2001 Audi TT Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
Nightmare to own
By DirtRider on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car used, 1st week turbo fell off and the stability control computer failed. Dealer replaced and repaired no charge. After that over 4000 miles had to repair, brakes, tires replaced, timing belt and water pump, oil leaks, fuel lines, all hoses for turbo over $2000 in parts! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND to my worst enemy. Terrible car don't waste your money!

Fun car - lots of problems!
By Airspeed on 04/20/10 10:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought it new, had it services on schedule every time. Once off warranty, started servicing myself, delving into the car. Problems in build and engine design quality too many to mention, and expensive to repair. Once you fix something, something else fails. Those of you having bought it used wondering if the problem was the "previous owner" - nope, we bought it new, meticulously had it maintained under warranty, and it started going to hell in a hand basket nonetheless. Audi's real motto is "Vorsprung durch SCHLECHTE Technik! (Advancement through BAD technology!)" Total miles: 36,000 (I'm not kidding!)

Fun Car - Very Poor Reliability
By Justin on 04/01/10 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my car with 30,000 miles. At 40,000 miles (5 yrs old) all the problems started. Alternator went bad, serpentine belt replaced four times, tensioner replaced, air sensor, fuel gage gives incorrect reading. I always have preventative work done to prevent timing belt issues (common). The car is very fun to drive and well engineered. My newer Infiniti doesn't have all the special features that Audi crammed into this little car. The top goes up and down in about six seconds so I'm never caught in the rain. Having been a Honda/Toyota owner I am disappointed in the reliability of the Audi since it has broken down four times in six years.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Audi
By Lawrence on 08/17/09 04:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2001 Audi TT Roadster offers great driving performance and very reasonable gas mileage. Maintenance has been a nightmare. Let's face it - for a $45,000 machine touted as a marvel of German engineering, much of the workmanship on this car is definitely on the 'el cheapo' side. Just to mention a few things: replaced timing belt/tensioner TWICE in 2005 and 2007 ($1400 each time). The power top died in 2005 and I don't want to pay $2000 to replace it so I use manual lower and raise on the top. Just last week the window in the rear came unglued from the top. This is not really fixable. Replacement cost: about $3100.

Turbo lovers!
By turbo dreams audi tt on 11/29/08 23:34 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2001 Audi TT 225 quattro is an underdog in my eyes! With the AWD system launching off the line, and putting you into your seat smoothly accelerating from 0-60 in under 7 seconds. For 30,000 dollars I think it's worth every penny. Most of all there are many performance upgrades for the TT. The Audi TT is a car that can meet the needs of anyone who just loves to be noticed or loves to drive!

Good looking car
By Brian Connolly on 08/31/08 08:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have about 110k on this car now, had several problems, the most serious being the instrument cluster (not covered by Audi) also the rear window melted away from the soft-top with no obvious way to glue it back on. The TT is a good looking car, comfortable and fun to drive with that unique Audi look but with the experience I've had together with the type of problems I've had I won't be buying another Audi.

Why my TT will be retired to my garage
By LRF on 08/20/08 14:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had engine problems from day one. I was able to overlook this because it was a thrill to drive. When I hit 52000 mi. Audi replaced the engine. Totally happy driver. I now have 110,000 mi. I have a new car ordered but the TT has the garage for keeps.

Turbo Charged Ride
By bill on 07/18/08 08:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, however before buying make sure that the electronics for the odometer, fuel tank, speedometer have been replaced. Original uses an Italian chip that costs almost $1800 for a dealer replacement. Also, the glass wind screen on the convertible has a binding problem on the track that means the entire unit must be replaced at a cost of more than a thousand dollars! Oh yes, and if the glass is broken there is no replacement, you gotta buy the whole unit. Aside from the above, it is a great car, great performance, holds the road equally well in rain or snow due to the AWD. I would buy another one for sure. Get the 225hp, not the 180hp. The extra horses make a big difference.

Retirement gift
By Rayman on 05/25/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Like other owners I have had some repairs but not as serious: lights and winshield wiper fluid reservoir. The major item was the instrument cluster which Audi finally settled the lawsuit. Upgraded shocks, exhaust and intake manifold make the car more fun to drive than ever.

Fantastic Car!
By PorscheTech911 on 05/24/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! It handles well, drives well, looks awesome, easy to use, plenty of space for big guys (im 6'3" 300lbs) I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone. The car isn't too bad on maintanance and up keep.