2001 Audi TT Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
Emotional Attachment
By gepetoh on 01/04/05 20:51 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2001 Audi TT at the time was by far the biggest head turner of all cars not named Ferrari or Lamborghini, and it cost a heck of a lot less. The driving experience is superb due to the way it makes me feel, rather than the individual parts. The TT is by no means a performance ace. There is noticeable turbo lag, and it goes 0-60 in 7.5 or so, but it feels faster. Its lateral grip is excellent, although not comparable to the sportier Porsche Boxster or Honda S2000. Overall, the car feels sportier than it actually is. The real winner is the design, both internally and externally. There are some creaks that are rather annoying at times, however, and I had to take it in for two minor and one major service.

new to me
By britvin on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car. It is the perfect car for Hawaii. Only had a problem with the sensor for the top. The light stayed on constantly and the Audi dealership (in Waikiki) got it right in and fixed the problem. Still under the warranty so time in the shop (1/2 day) was free.

Art on wheels
By David_G on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have shared this car with my son-in-law for the past 4 years. We both loved it. While not the greatest in acceleration, the car has a fun and looks rating higher than anything either of us have driven in the last 50 years. Don't buy one if you need lots of cargo room but that is what sport utes are for, not sports cars.

So much fun!
By wmjwood on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I used to have a Miata many years ago and went through two JEEP Grand Cherokees before going back to a convertible, but I absolutely love the TT. It is so much fun to drive and amazingly, it is much bigger than I had expected. There are a ton of hidden compartments and storage spaces. I am a big fan of the safety features in this car as well as the fact that it gets great gas mileage (well, compared to a JGC). :)

Concept Car Brought To Life
By JAHRMB on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is one of the most beuatiful cars to ever roll off the assembly line. The interior (especially with the baseball optic leather) is flat-out gorgeous! This car, while not a hard- core sports car, can still deliver 85% of the performance of a Prosche 911 S4 Cabriolet at less than 1/2 the price - and it has a better interior with more room for front passengers. Much better overall car than Z4 or SLK. Better ergonimics than Boxster or 911. More room and better performance than Miata. Best bang for the buck - all things considered.

Never again
By Gmeyers on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Plagued with problems. In the first two years replaced: windshield washer sprayer, heated seat switch, window motor, rear wind deflector, windshield washer fluid reservoir and pump. Have intermittent check engine light. Dealer damaged car during one repair. Repeated attempts (3 page letter with 2 follow up e-mails over 2 month period)to resolve issue with Audi's Customer Care Center were completely ignored. Audi talks a good game, but in my experience their customer service is nothing but lip service. I would have a hard time recommending this car to anyone.

my tt
By debbie on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have enjoyed driving my TT. It has nice pick up and good fuel effiency. Its small but has alot to offer in extras.

good
By NC on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

No major problems, car is 2 years old, with 15000. Wipers have been replaced 3 times and dealer repalced windshield as wipers scratched window. Slight grind shifting into 3rd, dealer claims is normal? Water gts into door sill when washed, dealer also calims is normal. Fun to drive and no mechanical issues other than transmission shift into 3rd gear.

the turtle car
By N.Hennigar on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I flew to Buffalo N.Y to purchase this vehicle. I was Was not looking forward to the drive home to Clearwater FL.Boy was I wrong. Fun to drive, excellent gas mileage (32)Excellent handling. cool cruiser. Coming home one afternoon seconds ahead of me I noticed a large turtle at 40 MPH. I turn the wheel "slalom like" going off into the wet grass. coming back on the same way.Thiscar was possessed. With the Quattro all wheel drive/EDL,car was back on course in seconds. I almost wet myself. It did thtings in that 1.2 seconds I never experienced before. It's like the car took over. Turtle and I survived.

100+ Days in the Shop
By TTrouble on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Constant problems with electrical components. Both door rattle like they are half open. Losing 1 quart of oil every 100 miles, new engine at 20K. Transmission has been grinding in secand gear for 2 years (they said there was nothing wrong with it), and it tore itself apart at 30K. They will not honor the warrenty because one of their techs said he knows I race the car (this is a blatant lie). Audi personnel have put over 700 miles on the car. They want $9000 for the new trans and $2000 to install it. The car has depreciated 50% in 3 years and is now "totalled" (trans is over half the value of the car) with 2 years of $850 payments left on it.