2001 Audi TT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
Fun but not without issues
By Old TT Driver on 04/17/06 22:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my TT in Dec 03 with 39000 miles on it. Quick off the line and handled great but the car was constantly at the dealer. The issues I had: rear trunk lock broke, replaced rear deck lid, window motors replaced twice, turbo failed 5 times, a/c compressor went out twice and entire a/c system replaced-interior panels broke during removal and were replaced. New battery, alternator and O2 sensor. Multiple rattles and car would shake at idle especially when a/c on-dealer could not fix. Glove box broke but not covered under warranty- $900. Brakes under warranty $2000 and timing belt service $1700-found water pump leaking. Just got rid of because assured warranty up.

TT Roadster
By TT Roadster on 03/25/06 08:13 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went from a 1992 BMW 318I convertable to the Audi TT. My wife and I were in the market for a sport convertable and we fell in love with the ride, performance and just plain fun of driving this car. The car has been very reliable and trouble free. I will definitely buy another one when it's time to replace this car.

Love my TT
By jillysue on 03/03/06 13:33 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the most fun I have had driving, ever. I look forward to an hour commute back and forth to work when I can drive the Audi. The handling is exceptional. I never have a worry.

TT Quattro Coupe
By 2 Dr. quatto Turbo A on 02/09/06 01:19 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most wonderful car on the road. It rates, to me, first class in everything. Drive one for yourself. The price is worth the car. I constantly have strangers come up to me and ask what kind of car it is.

Looks Looks Looks !!!
By Genco on 01/19/06 17:14 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car about 6 months ago Certified Used and i LOVE it ! The best part is that you are driving a car that is great looking and very rare so people look at you and your car and they don't know what kind it is and admire. Superb handling, good performance (not an M3), do 100 mph and you won't notice it.

Major repair every 4 months
By stan on 11/01/05 23:29 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A very comfortable and fun car to drive, but the most unreliable car I've owned since the '48 Dodge pickup that I bought for $50 in 1973. A lot of the problems were with the turbo system, but also had both cooling fans, catalytic converter, wiring harness in door, instrument cluster, fuel sensors in tank all replaced before the car had 50,000 miles. I purchased this car new and it was never wrecked.

Fun car
By Red TT owner on 10/15/05 11:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a fun car to own and drive, it attracts attention where ever you drive it. The handling with the AWD is exciting on backroads.

Once you go German, you never go back...
By Matt on 10/05/05 14:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I think this story sums it up. I was recently getting lunch at a deli shortly after I washed and waxed my TT when I heard a gentleman behind me say to his friend, "Did you see that Audi out there, what a sweet car." It suffers from turbo lag, but once out of first, it's not noticeable. I live in Colorado, so the AWD is a nice feature for a roadster. It also has plenty of power over the mountain passes and is a constant head turner. A fantastic car!

Avoid Audis!
By insyte on 06/24/05 14:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I own a 2001 TT Roadster convertible. Nothing but problems: failed transaxle, water leaks and rattles, performance problems, failed instrument cluster -- all with less than 23,000 miles!! Audi has not been helpful in resolving out-of-warranty problems. For instance, discovered at 22,000 miles -- due to severely abnormal tire wear -- that rear axle was bent when installed at the factory. Audi insists that damage due to "external factors," but dealer admits it takes a serious impact to bend the axle -- which has never happened in my possession. Out of warranty -- Audi's "Customer Advocates" are powerless to help, even though they agree that it is improbable that I caused the damage.

Solid and fun but won't satisfy purists
By Derek on 06/19/05 17:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car feels incredibly solid and tank-like. This and other heavy hardware make for a heavy car. Handling is tight but understeers too much and doesn't transmit enough feel, same can be said for the steering and brakes. The engine is a mixed bag... truly fantastic midrange power from 2200-5500rpm, but gutless outside of that range when the turbo is not at full boost at low rpm and inefficient at high rpm, also MUCH less power in hot weather - not a true sports car engine really. Great gas mileage, 30mpg sometimes, averaging 25mpg. Interior is very nice, but no standard CD player and the seatbelts are very hard to reach. Overall a solid car that's fun to about 80% of its potential.