Used 2006 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Simply superb
By craig

2006 Audi S4 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I had contemplated the purchase of an M3 for quite some time until I had the pleasure of taking this baby out for a spin. How could I resist, this blows away the competition with power, luxury, performance, and not the least of all... gorgeous sound from that V8 engine.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth phone

Suggested Improvements

More wheel options, that's it!

2006 Audi S4 quattro 4dr Sedan
By Car Critic

2006 Audi S4 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is a great all-around car with few compromises. I traded a 2003 M3 for my S4. I love the S4s V8 rumble, MUCH better than the M3's metallic howl at higher rpm. The S4 is a technology showcase (w/ NAV.sys) vs the basic M3. The M3 wins by the numbers (0-60, slalom times, etc), but the Audi is easier to live with and more luxury. The AWD S4 pulls effortless out of a corner; the stability system remains invisible unless real trouble is at hand.

Favorite Features

V8 sound. Precise, short-throw shifter. Quattro AWD with stablity control: makes mindless acceleration easy and risk-free (the understeer is quite predictable).

Suggested Improvements

Needs to shave about 200 pounds to be more competetive. Fuel economy needs improvement. Clutch should be more linear and less abrupt... makes driving smoothly very difficult. More (sporty) exterior details to distinguish the car from an A4.

Fast, Rough and Thirsty
By Brian

2006 Audi S4 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

One of the fastest cars I have ever owned (and I like fast expensive cars), a blast to drive for fun, but after a year I can't live with it anymore. A fifteen gallon tank and 15-18 miles to the gallon means filling up every other day. At 80 mph the car is turning 3200 rpm and while the suspension feels great on back roads, on the highway (where I spend too much time) the suspension makes small road imperfections feel like speed bumps. I know I won't get much sympathy here, but when talking on the cell phone on the highway, road imperfections make my voice warble, not good when talking to clients. A GREAT weekend car, but a tough daily driver.

Favorite Features

The engine, exhaust and the seats. Every high end sports sedan should have Recaros and a quad exhaust V-8 rumble.

Suggested Improvements

A larger gas tank, an overdrive for 6th gear and an adjustable suspension.

Audi S4 25th Quattro
By JRMSR

2006 Audi S4 Sedan 25quattro Special Edition quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

The Audi is flawless with exception to the throttle. Quite abrupt and takes careful modulation to get the smoothest operation. Best car I've owned to date. Comfort is wonderful and conveniences are outstanding. Performance is on par or better than most sport cars in the higher dollar range. Engine performance and torque are nothing short of massive, without being peaky. Lug it in a lower gear and it accelerates away without hesitation. I can't wait to drive the RS4. Fit and trim is perfect. Transmission is precise with positive shifting. Front to rear bias is absolutely terrific with neutral steering. Sound system is perfectly matched to the Audi without being harsh and overbearing.

Favorite Features

The whole package! It's just what you'd expect in a germany Touring Sedan. Rivals and surpasses anything in it's class. If you didn't have a chance to purchase one of the 250 you're going to have to step up to the RS4 to eclipse it.

Suggested Improvements

Better throttle modulation. Less abrupt on/off fly-by-wire in lower gears. Can be annoying at low speeds. Get rid of the top speed and rev limiters.

Who needs a BMW?
By Tim

2006 Audi S4 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After test driving a new Corvette and a Boxster S, I drove the Audi S4. I fell in love with the S4! Great looks, the sweetest interior, and a cool sounding exhaust note. The MMI system and the Sirius radio help keep my mind from driving this car as fast as it wants to go!

Favorite Features

Interior looks and quality, the wonderful exhaust note, and great Recaro seats.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo should be improved. A way to adjust the suspension to a smoother ride when desired would be nice.