Used 2001 Audi TT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi TT Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Audi
By Lawrence

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2001 Audi TT Roadster offers great driving performance and very reasonable gas mileage. Maintenance has been a nightmare. Let's face it - for a $45,000 machine touted as a marvel of German engineering, much of the workmanship on this car is definitely on the 'el cheapo' side. Just to mention a few things: replaced timing belt/tensioner TWICE in 2005 and 2007 ($1400 each time). The power top died in 2005 and I don't want to pay $2000 to replace it so I use manual lower and raise on the top. Just last week the window in the rear came unglued from the top. This is not really fixable. Replacement cost: about $3100.

looks cute

Scrap the model and start over.

Turbo lovers!
By turbo dreams audi tt

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2001 Audi TT 225 quattro is an underdog in my eyes! With the AWD system launching off the line, and putting you into your seat smoothly accelerating from 0-60 in under 7 seconds. For 30,000 dollars I think it's worth every penny. Most of all there are many performance upgrades for the TT. The Audi TT is a car that can meet the needs of anyone who just loves to be noticed or loves to drive!

I'd have to say AWD system!

A bigger power plant with bigger turbos.

Good looking car
By Brian Connolly

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have about 110k on this car now, had several problems, the most serious being the instrument cluster (not covered by Audi) also the rear window melted away from the soft-top with no obvious way to glue it back on. The TT is a good looking car, comfortable and fun to drive with that unique Audi look but with the experience I've had together with the type of problems I've had I won't be buying another Audi.

Ageless look, solid feel, big for a 2 seater

Improve reliability and build

Why my TT will be retired to my garage
By LRF

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had engine problems from day one. I was able to overlook this because it was a thrill to drive. When I hit 52000 mi. Audi replaced the engine. Totally happy driver. I now have 110,000 mi. I have a new car ordered but the TT has the garage for keeps.

I would change nothing.

Make it repair shop friendly not just dealer. It is too costly for repairs.

Turbo Charged Ride
By bill

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, however before buying make sure that the electronics for the odometer, fuel tank, speedometer have been replaced. Original uses an Italian chip that costs almost $1800 for a dealer replacement. Also, the glass wind screen on the convertible has a binding problem on the track that means the entire unit must be replaced at a cost of more than a thousand dollars! Oh yes, and if the glass is broken there is no replacement, you gotta buy the whole unit. Aside from the above, it is a great car, great performance, holds the road equally well in rain or snow due to the AWD. I would buy another one for sure. Get the 225hp, not the 180hp. The extra horses make a big difference.

225 engine, awd and the beauty of the stlying