Used 2001 Audi TT Coupe Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi TT Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT Coupe

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Fun while it lasted
By ninjapuppy

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my 2001 225 quattro for a little over 4 years and it was a fun, sporty car used as a daily driver (New England weather was no problem for it with some snow tires). However things started to go wrong around 60k and it was in and out of the shop for one thing or another during my last year of ownership. Small problems like faulty sensors and door locks not working to control arms breaking and some engine problems. Finally got rid of it when, at only 68k, the timing belt snapped and the top end was destroyed. I did buy it second hand with 23k on it so that could have played a huge roll since I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. Overall, good car, just have to take care of it.

Looks, speed, and just a lot of fun to drive. Beautiful black leather interior with aluminum accents and unmistakable body design.

Reliability... that's about it. Maybe more support in the seats... 3 hour+ trips become a pain in the back.

Disappointing & Unreliable
By msjoanne

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my TT certified/pre-owned. Enjoyed the car for almost a year and then the saga began. Towed to the dealership at least 3 times ($200 a pop), had to take it in for oil and coolant leaks twice, had to flush cooling system 3 times, overheating issues, mass flow air sensor broke, immobilizer for keyless remote needed to be reprogrammed, ac stopped working, fan broke, speed sensor broke 1 mile after leaving service. These weren't even general maintenance!! Can't believe I had to waste so much time and energy for this car.

I thought the body of the car was definitely unique and the interior was also quite pleasing.

Bigger windows. I had to turn drink holders sideway's at drive throughs to get it in the car. I also thought it was too much of a challenge to get your drink in and out of the cupholders because it's in such an odd spot. Also, why put in back seats if you have to be 4'11" to sit comfortably.

A beautiful speed machine!
By EX

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For the money, this is the best sports car on the road hands down. I've had this car (225HP-Quatro-AWD) almost 7 years now, and I've only had very minor issues. Looks incredible, and performs almost as well as it's looks. I drive it in NYC/NJ/CT, and it can handle the road(one of the worst infrastructures around) as well as all the bad drivers due to its speed and handling. Performs very well in poor conditions, but I would recommend snow tires for extreme conditions. Good room, solid storage for its size, but you won't be able to fit an adult in the back seat. Very well built and durable. I'm 6'3" 225 and I'm very comfortable in it. Nice amenities-sound-seats-dash-controls-very user friendly!

Looks. Engine performance-can blow away 95% of the cars on the road. Handling is its best feature, but the hot engine will always make you smile! Good fuel economy-about 26-30 highway 20-24 city-depends on how fast you drive. Turns everyone's heads-even Ferrari drivers!

Cup holders are a pain, but manageable.

Huge pain, continually in the auto shop
By supafunkyfx

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is pretty fun to drive, but I have had to bring it to the shop a minimum of 5 times EACH year that I've owned it. Aside from the irritation of continually having to schedule appts and be without my car, the European parts are expensive and an hour-long diagnostic is required before ANYTHING can be fixed. End result: even to replace a $20 brake light switch, there is a $90 charge for the diagnostic before anything is done for the car. Because Audi was trying to be so artistic with this car, it's a pain to do even the smallest thing such as putting on the spare tire and if you have a blowout once the tires are below a certain tread depth, you have to replace all 4 tires.

Interior styling, sound system.

This is by far the most unreliable car I've ever owned. How about making a car that doesn't break every other month?

The Best
By jazzextra

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Audi TT for just about 6 years and it has been a dream. I'm a drummer playing for small trios, amazingly I can fit my entire drum kit in the back if I put the back seats down and very comfortably. I get more compliments on this car than any of my previous.

I think the body style is chic and minimal, to me it's just class all around. I also enjoy the interior with the retro industrial type of look and feel. When you drive this car you really feel like you're in a sports car.

Replacing chips can be costly but they don't go out often so this is a blessing. I recently had to change the battery (still had the original) and the whole transmission had to be reset which was a pain.