Used 2005 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi S4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

S4 V8 Tiptronic
By david smail

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Traded a 2002 S4 with Triptonic; didn't relish giving up the visceral whine of the twin turbos, but the burble of the V8's exhaust is music to my ears. The 2005.5 cost $14,000 more than the 2002; however, it has a lot more content, e.g. Recaro seats to die for, puddle lights, automatic headlights, rain sensing windshield wipers, etc. that makes the price easier to swallow. It is a mature driver's sports sedan, not a frantic M3, or boy racer STI. It is easy to drive fast responsibly. The paddle shifters can be activated while in "D" or "S" which gives you best of both worlds i.e. fully automatic or Tip. Audi Driver (UK) suggests the tip is faster after launch than the stick version...

S4 vs M3
By lfbmdpc

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Purchased 2005 old style fascia S4/6M with premium/cold pkg & upgraded stereo. Good fit & finish, raw power throughout the power band, and is a superb performance automobile that any enthusiast would enjoy.

Favorite Features

Great fit & finish, superb cabin & materials, great body lines, substantial grunt throughout the power band. Great upgrade stereo. Not a lot of them on the road. Just a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (MB C55 with equal or better power get's much better mileage). Others complain about small rear seat but my teenage kids don't seem to mind.

Excellent in the snow
By eric in wyoming

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased my new S4 in November, and with the original performance Dunlop tires, nearly totaled it with the first snowstorm. New 18 inch Pirelli Snowsports (even though they recommended 17 inches with new rims of course) completely solved the problem with minimal compromise in ride and handling quality. I cross shopped an M3 and CTS-V, but living in the snowbelt, the quattro was the clincher. Forget the gas guzzler tax and definetely go for the manual transmission. The dealership even let slip that they'll pay for a new clutch under the scheduled warranty if you accidentally burn the original one out.

Favorite Features

Quattro, 7000 rpm redline, snick-snick 6 speed

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat room, auxillary stereo jack for MP3, larger cup holders, panic alarm barely noticible

2005 Audi S4
By VW

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Wonderful car, have been driving it for 4 weeks. I find myself taking the long way home just for fun. For those who want it all in a car that can be driven year round in the NE, this is it.

Favorite Features

The deep grumble of the car is enough to make me smile.

Suggested Improvements

Really need to improve fuel economy, also dash cup holder is flimsy.

My 4th Audi
By CT Audi Driver

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

My S4 is my fourth Audi, but my first with a big person's engine. Coming from a 2.8 V6 and 2 1.8T fours, the performance of this car is fabulous. I loved the interior on my first 3 Audis and this is a natural evolution. No need to change perfection, they just spiced it up with superb Recaro seats, and carbon fiber(optional) trim. Other than that, it is virtually identical to my 2002 A4 (which is to say, excellent). The exterior is great too, looking much more muscular than the A4, but not so much so that it stands out. This car is a true wolf in sheep's clothing. So far, its quality is consistant with my other Audis, excellent.

Favorite Features

The V8, servotronic steering (though ittakes a little while to get used to), and great suspension and tires. Just point it where you want to go, and it'll take you there.

Suggested Improvements

I won't say fuel economy, because it is exactly as advertised (though I wouldn'thave complained if they massaged it abit to avoid the $1,700 GG Tax). The tank needs to be bigger though. I don't drive much and I feel like I'm always stopping for gas. If I drove 15,000 - 20,000 per year, it would drive me nuts.