2001 Audi TT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
Why my TT will be retired to my garage
By LRF on 08/20/08 14:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had engine problems from day one. I was able to overlook this because it was a thrill to drive. When I hit 52000 mi. Audi replaced the engine. Totally happy driver. I now have 110,000 mi. I have a new car ordered but the TT has the garage for keeps.

Turbo Charged Ride
By bill on 07/18/08 08:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, however before buying make sure that the electronics for the odometer, fuel tank, speedometer have been replaced. Original uses an Italian chip that costs almost $1800 for a dealer replacement. Also, the glass wind screen on the convertible has a binding problem on the track that means the entire unit must be replaced at a cost of more than a thousand dollars! Oh yes, and if the glass is broken there is no replacement, you gotta buy the whole unit. Aside from the above, it is a great car, great performance, holds the road equally well in rain or snow due to the AWD. I would buy another one for sure. Get the 225hp, not the 180hp. The extra horses make a big difference.

A beautiful speed machine!
By EX on 06/30/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For the money, this is the best sports car on the road hands down. I've had this car (225HP-Quatro-AWD) almost 7 years now, and I've only had very minor issues. Looks incredible, and performs almost as well as it's looks. I drive it in NYC/NJ/CT, and it can handle the road(one of the worst infrastructures around) as well as all the bad drivers due to its speed and handling. Performs very well in poor conditions, but I would recommend snow tires for extreme conditions. Good room, solid storage for its size, but you won't be able to fit an adult in the back seat. Very well built and durable. I'm 6'3" 225 and I'm very comfortable in it. Nice amenities-sound-seats-dash-controls-very user friendly!

Retirement gift
By Rayman on 05/25/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Like other owners I have had some repairs but not as serious: lights and winshield wiper fluid reservoir. The major item was the instrument cluster which Audi finally settled the lawsuit. Upgraded shocks, exhaust and intake manifold make the car more fun to drive than ever.

Fantastic Car!
By PorscheTech911 on 05/24/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! It handles well, drives well, looks awesome, easy to use, plenty of space for big guys (im 6'3" 300lbs) I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone. The car isn't too bad on maintanance and up keep.

Fun, disappointing reliability
By Airspeed on 03/19/08 14:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun to drive, handles nicely. But problems problem problems. Too cost conscious in engineering - will never buy Audi again. Stuff that should not happen at below 35,000 miles, and don't happen to my Benz with 120,000 miles! Too many problems to list - bearings, turbo, brake disks, joint boots, instrument panel, rain leaks frying electronics, O2 sensor, all at less than 35k miles! And I'm told by one of my mechanics it's one of the less troublesome recent Audis!

It's a blast.
By dpwoods on 01/31/08 17:48 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased used just over 2 years ago, had 40K miles. I added 26K miles and only had a mass air flow sensor fail. This Quattro is great fun stock but if you have the money I highly recommend 18" rims with 235/40ZR 18 tires, cross drilled & vented rotors all around with ceramic brake pads. Also recommend perf chip and machined piston diverter valve. Now it's an absolute blast to drive. Even if you don't do any of the above invest in the diverter valve, the stock part is a poor design and inefficient causing turbo lag while shifting. And for heavens sake change the timimg belt every 60K miles and at the same time change over to a water pump w/metal impeller and v-belt tensioner w/metal roller.

Buyer Beware
By Disapointed in Houst on 01/07/08 12:41 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Consider the TT a hole that you will pour lots of money into. The reliability is horrible, and the repairs extremely expensive.

Smooth TT
By Smooth TT on 12/31/07 15:12 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Audi TT is joy to drive! I purchased my TT in Mar 2006 with 36,000 miles. The handling is amazing! The turbo lag takes getting use to; however, once you master the intricacies of driving the TT you will truly enjoy the full driving experience.

Lot's of Fun!
By Bullitt on 12/09/07 21:35 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This may be the best used car I've ever bought. Like another ad I saw recently, when I turn this car on, THIS one definitely returns the favor. Lots of fun in Quattro. Solid fun in the curves, rain, & snow. Compliments are plenty. I haven't had any bad maintenence issues yet. My only complaint is oil leaks. I suggest changing the timing belt early at 60K, along with the oil seals, water pump, etc. Then drive it another 60K like you stole it!