Used 2001 Audi TT Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi TT Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Great little car most new cars still can't compete
By Scott

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my TT Quattro coupe since 2006. Bought it used from a guy that was as meticulous with it as I am. The only issue was the timing belt. it let go and cost a good chunk to get the engine rebuilt (my fault for not changing it sooner)... better than new now. If you are looking for one, ask for receipts on repairs/upkeep! In the 9 years I've owned it... I've replaced or rebuilt: engine, fuel pump (very spendy there), drive lines, rotors and the water pump(this has plastic impellers from the factory - change out for metal impeller pump). Total about 6K in repairs... but waaay worth it. I know what issues it has had and what has been repaired... no new 'can of worms' in some other used luxury sports car! It is at 124K miles now and should last me another 145K easy! Close to 30 mpg on the highway, 24-26 in the city (depending on my driving tendencies). I still get people staring and asking about it. I have the Black/black quattro. People are blown away when i tell them it is a 2001! 14 years old and still looks better and drives better than most cookie cutter 'sports cars' put out these days. Not to mention the gas mileage is equal to or better than most 2015 models! Tis a great date night car with the wife. She still gets all giddy when i 'let' her drive it!

Do not buy!
By yunaluna

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a very fun to drive and very cute sporty car but it's not worth the trouble. I've owned this car 2 years and replaced the temperature sensor twice and the temperature housing. I've replaced all 4 tires, water pump, alternator, battery, shift rod, and had the transmission rebuilt. It kept blowing fuses I'd have to dig in and replace every few weeks. The oil change is expensive. I've spent more on this car than it's worth just trying to maintain it. It just spent literally 2 months in the shop for the shift rod and transmission with parts being on back order and so on. The phrase "cost an arm and a leg" does not begin to cover it. This car has cost me my soul! It is the devil.

Can't believe it
By carguy

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have read every review, looked at so many different cars and got lucky enough to find this one. I had heard of problems with the car, but in the 6 years that we have had it, it is the best car I ever owned. Knock on wood, frequent oil changes and a timing belt change have been my only expenses. It gets great mileage, is all wheel drive and can haul plenty of stuff. I now have 142,000 miles on it and it looks as good as the day we picked it up from the dealership. When I tell people the how old it is, they cannot believe. I have had a Boxster, miata, Nissan 350Z and this is still my favorite. Is it the fastest or best handling, no, but it looks great and performs well.

Interior fit and finish sets the bar for all other manufacturers. I still have the original floor mats because they were made so well. The stereo is also very good. The entire interior layout is perfect. Everything is at your finger tips and has a purpose.

Would absolutely love to see the baseball stitching available for the coupe.

Fun while it lasted
By ninjapuppy

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my 2001 225 quattro for a little over 4 years and it was a fun, sporty car used as a daily driver (New England weather was no problem for it with some snow tires). However things started to go wrong around 60k and it was in and out of the shop for one thing or another during my last year of ownership. Small problems like faulty sensors and door locks not working to control arms breaking and some engine problems. Finally got rid of it when, at only 68k, the timing belt snapped and the top end was destroyed. I did buy it second hand with 23k on it so that could have played a huge roll since I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. Overall, good car, just have to take care of it.

Looks, speed, and just a lot of fun to drive. Beautiful black leather interior with aluminum accents and unmistakable body design.

Reliability... that's about it. Maybe more support in the seats... 3 hour+ trips become a pain in the back.

Disappointing & Unreliable
By msjoanne

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my TT certified/pre-owned. Enjoyed the car for almost a year and then the saga began. Towed to the dealership at least 3 times ($200 a pop), had to take it in for oil and coolant leaks twice, had to flush cooling system 3 times, overheating issues, mass flow air sensor broke, immobilizer for keyless remote needed to be reprogrammed, ac stopped working, fan broke, speed sensor broke 1 mile after leaving service. These weren't even general maintenance!! Can't believe I had to waste so much time and energy for this car.

I thought the body of the car was definitely unique and the interior was also quite pleasing.

Bigger windows. I had to turn drink holders sideway's at drive throughs to get it in the car. I also thought it was too much of a challenge to get your drink in and out of the cupholders because it's in such an odd spot. Also, why put in back seats if you have to be 4'11" to sit comfortably.

• SUV