Used 2001 Audi S8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi S8 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi S8

quattro 4.2L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

Q Ship
By Wheelb

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This is my favorite sedan in the world for a four season climate. Understated competence, subtle luxury, mysteriousness, and timeless style. I drive it daily, but it shines brightest on 3 or 4 passenger road trips to ski destinations, everyone is supremely comfortable as I power through snow drifts and navigate icy corners. The S8 is very fast and light on her feet because of the strong V8 and light aluminum frame, but cops don't notice her. Pretty darn good mileage for 360 hp, amazing interior finish that is not too complicated or gizmo oriented. Gorgeous dash at night, all the creature comforts you can ask for (ahem, except good cupholders!). It is a fantastic car.

Favorite Features

The sport seats, the sport steering wheel, the sport accelerator pedal! Aluminium frame makes her light on her feet despite the luxurious size.

Suggested Improvements

Okay, you're not supposed to drink anything at 150 mph on the autobahn, but I don't drive on the Autobahn! Sure would like more/better cupholders!

Cool points out the window
By greyjag

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Well I must admit to being newly enamored with the S8 as I just bought one. I like others don't care for the Nav system compared to what $200.00 will buy now, I suppose it was ok in its time.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the engine, I am hoping to find higher performance parts for even more power as this car can take loads of power.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder stinks - I live in coffee city USA.

My Own Private Lear Jet
By Brento's S8

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This is a wonderful car all around and fast and nimble like a Lear jet. Comfort, performance, total package with that understated look. Prefer it over S500 or 740 anyday.

Favorite Features

Power, braking, Quattro, comfort!

Suggested Improvements

High end stereo needs low end sound.

Sports Sedan of the Decade
By ed

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

The 01 to 03 S8 is the best sports sedan of the last 20 years. It is an all business, aluminum engineered masterpiece. Ask any engineer with knowledge and they will agree. I bought it Audi certified with no regrets. I strongly advise buying one of these S8s if you are into subtle from the outside and awesome from the inside type of driving experience. I read another review before I bought that described it as a 4 door Porsche 911... I agree. My wife thought I was nuts for buying a 4 year old car (certified), but now fights for the keys. Can easily carry 2 kids and gear on any excursion. Would buy a certified one with warranty again!!

Favorite Features

Understated outside appearance and sports car / luxury car inside. Factory Recaro seats. Excellent Bose stereo. Suede "Alcantra" interior. Night time red illumination / lighting of the interior. "Snow mobile" like driving characteristics in bad weather. Huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Navi system is a joke. Save the money and get a portable GPS. Integrated bluetooth. More unlock buttons, driver's door contains only unlock button, otherwise passengers have to pull door handle twice to unlock. Too bad that limited production will limit people's access to this historic automobile!

Fantastic Driving Experience
By Toni

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I just bought a 2001 S8. It's my first foreign car. I am completely amazed at this cars performance. I have yet to come close to testing it's abilities but I thoroughly enjoy blowing away any one that thinks they can outperform me! Complete luxury inside, total power and very understated. It's big inside, took getting used to for a smaller woman.

Favorite Features

Responsive, FAST! Great sound system. Too many to list.