Can we go topless?
By Inquisitor on
2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)
I bought this car in late 2004 and after a year and half, I figured I could finally do a complete review of it. I cross-shopped and found the S4 cab was best all-around. Up to 80 mph, the wind noise with the open top is astonishingly low - the best of any convertible I've ever been in. The handling is superb for a convertible, but remember it is a front-heavy AWD vehicle, so drive it correctly or helloooo scary understeer - learned this at an Audi Club driving event. When done right, it's awesome through the twisties. Overall, this is a grown-up, amazing sleeper of a cruiser.
Favorite Features
The S4's V8 has great torque across the rev range - it's a German muscle car! And that rumble is like the rest of the car - understated. Good acceleration (although noticeably slower than the sedan). Minimal wind noise to 80 mph or so. Stealthy design. Comfortable space for a big guy like me.
Suggested Improvements
Rear seats are a joke with my 6'3" frame; only those under 5' can fit comfortably. A lighter engine might help with understeer and the awful mpg. Hardtop would be nice. HUGE blind spots, but that may be a problem with all 'verts. Acceleration kick not really felt until 4k rpms or so.