Used 2004 Audi TT Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi Tt - Consumer Reviews

2004 Audi TT Coupe

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Disapointed with Audi TT
By hirams

2004 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Fwd 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car 5 years ago in 2008 with only 28K miles and even though its fun to drive the repairs has been ridiculous. The factory warranty expires at 48K/4years. The car was 4yrs and 5 months when I bought it. At 32k the instrument cluster needed replacement at a cost of 1,250. At 40K the water pump needed to be replaced 1,850. At 45k the transmission needed to be replaced 5,200. At 56k the alternator, belt and tensor were replaced 1,650. At 72k the alternator was replaced again for 595. Audi should've replaced the the instrument cluster and the transmission because both failed before 50k but they washed their hands. After this experience I'll stay with BMW,never buy an Audi again.

Pick of the litter of the MK1 TT's
By Carl W. Krause

2004 Audi TT Coupe 250hp quattro AWD 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third TT of the MK1 series and is the best of the three in my opinion. The VR6 is a better engine than the 1.8 turbo. I have no timing belt woes to worry about, for example, because the cams are chain-driven.

Favorite Features

Iconic design exterior and interior. Fund to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I think Audi got it right with the 3.2TTQC, so I have no improvements to suggest.

TT Dolomite
By JettaRed

2004 Audi TT Coupe 225hp quattro AWD 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car as a CPO car in September 2007. It had come off of a lease and was immaculate. The styling is untouchable, the Audi rings are enviable. Boy racers (WRX, Evo, etc) don't even come close to the classiness of this car. Now the fun! With some computer reprogramming and bolt-on performance modifications, this car will behave according to its image. Chip tuning, water injection, exhaust upgrade, and AWD controller upgrade make this car the car that the factory should have produced.

Favorite Features

Styling, status, and tunability.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the rear seat on the coupe and save some weight.

Really Disapointed
By Chris G

2004 Audi TT Coupe 225hp quattro AWD 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I must have just gotten the odd lemon based on the other reviews. After 75,000 miles in 3 years, I have spent over $10,000 in repairs and maintenance. This includes $5400 for a timing belt at just over 50,000 miles. The car is got a lot of pick up after the brief hesitation waiting for the turbo to kick in. It corners well and the stereo system is great, but that's about it. I have no desire to own another Audi. I have spent more repairs on this car than on my last 3 Toyotas combined and this car was far less reliable than my last two Volvos.

Favorite Features

This is a good looking car.

Suggested Improvements

IPod ready would be a nice feature. A better warranty. For the 40k price tag, the car maker should stand by it's product.

Audi TT 3.2L DSG is a different TT
By DrRob

2004 Audi TT Coupe 250hp quattro AWD 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My favorite car. Before this I owned the 1.8L Quattro TT coupe. The normally aspirated 6 cylinder with DSG gear box is a lot more sports car - it is what the TT should have been from the start. I never thought that I would like a sports car without a traditional stick, but Audi's DSG is great. The paddle shifters are great. My first TT had reliability issues, especially with the electrical system. Through 30 months, this one has been flawless needing only routine maintenance. Get special order outside mirrors to eliminate the TT blindspot. Change the oil often to prevent sludge.

Favorite Features

DSG transmission with paddle shifters, one of a kind styling, good room for storage with rear seats folded down, Quattro AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Modern GPS, electric seats with memory, sound system and phone controls on steering wheel, subwoofer, iPod compatible sound system, improved control lever for cruise control, laser guided cruise control, Bluetooth for mobile phone.