Used 2001 Audi TT Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi TT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Fun, disappointing reliability
By Airspeed

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun to drive, handles nicely. But problems problem problems. Too cost conscious in engineering - will never buy Audi again. Stuff that should not happen at below 35,000 miles, and don't happen to my Benz with 120,000 miles! Too many problems to list - bearings, turbo, brake disks, joint boots, instrument panel, rain leaks frying electronics, O2 sensor, all at less than 35k miles! And I'm told by one of my mechanics it's one of the less troublesome recent Audis!

Design and handling. 15 second convertible top.

Besides making it cute, make it last! Right now, at this price point, I feel like I have been ripped off in build quality!

It's a blast.
By dpwoods

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased used just over 2 years ago, had 40K miles. I added 26K miles and only had a mass air flow sensor fail. This Quattro is great fun stock but if you have the money I highly recommend 18" rims with 235/40ZR 18 tires, cross drilled & vented rotors all around with ceramic brake pads. Also recommend perf chip and machined piston diverter valve. Now it's an absolute blast to drive. Even if you don't do any of the above invest in the diverter valve, the stock part is a poor design and inefficient causing turbo lag while shifting. And for heavens sake change the timimg belt every 60K miles and at the same time change over to a water pump w/metal impeller and v-belt tensioner w/metal roller.

A gocart that doubles as a commuter car with great gas mileage unless I choose othewise. High tech inside and out, excellent fit and finish. Plenty of after market performance parts.

Fit at least one set of golf clubs in the trunk.

Buyer Beware
By Disapointed in Houst

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Consider the TT a hole that you will pour lots of money into. The reliability is horrible, and the repairs extremely expensive.

I love the design, turning radius and size of the car.

A car that is well built and doesn't need constant, costly repairs.

Smooth TT
By Smooth TT

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Audi TT is joy to drive! I purchased my TT in Mar 2006 with 36,000 miles. The handling is amazing! The turbo lag takes getting use to; however, once you master the intricacies of driving the TT you will truly enjoy the full driving experience.

I love the exterior and interior design. I am sure that my car will become a collector’s item one day.

I suggest that Audi provide more quality control and/or a longer warranty to the owners, especially those that are having problems with their TT.

Lot's of Fun!
By Bullitt

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This may be the best used car I've ever bought. Like another ad I saw recently, when I turn this car on, THIS one definitely returns the favor. Lots of fun in Quattro. Solid fun in the curves, rain, & snow. Compliments are plenty. I haven't had any bad maintenence issues yet. My only complaint is oil leaks. I suggest changing the timing belt early at 60K, along with the oil seals, water pump, etc. Then drive it another 60K like you stole it!

Turbocharged fun! Changed the DV for smoothness. Paint and interior finish for an older car is nice. Overall great touring package.

Boost power to 300 hp. Consider adding wings.