Used 2001 Audi TT Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi Tt - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT Coupe

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Huge pain, continually in the auto shop
By supafunkyfx

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is pretty fun to drive, but I have had to bring it to the shop a minimum of 5 times EACH year that I've owned it. Aside from the irritation of continually having to schedule appts and be without my car, the European parts are expensive and an hour-long diagnostic is required before ANYTHING can be fixed. End result: even to replace a $20 brake light switch, there is a $90 charge for the diagnostic before anything is done for the car. Because Audi was trying to be so artistic with this car, it's a pain to do even the smallest thing such as putting on the spare tire and if you have a blowout once the tires are below a certain tread depth, you have to replace all 4 tires.

Favorite Features

Interior styling, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

This is by far the most unreliable car I've ever owned. How about making a car that doesn't break every other month?

The Best
By jazzextra

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Audi TT for just about 6 years and it has been a dream. I'm a drummer playing for small trios, amazingly I can fit my entire drum kit in the back if I put the back seats down and very comfortably. I get more compliments on this car than any of my previous.

Favorite Features

I think the body style is chic and minimal, to me it's just class all around. I also enjoy the interior with the retro industrial type of look and feel. When you drive this car you really feel like you're in a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Replacing chips can be costly but they don't go out often so this is a blessing. I recently had to change the battery (still had the original) and the whole transmission had to be reset which was a pain.

Avoid this car.
By Disappointed Owner

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this car for over three years now. I have replaced or repaired the following: 2 o2 sensors ($750), MAF sensor ($400), timing belt & fuel pump ($600), CV boot X2 ($200), fuel sending unit ($675), both power windows motors ($1050), exhaust manifold ($1400), headlight bulbs X2 ($275), oil leak ($150), vacuum leak ($275), instrument cluster ($900).... there are other repairs I have done.... but just can't recall right now. Add it up, it is about $7000 in repairs. Take my advice, this car is unreliable and normal repairs are very expensive. Avoid this car!!

Favorite Features

Great hazard lights, come in very handy when car breaks down.

WAY too many maintenance issues
By Former TT lover

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned this TT since February of 2002, and I would estimate that I've already had to take it into the dealer to be repaired at least 30 times - and this is not an exaggeration. It's a fun car with good styling but if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a different car. Inflated european repair costs aside, it's a royal pain to have to bring this car to the dealership over & over again. There weren't many comparable options when I bought my TT...but now that there are, I'm planning to sell mine and buy a japanese sports car instead so that I can spend more time driving it and less time leaving it at a repair shop.

Favorite Features

Great styling, good handling, VERY comfortable seats, good-sounding Bose audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a different car. This car badly needs reliability. Because Audi was trying to be so artistic with this car, it's also a pain to do even the smallest thing, such as putting on the spare tire.

Fun but not without issues
By Old TT Driver

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my TT in Dec 03 with 39000 miles on it. Quick off the line and handled great but the car was constantly at the dealer. The issues I had: rear trunk lock broke, replaced rear deck lid, window motors replaced twice, turbo failed 5 times, a/c compressor went out twice and entire a/c system replaced-interior panels broke during removal and were replaced. New battery, alternator and O2 sensor. Multiple rattles and car would shake at idle especially when a/c on-dealer could not fix. Glove box broke but not covered under warranty- $900. Brakes under warranty $2000 and timing belt service $1700-found water pump leaking. Just got rid of because assured warranty up.

Favorite Features

Fast, styling, 6 speed transmission. Corners great. Audi assured warranty.

Suggested Improvements

You get used to the speed and want more torque after driving a couple of months. I added an 8 inch bass tube which is removable which really enhanced the bose stereo. A/C and turbo unreliable.