Used 2001 Audi TT Convertible Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi TT Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:

A car with problems, but if you can live with them
By Dave DeLong

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2001 TT had numerous electrical problems, and mine is no exception. I blame it on the used car dealer I bought it from, who messed up quite a number of things... seems like I have run into a series of issues that are annoying, but not debilitating. Due to turbo lag and AWD it is a bit slow off the line (compared to my old Z car and 79 Trans Am), but the car is very strong in the mountains and on the highway. It is a great cruising car on the open road, and handles well up to about 110 mph. My wife and I got silly while out on the plains of eastern Colorado and tried to find out how fast it was... at 115 it was still accelerating smoothly, but the car started to feel kind of like it was floating, and we lost our nerve.

My goal is to actually FIX all the minor problems I have on this car and figure out how it goes when I've got those sorted out... I refuse to be beaten by this car.

It looks terrific, you don't see too many of them any more, and (when it's not driving me nuts with a minor problem) is a pleasure to drive. Experience tells me though, there aren't any "just okay" versions of this model year... you either got a good one and are among the huge fans of the car, or you got a money pit you can't wait to get rid of... have a mechanic you trust check the car out carefully, and you can get one heck of a car.

I love my Audi TT
By sydthekid

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm very surprised by most of these reviews. I've owned mine since 2008 and it was my very first car with 93,000 miles on it. Paid 11,000 for it. It's now at 174,000. Over the course of 7 years I've replaced the computer, water pump, all hoses, all belts, 1 ball joint and a great deal of the rear suspension. Most of these things I replaced just to do it. The water pump did fail and I've had many issues with the rear suspension. Over all this car has ran great for me and has been very reliable over all these years. I plan on driving this car until the motor blows up.

It's a pretty fast car and handles great for a "beginner" high performance sports car. It's very safe and will default to under-steer if you take a turn too fast. It's also pretty roomy compared to most roadsters. The stock sound system is great. It will also go in the snow pretty well.

Nightmare to own
By DirtRider

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car used, 1st week turbo fell off and the stability control computer failed. Dealer replaced and repaired no charge. After that over 4000 miles had to repair, brakes, tires replaced, timing belt and water pump, oil leaks, fuel lines, all hoses for turbo over $2000 in parts! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND to my worst enemy. Terrible car don't waste your money!

Looks great, handles well.

Have Mazda, Toyota or Honda engineers design and build it so it would work.

Fun car - lots of problems!
By Airspeed

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought it new, had it services on schedule every time. Once off warranty, started servicing myself, delving into the car. Problems in build and engine design quality too many to mention, and expensive to repair. Once you fix something, something else fails. Those of you having bought it used wondering if the problem was the "previous owner" - nope, we bought it new, meticulously had it maintained under warranty, and it started going to hell in a hand basket nonetheless. Audi's real motto is "Vorsprung durch SCHLECHTE Technik! (Advancement through BAD technology!)" Total miles: 36,000 (I'm not kidding!)

When all works - ride, acceleration, handling, convertible top, overall appearance and style - all A+!

Build quality in engine, suspension, even the frame. Seems it was thought out to be a cool, throw-away automobile. Electronics de-compose, intentionally perhaps (new air bag computer, central door locking computer, instrument cluster, we'll see what's next.)

Fun Car - Very Poor Reliability
By Justin

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my car with 30,000 miles. At 40,000 miles (5 yrs old) all the problems started. Alternator went bad, serpentine belt replaced four times, tensioner replaced, air sensor, fuel gage gives incorrect reading. I always have preventative work done to prevent timing belt issues (common). The car is very fun to drive and well engineered. My newer Infiniti doesn't have all the special features that Audi crammed into this little car. The top goes up and down in about six seconds so I'm never caught in the rain. Having been a Honda/Toyota owner I am disappointed in the reliability of the Audi since it has broken down four times in six years.

Quick operating convertible top. Best in class interior. Fun handling and powerplant - perfect for country roads. Smooth clutch.

Reliability needs significant improvement. I would only buy a new Audi since a used one can be a repair nightmare. It could not be used for a daily driver imo.