2001 Audi S8 - Consumer Reviews

quattro 4.2L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )
After 12 years, still the best German sedan
By shogunfc on 03/07/13 19:41 PM (PST)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I had many German cars.4 Mercedes,3 BMW, 2 VW,1 Audi and 2 Lexus.I sold my 2006 Audi A8L, to buy a very low mileage 2001 Audi S8. I felt in love with this car, since the first day I saw it, many years ago.The newer A8L is bigger and more luxurious than the older S8, but the S8 gives me a lot of pleasure to drive. It is fast, fun and reliable. I use to get tired of my cars after 6 months. Not this one ! I will keep it for a very long time. The engine on this cars is bulletproof. The main problem they have is the transmission. Most likely it will need a new one, between 120k - 180k. By the way, most cars need a new tranny at that time. It is a timeless masterpiece. My favorite car ever. Icon

The best Audi I've ever owned!
By ioannistx on 08/17/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

The S8 was an over-engineered vehicle by Audi. This has been, hands down, the most reliable, most value-for-the-buck Audi I've ever owned. It's virtually impossible to make the decision to trade it in for a $10k-$12k downpayment for a...mid-size sedan of any type! Amazing build quality, power (even 11 years since first rolled out), comfort, and passive/active safety. My 2001 S8 has 75K miles, and I intent to keep it until it reaches into the 100Ks...

Amazing Automobile
By Pigman on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This German car is for drivers; people who love to drive. Of any car I have ever owned this is the one I would pick if I had to drive across the country. It reminds me of an NFL linebacker, big, swift, powerful and nimble all at the same time. I originally purchased it with 92000 miles. It now has 140000 and all I have replaced is tires, idler pulley and serpentine belt and fuel pump. I use 0W40 synthetic oil in it. My wife is now driving it and has fallen in love. She says that it spoils you as you start rating all cars against it, which is unfair. Only 531 imported into us in 2001-2003. It is a German muscle machine made for drivers. DOT governed at 155 mph. (too bad)

Supercar
By chris355 on 05/06/10 21:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

My S8 has a few years on it and I am still absolutely in love with it. I was looking for a sports-orientated car that could carry car seats and groceries and get around in the snowy Pittsburgh winters. This car manages to do that and more - it's like three cars in one! An SUV for winter, a sports sedan for summer and a 4 dr family hauler for all times in between. It's rock solid at high speed, fun to drive and pulls like a locomotive from a stop light! Plus it's faster than almost everything that's going to line up next to you on the street - and you always look like a hero pulling away without wheel spin. It's a true German sleeper.

New Car
By bwonger on 03/16/10 16:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a sports car in a sedan body. Even though it's technically a large car, it doesn't drive like one. The acceleration is almost instant and is plenty fast for all street driving.

Q Ship
By Wheelb on 04/05/08 16:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This is my favorite sedan in the world for a four season climate. Understated competence, subtle luxury, mysteriousness, and timeless style. I drive it daily, but it shines brightest on 3 or 4 passenger road trips to ski destinations, everyone is supremely comfortable as I power through snow drifts and navigate icy corners. The S8 is very fast and light on her feet because of the strong V8 and light aluminum frame, but cops don't notice her. Pretty darn good mileage for 360 hp, amazing interior finish that is not too complicated or gizmo oriented. Gorgeous dash at night, all the creature comforts you can ask for (ahem, except good cupholders!). It is a fantastic car.

Cool points out the window
By greyjag on 05/30/07 21:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Well I must admit to being newly enamored with the S8 as I just bought one. I like others don't care for the Nav system compared to what $200.00 will buy now, I suppose it was ok in its time.

My Own Private Lear Jet
By Brento's S8 on 04/24/07 01:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This is a wonderful car all around and fast and nimble like a Lear jet. Comfort, performance, total package with that understated look. Prefer it over S500 or 740 anyday.

Sports Sedan of the Decade
By ed on 01/28/07 11:01 AM (PST)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

The 01 to 03 S8 is the best sports sedan of the last 20 years. It is an all business, aluminum engineered masterpiece. Ask any engineer with knowledge and they will agree. I bought it Audi certified with no regrets. I strongly advise buying one of these S8s if you are into subtle from the outside and awesome from the inside type of driving experience. I read another review before I bought that described it as a 4 door Porsche 911... I agree. My wife thought I was nuts for buying a 4 year old car (certified), but now fights for the keys. Can easily carry 2 kids and gear on any excursion. Would buy a certified one with warranty again!!

Fantastic Driving Experience
By Toni on 07/09/06 02:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi S8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I just bought a 2001 S8. It's my first foreign car. I am completely amazed at this cars performance. I have yet to come close to testing it's abilities but I thoroughly enjoy blowing away any one that thinks they can outperform me! Complete luxury inside, total power and very understated. It's big inside, took getting used to for a smaller woman.