Audi S5 turns heads and excites the senses
By mobility1 on
2012 Audi S5 Premium Plus quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)
Own a 2012 S5 after testing the 2.0 A5 in pretty much every configuration available at the dealership. I'm not sure why Edmunds thinks the steering is "contrived" or "artficial" because my experience is of an extremely tactile and responsive control system. My own gas mileage IS actually improving as I learn how to properly drive the car. Now at 1000 miles I am getting closer to 26 to 28 hwy and 15 to 19 city mpg now thanks to my judicious use of the responsive cruise control, and active mileage monitoring system, and I can adjust my driving style to suit. Well-mannered in traffic when it needs to be, and becomes an elegant beast when pushed with very little effort.
Favorite Features
Comments I get from experienced luxury car owners are "sexy AND practical" (trunk space and AWD) and "Supercar". Features, engine, performance, responsiveness and sheer sense of control you have over roads and environmental conditions are worth every cent. The Drive Select is like having 4 different cars. Overall design is brilliant. People do double takes as this is not an Audi that most people are used to seeing. It has a presence that is hard to put a finger on, but it is there. The S5 has a cabin that envelops you and makes you feel totally in control. The responsive steering, firm braking, and tight "glued to the road contours" of the suspension have made me a better driver.
Suggested Improvements
I've wondered if Audi could come up with a way to detach the ceiling lid on the coupe for an truly open air feel. In regards to the fuel consumption, it should be considered to find some way for the fog lamps to not use so much fuel when turned on. It tends to inhibit use when you look at the meter and actually see how much of your fuel is going into powering those one set of lamps. Same goes for the defrost. The S5 seems to want to turn on the A/C at every opportunity, even during the heating-defrost in cold temperatures, if you're not watching closely. I appreciate Audi's concern for my comfort, but it needs looked at again.