Used 2005 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Audi S4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

BEWARE!! Caught on fire in my driveway!
By Chad

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I loved my Audi. I really did. I had no complaints to speak of. It was flawless with only 20k miles. Unfortunately, it caught fire on its own in the middle of the night. It was an electrical fire originating under the driver's seat. Had the windows been open, the fire would've been much worse, probably would've damaged my house.

Favorite Features

I loved everything about my Audi.

Suggested Improvements

Build cars that don't catch on fire in the middle of the night.

Is there a perfect car?This is may be it
By Biagio

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Thanks to most of the reviewers here, I made the decision to purchase a used S4 (along with Audi's pure protection additional warranty). I have to say it is the most amazing car I've ever owned--even over my 67 Mustang fastback. As another reviewer said "it does everything right". A pleasure to drive, doesn't look fast but runs like a refined rocket, handles like a track car and is great in snowy terrain of the north west. Highway MPG is doable, and for those that lament about city MPG, realize it's 340HP w/over 300lb ft torque...in the same engine compartment as the A4 (which I've owned 1.8t) and also liked. This is like a supermodel love affair in comparison. Gracious, powerful, refined

Favorite Features

Besides everything...growl, handling, torque, acceleration, as usual, perfect interior ergonimics. The recaro seats are excellent. You can still take the kids to school in it and make the Vette, WRX, M3 sorry he pumped the gas ,just make sure there is a curve in there somewhere...and a clean rear view

Suggested Improvements

As was with the A-4 the cupholder is terrible. Also, buy a clean example or certified pre-owned. You can't get everything at Pepboys for this one. I was lucky enough to find one with 29K and in immaculate condition. I still bought 4yrs/48k additional coverage from Audi, find one with factory warranty!

Little monster
By sam

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased the car used from an Audi dealership. I suppose I paid a little more buying the car from an Audi dealer, but the added warranty of purchasing a certified car was well worth the additional cost. The car is a monster. I have had all different types of American performance cars and they are not even in the same category as this car. The performance, handling, and braking are nothing short of phenomenal! Now the downside. The gas mileage is poor ( 18mpg if you're lucky ). The interior is a little cramped. Look at that, I can only find two negative things to comment about on this car. Great car! Be careful though, if you test drive one you'll be takeing it home.

Favorite Features

Performance! Sporty yet sedate styling. Interior materials are top notch.

Suggested Improvements

More interior room. Better gas mileage.

4-door Porshe
By it dude

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've had 13 Bmw's, 3 Merc's and 5 Audi's in my life and this car is by far the easiest to love. All cars have weaknesses, but this one is special. The only weakness is a small gas tank and a bad drinking habit. I wear a suit to work and look the part when I pull into my space - I wear jeans and Tim's on the weekends and this car rocks. It's comfortable, quick and fast. It's heavy, which is a good thing more than bad. I'm 40+ so I don't need to race. I just do and this car keeps up just fine. This is the most complete car I have ever owned. It does everything well. This is the complete package. Good Job Audi!

Favorite Features

Seats, agility, sport mode

Suggested Improvements

Quicker 0 - 60

2001 S4 vs. 2005 S4
By Mark

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I swapped my 2001 Audi S4 with an owner of a 2005 S4. I purchased the nogaro blue with two tone blue/black recaro interior seats. This is a beautiful car. Audi did an excellent job with the overall look and feel. The previous owner lowered the vehicle and added awe tuning exhaust and 19" rims low profile. The exhaust is sick and the car certainly turns a lot heads as well as comments from envious VW owners. Audi is welcomed to the muscle car category! I will say that I miss the bi-turbo of my 2001. The bi-turbo is quicker off the line due the turbo and light weight of the V6. However, the overall torque is something to be desired in the V8.

Favorite Features

The exhaust and overall look and feel

Suggested Improvements

Audi really needs to stock better rims! I'm tired of the same boring rims they've used for years. The gas tank needs to be larger for longer road trips. Finally, please place the cup holder below the radio console. Apparently, Audi engineering has never spilled coffee all over the radio.