Toyota Suspends Sales, Production of Its Bestsellers

By Michelle Krebs January 26, 2010

In an unprecedented move, Toyota announced Tuesday that it was suspending sales and production of eight Toyota logo - 119.JPGToyota-brand models -- some of its bestsellers -- due to safety concerns regarding sticking accelerator pedals on vehicles that only last week were covered in the company's latest recall.

"Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company," said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. "This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We're making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible."

Vehicles that will not be for sale temporarily are the: 2009-2010 RAV4; 2009-2010 Corolla; 2009-2010 Matrix; 2005-2010 Avalon; certain 2007-2010 Camry; 2010 Highlander; 2007-2010 Tundra; and 2008-2010 Sequoia.

No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids. Those models will remain for sale.

In addition, Toyota also said it will halt production of the affected vehicles beginning the week of Feb. 1. Toyota did not say how long plants would be idle.

Plants that will be closed are:

Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4)
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander)
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky - Line 1 (Camry and Avalon)
- Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry)
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click here to comment on this entry.
1487 says: 4:51 PM, 01.26.10

The problem is getting too big to ignore and now the MSM is sniffing around. Look for more revelations to come.

dg0472 says: 5:48 PM, 01.26.10

I think the next revelation is the large number of Prius owners who are claiming they're having trouble and don't have floor mats, but we'll see.

prius2008 says: 11:37 PM, 01.26.10

In discussing this story, our local news (SF Bay Area) made a point of saying vehicles made in Japan were unaffected and would continue to be sold in the US. They even went so far as to show how the VIN readily explains country of origin. This comports with the fact that only the North American plants are stopping production. If this is true, then Toyota knows what the problem is. They know that North American plants are the source of the problem and facilities in Japan and elsewhere are okay. So, what is the problem and why won't Toyota make it known?

guy1974 says: 5:35 AM, 01.27.10

Poor Toyota! I heard one toyota fan say "oh well they are having a recall, that shows their commitment to quality". I don`t believe he was saying the same when GM recalled cars a few years ago.
Toyota sell on one proposition and that is reliability. When that goes they have nothing else (price, design, driving fun). Plenty of companies are as reliable but have better designs, offer more fun and/or are cheaper (Hyundai, Ford, Honda, Subaru, Mazda etc, etc).

upsetcustome says: 2:51 PM, 01.27.10

I have a 2008 Camry and 6 months ago I reported that my car took off on the 405 freeway in california and spinned around twice on the freeway.. I tried to stop the vehicile and it would not stop. When I went to the dealer at the time they was having a problem with the floor mats. They said that this wasn't related and everything is okay. Now onths later there is a nationwide recall. I don't feel safe in my far anymore..I have two children and now I'm afraid to get in it. I am starting to think there is a link between the two. My thing is what is Toyota planning to do for the people that have purchased these car and to insure us that we will be safe on the road. While they said it's a small percentage it creats some anxiety in the driver that are driving these cars. I am happy they have put production on hold but the people like myself tht have these cars its not safe. What is toyota planning to do to sompensate for the anxiety and fear. Personally I am seeking an attorney to get everypayment Ihave paid back and to put me in another car that is not on this recall list.

xnewman1 says: 9:34 AM, 01.28.10

If I worked for a Toyota dealer, I wouldn't even bother coming to work. If I couldn't sell a car or deliver a car, I wouldn't make any money.