2001 Audi TT Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
Do not buy!
By yunaluna on 02/17/12 20:00 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a very fun to drive and very cute sporty car but it's not worth the trouble. I've owned this car 2 years and replaced the temperature sensor twice and the temperature housing. I've replaced all 4 tires, water pump, alternator, battery, shift rod, and had the transmission rebuilt. It kept blowing fuses I'd have to dig in and replace every few weeks. The oil change is expensive. I've spent more on this car than it's worth just trying to maintain it. It just spent literally 2 months in the shop for the shift rod and transmission with parts being on back order and so on. The phrase "cost an arm and a leg" does not begin to cover it. This car has cost me my soul! It is the devil.

Can't believe it
By carguy on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have read every review, looked at so many different cars and got lucky enough to find this one. I had heard of problems with the car, but in the 6 years that we have had it, it is the best car I ever owned. Knock on wood, frequent oil changes and a timing belt change have been my only expenses. It gets great mileage, is all wheel drive and can haul plenty of stuff. I now have 142,000 miles on it and it looks as good as the day we picked it up from the dealership. When I tell people the how old it is, they cannot believe. I have had a Boxster, miata, Nissan 350Z and this is still my favorite. Is it the fastest or best handling, no, but it looks great and performs well.

Fun while it lasted
By ninjapuppy on 07/23/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my 2001 225 quattro for a little over 4 years and it was a fun, sporty car used as a daily driver (New England weather was no problem for it with some snow tires). However things started to go wrong around 60k and it was in and out of the shop for one thing or another during my last year of ownership. Small problems like faulty sensors and door locks not working to control arms breaking and some engine problems. Finally got rid of it when, at only 68k, the timing belt snapped and the top end was destroyed. I did buy it second hand with 23k on it so that could have played a huge roll since I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. Overall, good car, just have to take care of it.

Disappointing & Unreliable
By msjoanne on 01/05/09 04:18 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my TT certified/pre-owned. Enjoyed the car for almost a year and then the saga began. Towed to the dealership at least 3 times ($200 a pop), had to take it in for oil and coolant leaks twice, had to flush cooling system 3 times, overheating issues, mass flow air sensor broke, immobilizer for keyless remote needed to be reprogrammed, ac stopped working, fan broke, speed sensor broke 1 mile after leaving service. These weren't even general maintenance!! Can't believe I had to waste so much time and energy for this car.

A beautiful speed machine!
By EX on 06/30/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For the money, this is the best sports car on the road hands down. I've had this car (225HP-Quatro-AWD) almost 7 years now, and I've only had very minor issues. Looks incredible, and performs almost as well as it's looks. I drive it in NYC/NJ/CT, and it can handle the road(one of the worst infrastructures around) as well as all the bad drivers due to its speed and handling. Performs very well in poor conditions, but I would recommend snow tires for extreme conditions. Good room, solid storage for its size, but you won't be able to fit an adult in the back seat. Very well built and durable. I'm 6'3" 225 and I'm very comfortable in it. Nice amenities-sound-seats-dash-controls-very user friendly!

Huge pain, continually in the auto shop
By supafunkyfx on 10/17/07 13:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is pretty fun to drive, but I have had to bring it to the shop a minimum of 5 times EACH year that I've owned it. Aside from the irritation of continually having to schedule appts and be without my car, the European parts are expensive and an hour-long diagnostic is required before ANYTHING can be fixed. End result: even to replace a $20 brake light switch, there is a $90 charge for the diagnostic before anything is done for the car. Because Audi was trying to be so artistic with this car, it's a pain to do even the smallest thing such as putting on the spare tire and if you have a blowout once the tires are below a certain tread depth, you have to replace all 4 tires.

The Best
By jazzextra on 09/18/07 13:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Audi TT for just about 6 years and it has been a dream. I'm a drummer playing for small trios, amazingly I can fit my entire drum kit in the back if I put the back seats down and very comfortably. I get more compliments on this car than any of my previous.

Avoid this car.
By Disappointed Owner on 11/17/06 13:29 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this car for over three years now. I have replaced or repaired the following: 2 o2 sensors ($750), MAF sensor ($400), timing belt & fuel pump ($600), CV boot X2 ($200), fuel sending unit ($675), both power windows motors ($1050), exhaust manifold ($1400), headlight bulbs X2 ($275), oil leak ($150), vacuum leak ($275), instrument cluster ($900).... there are other repairs I have done.... but just can't recall right now. Add it up, it is about $7000 in repairs. Take my advice, this car is unreliable and normal repairs are very expensive. Avoid this car!!

WAY too many maintenance issues
By Former TT lover on 05/02/06 14:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned this TT since February of 2002, and I would estimate that I've already had to take it into the dealer to be repaired at least 30 times - and this is not an exaggeration. It's a fun car with good styling but if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a different car. Inflated european repair costs aside, it's a royal pain to have to bring this car to the dealership over & over again. There weren't many comparable options when I bought my TT...but now that there are, I'm planning to sell mine and buy a japanese sports car instead so that I can spend more time driving it and less time leaving it at a repair shop.

Fun but not without issues
By Old TT Driver on 04/17/06 22:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my TT in Dec 03 with 39000 miles on it. Quick off the line and handled great but the car was constantly at the dealer. The issues I had: rear trunk lock broke, replaced rear deck lid, window motors replaced twice, turbo failed 5 times, a/c compressor went out twice and entire a/c system replaced-interior panels broke during removal and were replaced. New battery, alternator and O2 sensor. Multiple rattles and car would shake at idle especially when a/c on-dealer could not fix. Glove box broke but not covered under warranty- $900. Brakes under warranty $2000 and timing belt service $1700-found water pump leaking. Just got rid of because assured warranty up.

1 2 3 4 5 next »