2000 Audi TT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:
YOUR WARNING HAS ARRIVED!!!
By justinharper07 on 02/19/14 16:21 PM (PST)

2000 Audi TT Turbo 2dr Coupe

Super angry!! Had this car for 6 months and my car has 40,000 miles on it!! This car isn't a high mileage car. So where do I begin, lets start with the electrical, a bulb in the tail light went out and fried the whole lamp and some other electrical components- $1100. The radiator fans clutching system went out- $800. The cooling module went out- $900 (causing the turbo to malfunction). The suspension is going out- $????. At 40,000 miles I find this to be a little ridiculous!! In just 6 months! I think this is totally unacceptable!! Go look somewhere else!! I ignored the negative reviews because I thought this was what I wanted... Please don't make the same mistake as me!! Save yourself!!!

Love It, Can't leave it.
By 2 Owner on 12/12/08 09:20 AM (PST)

2000 Audi TT Turbo 2dr Coupe

The Audi TT MK1 was designed to remind us of the Auto Union cars. It was a pure form with Bauhaus influence being key to its creation. I didn't originally agree with the design of the interior, but now I find it to be of such a quality that it puts most other automotive interiors to shame. The car is holding up well appearence wise. I maintain the car myself and find it's upkeep to be easy. I don't trust another mechanic working on my car. I've driven over eighty thousand milesa in my TT and it continues to run without any major events. Changed the timing belt at 66,000 miles. I've replaced the alternator once, the starter three times, the water pump once and other things. I still love it.

Sports car station wagon
By Rich on 08/04/08 09:53 AM (PDT)

2000 Audi TT quattro Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

This car continues to be fun to drive, even after eight years of ownership, the longest I have ever owned one vehicle. What I love most is that for me, it is the perfect compromise between sports car performance and practicality. I have driven it at Sears Point, the most fun I have ever had in two days. I would highly recommend attending track events with your Audi, it was a total blast. On the practical side, I love the outdoors and can stuff camping gear, and a foldable 14 foot kayak in the back (with the seats folded down) and still have sports car performance on the way. There isn't another coupe with this versatility on the market.

This is whats up
By Alistair314 on 06/18/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Audi TT quattro Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

Had this car for 10 months, bought it with 69,000 miles on it. Considering I bought it for 15,000 it was absolutely amazing. Very fun to drive, quite good in the curves except for the mild understeer, and considering the size of the engine (1.8l) very fast. This car also handles remarkably well in snow. Zipping past Wranglers and Tacomas in 10 inches of snow is always fun.

Beautiful Car... But Lots of Problems
By mgio on 03/29/08 19:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Audi TT quattro Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

II've owned my TT for 8+ years and 115,000 miles. It's had it's share of problems and is not cheap to fix: dead water pump, broken steering rack, two broken ABS sensors, broken wheel bearing, dead ECU, misfiring cylinder, two broken instrument clusters, blown Bose speaker, etc. I still feel its one of the best looking cars on the road and it STILL turns heards today eight years later but it's dying at only 115,000 miles and I need to sell it and something at least a little bit reliable. There is nothing like this car out there anymore though. The new TTs just aren't the same.

TT -- a Great Car that has Issues
By Rick on 10/06/07 22:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Audi TT Turbo 2dr Coupe

I had always wanted a TT. It's a beautiful, timeless, distinctive design. Have had many problems with this car so far. Replaced the clutch @ 44k and the water outlet (common problem), $2,500. Then we had window lift mechanism issues, ($1,000). The gas door switch broke ($125), headlight washer -- (the front bumper has to be removed $400). Problems with the back-up lights, etc. Have read other forums that the timing belt can break unexpectedly. Buy a used one if you know how to work on cars. Edmunds repair estimates need to be adjusted upwards. However, the TT handles great and gets good MPG -- important in LA. Presents itself well anywhere. Easy to get in and out of.

Mean design, not so mean performance
By discjedi on 09/13/07 11:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Audi TT quattro Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

When I first took this car out, I was a little disappointed by its lack of pep. Supposedly this car has the same engine that they put into the VW GTI that year, the same GTI that my friend has. My friend's GTI definitely had more go-power, especially in 3rd gear. This car lacked that "mean" mentality even after dropping down from 4th to 3rd to get that extra rev boost. After coming off of a Honda Prelude, shifting seemed a bit sticky and lacked smooth transitions from 1st to 2nd especially. The car's handling was phenomenal even on wet roads and felt glued to the ground the entire way. I love this car because of its head-turning design, handling and ability to amuse!

Worth it to buy but not for racing
By Jim on 04/25/07 20:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Audi TT Turbo 2dr Coupe

Very nice car, interior and exterior. RARE car so gets good attention. 180 hp is not that strong but you're driving for style not for racing.

Audi TT
By audi tt on 01/28/07 16:05 PM (PST)

2000 Audi TT Turbo 2dr Coupe

This is a hot car... it turns heads everywhere I go. Also, on the functional side it is very reliable, no problems at all with it.

Best Bang for the Buck!
By Fun Hatch on 01/18/07 08:08 AM (PST)

2000 Audi TT Turbo 2dr Coupe

I loved the design aspect of the TT. I've been through a few frustrating repairs, but overall I have greatly enjoyed this car and will be purchasing a new TT when the next generation makes it to showrooms. I would easily recommend the TT to anyone, with a side note of expensive repair bills, but it's German... all German cars are expensive to repair.