2001 Audi TT Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
Fun, disappointing reliability
By Airspeed on 03/19/08 14:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun to drive, handles nicely. But problems problem problems. Too cost conscious in engineering - will never buy Audi again. Stuff that should not happen at below 35,000 miles, and don't happen to my Benz with 120,000 miles! Too many problems to list - bearings, turbo, brake disks, joint boots, instrument panel, rain leaks frying electronics, O2 sensor, all at less than 35k miles! And I'm told by one of my mechanics it's one of the less troublesome recent Audis!

It's a blast.
By dpwoods on 01/31/08 17:48 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased used just over 2 years ago, had 40K miles. I added 26K miles and only had a mass air flow sensor fail. This Quattro is great fun stock but if you have the money I highly recommend 18" rims with 235/40ZR 18 tires, cross drilled & vented rotors all around with ceramic brake pads. Also recommend perf chip and machined piston diverter valve. Now it's an absolute blast to drive. Even if you don't do any of the above invest in the diverter valve, the stock part is a poor design and inefficient causing turbo lag while shifting. And for heavens sake change the timimg belt every 60K miles and at the same time change over to a water pump w/metal impeller and v-belt tensioner w/metal roller.

Buyer Beware
By Disapointed in Houst on 01/07/08 12:41 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Consider the TT a hole that you will pour lots of money into. The reliability is horrible, and the repairs extremely expensive.

Smooth TT
By Smooth TT on 12/31/07 15:12 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Audi TT is joy to drive! I purchased my TT in Mar 2006 with 36,000 miles. The handling is amazing! The turbo lag takes getting use to; however, once you master the intricacies of driving the TT you will truly enjoy the full driving experience.

Lot's of Fun!
By Bullitt on 12/09/07 21:35 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This may be the best used car I've ever bought. Like another ad I saw recently, when I turn this car on, THIS one definitely returns the favor. Lots of fun in Quattro. Solid fun in the curves, rain, & snow. Compliments are plenty. I haven't had any bad maintenence issues yet. My only complaint is oil leaks. I suggest changing the timing belt early at 60K, along with the oil seals, water pump, etc. Then drive it another 60K like you stole it!

Amazing in all weather
By LL on 02/03/07 17:07 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got the TT in may, loving the summer usability, and the AWD makes it drivable year round. I am in Colorado and we have had a BAD winter so far this year, and I have not had a single day I had any trouble! Wonderful all around, I couldn't have picked a better car!

Fun Car, Expensive to Maintain
By TT on 11/29/06 09:30 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car, fun to drive, looks great, but there have been many repair issues, far more than I would have expected for this level of car.

A mint condition Audi sports car
By CHUCK HUGHES on 10/18/06 11:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is fun to drive with a "turbo" boost. It looks like a new one and drives like one also. New snow tires make this all wheel drive one that goes in the winter unlike some sports cars you need to park for 6 months. Total original miles is 23,400. Garage kept makes it a Beauty!

Fun Car!
By Kris on 08/22/06 14:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. My first convertible. The power roof is easy and quick, I can drop it down or put it up easily at a stop light. I have also had an issue with the squeak/clunky noise that a couple other reviewers noticed but it hasn't caused any major issues. I have had a couple expensive repairs with the water pump and oil gaskets and such. but it's been basically very reliable. and it's a beautiful car! My favorite is the baseball leather interior, makes the car stand out from all the other black leather-clad interiors of comparable cars.

Looks great on the flatbed.
By TTerrible on 06/29/06 12:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Problems too numerous to list but Audi 1.8T motors have well known timing belt failure issues that cause major engine damage. Failure typically occurs well before 90,000 service interval. research A4 class action lawsuit. Expensive to buy, insure, maintain and, most of all, repair. Too many computer chips and sensors that fail regularly. I have been left stranded on the roadside twice in 6 months by serious mechanical failures that were expensive to repair. Don't buy one as a primary vehicle. Definitely don't buy one used. Better yet, don't buy one at all. I have owned mine for two years and it has had 5 or 6 significant repairs that required me to drive a loaner or rental car for a few days