Used 2014 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Audi S4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

One of my best purchases
By Sam K.

2014 Audi S4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 7AM)

Was on the fence between the S4 and the 335i, and boy am I glad I got the Audi. I've had the car for 2 years, and this is a short summary of what I've learned. I'll go straight to the point and point out the bad first.

Transmission: can get clunky; when you pop it into Drive, its response is laggy
Handling: my previous Genesis coupe felt more confident-inspiring in the corners
MMI: I prefer the MB Command or the Porsche interface

That's pretty much all the cons that I can think of. The car accelerates as well as any 3.0L S'charged sport sedan will go. Brakes are fantastic with a consistent feel. The seats are not plush, but won't give you any issues. Drove from FL to NY and did not feel too bad. Build quality is top notch. My brother has the F30 328xi and the Audi feels more sturdy.

Read before you buy
By scratchgolfer2

2014 Audi S4 Sedan Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car new last year, for the first year I loved the car, every aspect of it with small somewhat irritating problems. Wind blowing throw the windows on the highway right off the lot will drive you insane if you are listening to talk radio.
My S4 came with the Upgraded Summer Tire package with the Continental Conti Contact 3s. These are the Worst tires in the world, the tread pattern wore out "unusually" after 7K miles, seriously...That is a like 2k option, what a waste, if you car has these tires make them change them before you buy.

Interior design is awesome, looks cool, the exterior is not great but I actually like it looking low key and my wife cant tell the difference between this an an A3 or A4 Needs more power, I have a 6 speed but the new double clutch is pretty awesome, doesn't matter if you cant steer the car, this went from being my favorite car to considering getting rid of it, never though that would happen after a year

Put safe nice actual performance tires on a performance car They are not only bad but dangerous, it had the car shooting into oncoming traffic. I thought I was having the "electric steering problems "that ma. I enjoyed the steering in the first 5k miles, but let me tell you, the steering gets worse, so don't judge by a test drive at the dealer, the electric steering sucks. But if you expect tires on a 60K car to last 5k miles and they don't, Audi will take car of you, just kidding they don't care, too bad these car was close to being awesome.

A German muscle car, sleeper division
By smerdyakov

2014 Audi S4 Sedan Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 7AM)

This car represents a Teutonic variation on the classic American muscle car: take a mid-size car (the A4, in this case) and install a larger, more powerful engine. There is more to the S4 than that, of course, but that is the essence of it. The only way of distinguishing it from an A4, at a glance, is the presence of small S4 badges front and rear, and the V6T badges on the front fenders.
The S4 gives excellent acceleration with superb handling and ride quality, combined with reasonable fuel economy. It is not inexpensive (especially in Prestige trim), but I cannot think of a car with its combination of virtues available at a lower price from any other manufacturer.

Subtle styling, excellent interior design, superb build quality inside and out, good ergonomics, many luxurious extra features, powerful optional Bang & Olufson sound system

The plethora of available computer functions selectable through the MMI can be baffling.

GREAT BMW ALTERNATIVE, FAIR PRICING
By rudycassap

2014 Audi S4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 6M)

I do not like how soft BMW cars have become - like American muscle cars of the past with lots of power but they just cannot handle (turn) well. I sold a 2013 128i M Sport after just 9 months. I drove the 2015 M235i and M3 sedans all day long at the BMW Car Control event. I am very unimpressed with the new M3. Poor seating position, turbo lag is prevalent, and it actually has too much torque to be fun. I have had VW and Audi in the past and they all were unreliable. Decided to look at the S4 on a whim - did not really even cross my mind, but maybe that's a good thing. It looks like a "regular" A4. The 6-speed manual shift action is smooth and the clutch actually has feel - BMW is too soft.

Quattro is great in the rain - it is like having a grown up version of an STI or Evo. Seating comfort is terrific. Plenty of room in the back seat for a child seat and more. Navigation is complicated to learn but I love the live traffic displayed on the map. The car actually comes with a spare tire for those long drives to Vegas where a 19 inch wheel is not available in the middle of nowhere (shame on BMW and Porsche for no spare).

The optional MMI system is great but complicated to learn. Not so easy to just play CD. The optional wheels could be better looking.

Brake failure
By stevef13

2014 Audi S4 Sedan Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 7AM)

I bought the S4 because it is advertised as a track car by Audi at their Sports Car Experience at Infineon Raceway. After a warm up session, then 15 minutes on the track I had fade and then failure from my brakes. At the dealership the rotors were determined to be bad. I have owned so many cars, 10 Audi's, and NEVER has this happened. According to the dealership Audi USA will not cover the brakes they put in my car. How is it the S4's they have you track at their raceway last but mine cannot? This car is not for tracking since the manufacturer does not back up it's product and treats loyal owners poorly. Truth in engineering= failure to support customers.

Brakes that work like the ones on the Audi S4's at the Audi tracking program in Sonoma.