Used 2001 Audi S8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi S8 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

quattro 4.2L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

After 12 years, still the best German sedan
By shogunfc

2001 Audi S8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I had many German cars.4 Mercedes,3 BMW, 2 VW,1 Audi and 2 Lexus.I sold my 2006 Audi A8L, to buy a very low mileage 2001 Audi S8. I felt in love with this car, since the first day I saw it, many years ago.The newer A8L is bigger and more luxurious than the older S8, but the S8 gives me a lot of pleasure to drive. It is fast, fun and reliable. I use to get tired of my cars after 6 months. Not this one ! I will keep it for a very long time. The engine on this cars is bulletproof. The main problem they have is the transmission. Most likely it will need a new one, between 120k - 180k. By the way, most cars need a new tranny at that time. It is a timeless masterpiece. My favorite car ever. Icon

Style, simplicity, aluminum mirrors, sound, interior, stability, fun to drive. Does not have confusing menus and buttons like newer cars have. People who know cars notice you right away, even after 12 years since model came out.

Cup holder. Only one ! Two would be nice. Not impressed with the brakes. Expected more from a Brembo set up. Bluetooth would be nice and Ipod connection. I know, car was made in 2001, non of this features existed back than.

The best Audi I've ever owned!
By ioannistx

2001 Audi S8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

The S8 was an over-engineered vehicle by Audi. This has been, hands down, the most reliable, most value-for-the-buck Audi I've ever owned. It's virtually impossible to make the decision to trade it in for a $10k-$12k downpayment for a...mid-size sedan of any type! Amazing build quality, power (even 11 years since first rolled out), comfort, and passive/active safety. My 2001 S8 has 75K miles, and I intent to keep it until it reaches into the 100Ks...

Quality, safety, value.

Transmission---not suprisingly, 7-speed transmission were not technically de rigour back in 2001...

Amazing Automobile
By Pigman

2001 Audi S8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This German car is for drivers; people who love to drive. Of any car I have ever owned this is the one I would pick if I had to drive across the country. It reminds me of an NFL linebacker, big, swift, powerful and nimble all at the same time. I originally purchased it with 92000 miles. It now has 140000 and all I have replaced is tires, idler pulley and serpentine belt and fuel pump. I use 0W40 synthetic oil in it. My wife is now driving it and has fallen in love. She says that it spoils you as you start rating all cars against it, which is unfair. Only 531 imported into us in 2001-2003. It is a German muscle machine made for drivers. DOT governed at 155 mph. (too bad)

Ride, handling, power and interior and exterior work. Fit and finish is luxury gone wild.

The RS6 450 hp power plant. The S8 is the same engine without the RS6 twin turbos.

Supercar
By chris355

2001 Audi S8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

My S8 has a few years on it and I am still absolutely in love with it. I was looking for a sports-orientated car that could carry car seats and groceries and get around in the snowy Pittsburgh winters. This car manages to do that and more - it's like three cars in one! An SUV for winter, a sports sedan for summer and a 4 dr family hauler for all times in between. It's rock solid at high speed, fun to drive and pulls like a locomotive from a stop light! Plus it's faster than almost everything that's going to line up next to you on the street - and you always look like a hero pulling away without wheel spin. It's a true German sleeper.

Suspension, Engine, Seats

New Car
By bwonger

2001 Audi S8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a sports car in a sedan body. Even though it's technically a large car, it doesn't drive like one. The acceleration is almost instant and is plenty fast for all street driving.

My favorite feature is the performance. There are also a bunch of luxury features that are really nice, but in the end, this car is about performance before anything else.

The US Spec Audi S8 didn't get the 6 speed transmission like the European version. If it had a 6 speed manual transmission, this car would be perfect.