Used 2005 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

S4 vs M3 - different animals
By Audo A4 no M3

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I'm going to write something radical here. The Audi S4 should not be compared to the BMW M3. They are different and serve different purposes. I had an M3 and now an M5. I can speak to this: S4 - better family car. Better in weather. More comfortable. M3 handles better, faster. Both are solid built and of strong engine. Audi is a better value, but doesn't hold its value as well. AWD is a plus in the Audi, but it still doesnt handle as well as the M3. Reliability - BMW. Comfort Audi, Interior/Exterior - Audi, Fuel - BMW, Both are equal in the other categories. Summary, Audi for value and BMW for reliability. BMWs have become over produced and value watered down.

AWD, XM, Recaro seats, grace, solid feel,

Improve gas mileage or produce a bigger gas tank

From '97 A8 to '05 S4
By AndyCap

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I just traded in my '97 A8 and never looked back. The A8 also had the 4.2 V8, but it a slug compared to this better aspirated version. A V8 as it is supposed to be. 340 HP mated to the road with precision and grace. The cabin is ergonomic and smart. Bucket seats are comforable for long distance, and keep you snug through the high speed curves. The controls all make sense and are exactly where they should be. The exterior design is stealth, a this car looks like an A4, but drives like the German sport car it is. Indeed a "Wolf in sheeps clothing" My wife even called it cute until she heard the rumble of the V8. This car sounds like a beast when it growls.

The power and precision. Paddle shifters. Large disk brakes. classy respectable interior. AWD is a must in New England. Favorite characteristic? It is an Audi

The sound system is sub-par for such a nice auto - I am ripping that piece of junk out asap. The sound is hazy and the CD player does not handle MP3. Don't complain about fuel economy when you buy a V8 auto with 340 HP. I would suggest a larger fuel tank though - 13 gal is too small.

Very cool
By numonyx S4

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Even after 3.5 years and 44.5k miles, my recent purchase of a used 2005 S4 is a fantastic drive. The look and performance is awesome. I love the acceleration, braking, handling, and sound of this "tiger in sedan's clothing". It provides just the right amount of sedan for my business use, but allows me to have a blast driving down the coastal highway 1 setting top pace for all the "weekend sport cars".

Overall performance. Look and feel inside and out. Sound is incredible.

Minor suggestions: center arm rest for manual shift is a bit too high for me, and I prefer to have oil-temp and oil- pressure analog gauges on the instrument cluster.

05.5 S4 4dr aka"D BEAST!"
By Barry

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned my B7(chassis designation) S4 for 1.5yrs. now and love it. Build quality and fit and finish are second to none. The nav, XM radio and Bose sound systems are exellent. Im so pleased with the handling of this car, that its the first vehicle i've ever owened that i have'nt made any mods to the suspension. I have however added aftermarket intake,exhaust and software upgrades. Which go a long way in remeding one of the S4's few faults weight!.At a curb weight of 3902lbs with the 6spd tiptronic,you won't win many drag races against worthy opponents. My best friend owns a 05 comp pkg BMW M3 SMG, and even he grudgingly admits the S4's handling and overall performance makes it a superior car

High speed stability, exotic musclular exhaust note, playing rally car superstar in the snow.

205 miles to the tank = being on a first name basis with your local gas station attendant!

Love my car
By njsnowdriver

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have to say that I really love this car. I now have 35K miles on it and it is as good as the day I bought it. When I purchased it, there wasn't an RS4 yet. Otherwise I would have bought that. But at this price point, I think it is one of the best cars in the world. Due to inclement weather I sold my previous sports cars, a BMW M3 and a Mazda RX8. While the BMW was spectacular, it just didn't work in the snow. At all. The RX8 was a dud all around. It was fun to shift, but that was it. It was slow, could not be driven in snow, and it stalled and needed to be towed constantly. The s4 is quick, handles great in snow, & is a perfect wolf in sheep's clothing. I highly recommend it.

Speed, handling in bad weather, interior styling.

Any car can always be a little faster.