany and have the hatchback 118d version of the 1 series which I don't think is available in the US yet. It has been a superb choice, extremely fuel efficient in a country where gas has been even more expensive, an absolute blast to scoot around town in but with an interior comfortable enough for a ong trip. The business stereo package is incredible also. I am leasing now and will likely buy when I can.

Favorite Features

Power for the fuel efficiency. Sound system, gas consumption monitoring, auto windshield wipers and lights.

Of driving
By 162WST

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

50/50 distribution, rock solid chassis, sweet six. I love the looks of this car. One of the few 2 door rear drive coupes. Good package for the money. Some understeer at lower speed. Great to tailwhip in the rain! Transmission could be smoother. Sports pack is nice.

Favorite Features

Getting in to a curve and feeling it just glide through, without any distortion. Any.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats barely usable. xDrive.