2001 Audi S8 Consumer Review: After 12 years, still the best

2001 Audi S8 - Consumer Review

quattro Sedan (4.2L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

After 12 years, still the best German sedan
By shogunfc on

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I had many German cars.4 Mercedes,3 BMW, 2 VW,1 Audi and 2 Lexus.I sold my 2006 Audi A8L, to buy a very low mileage 2001 Audi S8. I felt in love with this car, since the first day I saw it, many years ago.The newer A8L is bigger and more luxurious than the older S8, but the S8 gives me a lot of pleasure to drive. It is fast, fun and reliable. I use to get tired of my cars after 6 months. Not this one ! I will keep it for a very long time. The engine on this cars is bulletproof. The main problem they have is the transmission. Most likely it will need a new one, between 120k - 180k. By the way, most cars need a new tranny at that time. It is a timeless masterpiece. My favorite car ever. Icon

Favorite Features

Style, simplicity, aluminum mirrors, sound, interior, stability, fun to drive. Does not have confusing menus and buttons like newer cars have. People who know cars notice you right away, even after 12 years since model came out.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder. Only one ! Two would be nice. Not impressed with the brakes. Expected more from a Brembo set up. Bluetooth would be nice and Ipod connection. I know, car was made in 2001, non of this features existed back than.