Used 2001 Audi TT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi Tt - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT Convertible

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Fun car - lots of problems!
By Airspeed

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought it new, had it services on schedule every time. Once off warranty, started servicing myself, delving into the car. Problems in build and engine design quality too many to mention, and expensive to repair. Once you fix something, something else fails. Those of you having bought it used wondering if the problem was the "previous owner" - nope, we bought it new, meticulously had it maintained under warranty, and it started going to hell in a hand basket nonetheless. Audi's real motto is "Vorsprung durch SCHLECHTE Technik! (Advancement through BAD technology!)" Total miles: 36,000 (I'm not kidding!)

Favorite Features

When all works - ride, acceleration, handling, convertible top, overall appearance and style - all A+!

Suggested Improvements

Build quality in engine, suspension, even the frame. Seems it was thought out to be a cool, throw-away automobile. Electronics de-compose, intentionally perhaps (new air bag computer, central door locking computer, instrument cluster, we'll see what's next.)

I love my Audi TT
By sydthekid

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm very surprised by most of these reviews. I've owned mine since 2008 and it was my very first car with 93,000 miles on it. Paid 11,000 for it. It's now at 174,000. Over the course of 7 years I've replaced the computer, water pump, all hoses, all belts, 1 ball joint and a great deal of the rear suspension. Most of these things I replaced just to do it. The water pump did fail and I've had many issues with the rear suspension. Over all this car has ran great for me and has been very reliable over all these years. I plan on driving this car until the motor blows up.

Favorite Features

It's a pretty fast car and handles great for a "beginner" high performance sports car. It's very safe and will default to under-steer if you take a turn too fast. It's also pretty roomy compared to most roadsters. The stock sound system is great. It will also go in the snow pretty well.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Audi
By Lawrence

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2001 Audi TT Roadster offers great driving performance and very reasonable gas mileage. Maintenance has been a nightmare. Let's face it - for a $45,000 machine touted as a marvel of German engineering, much of the workmanship on this car is definitely on the 'el cheapo' side. Just to mention a few things: replaced timing belt/tensioner TWICE in 2005 and 2007 ($1400 each time). The power top died in 2005 and I don't want to pay $2000 to replace it so I use manual lower and raise on the top. Just last week the window in the rear came unglued from the top. This is not really fixable. Replacement cost: about $3100.

Favorite Features

looks cute

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the model and start over.

Nightmare to own
By DirtRider

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car used, 1st week turbo fell off and the stability control computer failed. Dealer replaced and repaired no charge. After that over 4000 miles had to repair, brakes, tires replaced, timing belt and water pump, oil leaks, fuel lines, all hoses for turbo over $2000 in parts! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND to my worst enemy. Terrible car don't waste your money!

Favorite Features

Looks great, handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Have Mazda, Toyota or Honda engineers design and build it so it would work.

Fun Car - Very Poor Reliability
By Justin

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my car with 30,000 miles. At 40,000 miles (5 yrs old) all the problems started. Alternator went bad, serpentine belt replaced four times, tensioner replaced, air sensor, fuel gage gives incorrect reading. I always have preventative work done to prevent timing belt issues (common). The car is very fun to drive and well engineered. My newer Infiniti doesn't have all the special features that Audi crammed into this little car. The top goes up and down in about six seconds so I'm never caught in the rain. Having been a Honda/Toyota owner I am disappointed in the reliability of the Audi since it has broken down four times in six years.

Favorite Features

Quick operating convertible top. Best in class interior. Fun handling and powerplant - perfect for country roads. Smooth clutch.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability needs significant improvement. I would only buy a new Audi since a used one can be a repair nightmare. It could not be used for a daily driver imo.