Used 2001 Audi TT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi Tt - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Lot's of Fun!
By Bullitt

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This may be the best used car I've ever bought. Like another ad I saw recently, when I turn this car on, THIS one definitely returns the favor. Lots of fun in Quattro. Solid fun in the curves, rain, & snow. Compliments are plenty. I haven't had any bad maintenence issues yet. My only complaint is oil leaks. I suggest changing the timing belt early at 60K, along with the oil seals, water pump, etc. Then drive it another 60K like you stole it!

Favorite Features

Turbocharged fun! Changed the DV for smoothness. Paint and interior finish for an older car is nice. Overall great touring package.

Suggested Improvements

Boost power to 300 hp. Consider adding wings.

Huge pain, continually in the auto shop
By supafunkyfx

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is pretty fun to drive, but I have had to bring it to the shop a minimum of 5 times EACH year that I've owned it. Aside from the irritation of continually having to schedule appts and be without my car, the European parts are expensive and an hour-long diagnostic is required before ANYTHING can be fixed. End result: even to replace a $20 brake light switch, there is a $90 charge for the diagnostic before anything is done for the car. Because Audi was trying to be so artistic with this car, it's a pain to do even the smallest thing such as putting on the spare tire and if you have a blowout once the tires are below a certain tread depth, you have to replace all 4 tires.

Favorite Features

Interior styling, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

This is by far the most unreliable car I've ever owned. How about making a car that doesn't break every other month?

The Best
By jazzextra

2001 Audi TT 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Audi TT for just about 6 years and it has been a dream. I'm a drummer playing for small trios, amazingly I can fit my entire drum kit in the back if I put the back seats down and very comfortably. I get more compliments on this car than any of my previous.

Favorite Features

I think the body style is chic and minimal, to me it's just class all around. I also enjoy the interior with the retro industrial type of look and feel. When you drive this car you really feel like you're in a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Replacing chips can be costly but they don't go out often so this is a blessing. I recently had to change the battery (still had the original) and the whole transmission had to be reset which was a pain.

Amazing in all weather
By LL

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got the TT in may, loving the summer usability, and the AWD makes it drivable year round. I am in Colorado and we have had a BAD winter so far this year, and I have not had a single day I had any trouble! Wonderful all around, I couldn't have picked a better car!

Favorite Features

AWD and the convertible. I like the single top latch as opposed to most manufacturers double latches.

Fun Car, Expensive to Maintain
By TT

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car, fun to drive, looks great, but there have been many repair issues, far more than I would have expected for this level of car.

Favorite Features

Convertable - I will never have a coupe again!

Suggested Improvements

More quality control and/or a longer warrantee