2001 Audi TT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
Do not buy!
By yunaluna on 02/17/12 20:00 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a very fun to drive and very cute sporty car but it's not worth the trouble. I've owned this car 2 years and replaced the temperature sensor twice and the temperature housing. I've replaced all 4 tires, water pump, alternator, battery, shift rod, and had the transmission rebuilt. It kept blowing fuses I'd have to dig in and replace every few weeks. The oil change is expensive. I've spent more on this car than it's worth just trying to maintain it. It just spent literally 2 months in the shop for the shift rod and transmission with parts being on back order and so on. The phrase "cost an arm and a leg" does not begin to cover it. This car has cost me my soul! It is the devil.

Can't believe it
By carguy on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have read every review, looked at so many different cars and got lucky enough to find this one. I had heard of problems with the car, but in the 6 years that we have had it, it is the best car I ever owned. Knock on wood, frequent oil changes and a timing belt change have been my only expenses. It gets great mileage, is all wheel drive and can haul plenty of stuff. I now have 142,000 miles on it and it looks as good as the day we picked it up from the dealership. When I tell people the how old it is, they cannot believe. I have had a Boxster, miata, Nissan 350Z and this is still my favorite. Is it the fastest or best handling, no, but it looks great and performs well.

Nightmare to own
By DirtRider on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car used, 1st week turbo fell off and the stability control computer failed. Dealer replaced and repaired no charge. After that over 4000 miles had to repair, brakes, tires replaced, timing belt and water pump, oil leaks, fuel lines, all hoses for turbo over $2000 in parts! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND to my worst enemy. Terrible car don't waste your money!

Fun car - lots of problems!
By Airspeed on 04/20/10 10:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought it new, had it services on schedule every time. Once off warranty, started servicing myself, delving into the car. Problems in build and engine design quality too many to mention, and expensive to repair. Once you fix something, something else fails. Those of you having bought it used wondering if the problem was the "previous owner" - nope, we bought it new, meticulously had it maintained under warranty, and it started going to hell in a hand basket nonetheless. Audi's real motto is "Vorsprung durch SCHLECHTE Technik! (Advancement through BAD technology!)" Total miles: 36,000 (I'm not kidding!)

Fun Car - Very Poor Reliability
By Justin on 04/01/10 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my car with 30,000 miles. At 40,000 miles (5 yrs old) all the problems started. Alternator went bad, serpentine belt replaced four times, tensioner replaced, air sensor, fuel gage gives incorrect reading. I always have preventative work done to prevent timing belt issues (common). The car is very fun to drive and well engineered. My newer Infiniti doesn't have all the special features that Audi crammed into this little car. The top goes up and down in about six seconds so I'm never caught in the rain. Having been a Honda/Toyota owner I am disappointed in the reliability of the Audi since it has broken down four times in six years.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Audi
By Lawrence on 08/17/09 04:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2001 Audi TT Roadster offers great driving performance and very reasonable gas mileage. Maintenance has been a nightmare. Let's face it - for a $45,000 machine touted as a marvel of German engineering, much of the workmanship on this car is definitely on the 'el cheapo' side. Just to mention a few things: replaced timing belt/tensioner TWICE in 2005 and 2007 ($1400 each time). The power top died in 2005 and I don't want to pay $2000 to replace it so I use manual lower and raise on the top. Just last week the window in the rear came unglued from the top. This is not really fixable. Replacement cost: about $3100.

Fun while it lasted
By ninjapuppy on 07/23/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my 2001 225 quattro for a little over 4 years and it was a fun, sporty car used as a daily driver (New England weather was no problem for it with some snow tires). However things started to go wrong around 60k and it was in and out of the shop for one thing or another during my last year of ownership. Small problems like faulty sensors and door locks not working to control arms breaking and some engine problems. Finally got rid of it when, at only 68k, the timing belt snapped and the top end was destroyed. I did buy it second hand with 23k on it so that could have played a huge roll since I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. Overall, good car, just have to take care of it.

Disappointing & Unreliable
By msjoanne on 01/05/09 04:18 AM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my TT certified/pre-owned. Enjoyed the car for almost a year and then the saga began. Towed to the dealership at least 3 times ($200 a pop), had to take it in for oil and coolant leaks twice, had to flush cooling system 3 times, overheating issues, mass flow air sensor broke, immobilizer for keyless remote needed to be reprogrammed, ac stopped working, fan broke, speed sensor broke 1 mile after leaving service. These weren't even general maintenance!! Can't believe I had to waste so much time and energy for this car.

Turbo lovers!
By turbo dreams audi tt on 11/29/08 23:34 PM (PST)

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2001 Audi TT 225 quattro is an underdog in my eyes! With the AWD system launching off the line, and putting you into your seat smoothly accelerating from 0-60 in under 7 seconds. For 30,000 dollars I think it's worth every penny. Most of all there are many performance upgrades for the TT. The Audi TT is a car that can meet the needs of anyone who just loves to be noticed or loves to drive!

Good looking car
By Brian Connolly on 08/31/08 08:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have about 110k on this car now, had several problems, the most serious being the instrument cluster (not covered by Audi) also the rear window melted away from the soft-top with no obvious way to glue it back on. The TT is a good looking car, comfortable and fun to drive with that unique Audi look but with the experience I've had together with the type of problems I've had I won't be buying another Audi.