Used 2009 Audi S5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Audi S5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S5 model:

S5 first 2k miles
By OBX351

2009 Audi S5 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've always wanted a 993/996/997 BUT need a back seat that can accommodate a baby seat. The S5 has plenty of room for 3 adults and a large baby seat. It's very comfortable, has all wheel drive (go to YouTube and check out the S5 racing a down hill skier, the car goes up and down the slope!) and has similar stats to a 997 4. 0-60 4.9 S5 vs 4.8 997 4 and 1/4 13.2 S5 vs. 13/12.9 997 4. The 6 speed gear box is not quite as nice as the 997 but is still easy to shift. Anyway this is a great sport GT/luxury sports car. It sticks to the pavement, drives GREAT in the rain and is very comfortable. We'll see how it does over the next 90k miles, but I am very happy with the first 2k miles.

Engine note at start up and during the drive, very easy to drive, very comfortable, can seat 3 adults comfortably and the electronics ROCK (the nav system is pretty good and the controls for the electronics are great)! The brakes are excellent and the car sticks to the pavement.

All tan/brown interior or more interior choices. The interior is very nice but there are limited choices. The steering is a bit dead.

Great but can be improved.
By AUDI

2009 Audi S5 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

First of all to all those who think this care is fast I hate to break it to you but it's not. I shelled out close to 63 thousand dollars and I could have bought a Z06. Now on the other hand the looks are great and I love the handling. Since last november minor things have gone wrong with the car(electrical/led lighting etc). Audi should have built a faster car. I guess that's why they are coming up with the RS5 for 85K!

My Thoughts
By Tom

2009 Audi S5 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

S5 is indeed a beautiful car. I just got it, but I must say it is not that great of a car. I own an M5 2007 so there is a big difference in performance. When driving you must step on the gas more due to the quattro system. When you release you will feel a slight deceleration which makes people think you are braking but you are not. The handling is not as nice due to the really light wheel. I do not get any feedback like when I drive rear wheel cars. You will notice it the most when you drive on twisty roads. I do understeer on turns since the line of entry is a little different with this car. Great car for everyday drive but for performance the 335i can boogie against this car.

Interior and rearview camera is great. I got mine black ex and red int. Bellisimo. I don't have magnetic ride or B&O. I only have tech and nav which is good enough. I do not know if that would change the quality of the ride including handling since magnetic can stiffen up the chassis.

Make this a race car. This car has potential with the V8 but Audi is holding it back. I would rather have a sunroof then just tilt with the panoramic. Better mileage would help too.

Amazing!
By BMM

2009 Audi S5 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my new S5 for two weeks now...test drove everything (many, many times) from the 335i, Cayenne GTS, M3, G37, 650i, others..and yes, this was the winner. First, let me mention it looks phenomenal in person, way better than in pictures and better than anything else under $100k. I've found the V8 is perfectly robust and yet sumptuous, and the acceleration is long and powerful in any gear. The interior made my former 3-series feel outdated instantly. This is a perfect touring GT where the M3 is a sports car, and that touch of gentleman is exactly what I was looking for.

Head-turning looks, more exclusive than a 6-series. V8 is smooth, quiet (low rpm), and very powerful throughout the range. Bluetooth and iPhone integration makes me enjoy things I never missed before. Audi Drive Select lets me set steering feel and suspension exactly as I want them.

Wish the moonroof slid back (not just tilted), although I appreciate the fact it is larger than average. Add maintenance package as standard (a'la bmw) why did Audi stop this?

Awesome
By Mike

2009 Audi S5 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought my US Spec Auto S5 over here in Stuttgart Germany. The 1st 600 miles break in period was hard to do on the autobahn. I have slowly stepped it up since and will not really see what it can do until I have passed the 2500 mile mark. All and all so far it has been everything I have expected. A few things I have noted are that the IPOD option does not come with an IPOD adaptor! Seats are a 6 on long trips due to comfort and I have noticed that the tires seem a little narrow over 100 mph. If you need to do an emergency slow down, the back end seems to want to get away from you but the ESP kicks in and keeps it under control. Overall I still give it a 9.

Auto wipers are awesome and I like the ability to be able to turn off the daytime driving LED's. Even here in Germany it seems to draw more attention than I like.

Improve the seat comfort. Look great, feel great but on long trips they get hard fast. Also 6 inches more leg room in the back would be nice. Right now the back seats are for looks. Not uncommon in this type of car.