2005 Audi S4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
S4 vs M3 - different animals
By Audo A4 no M3 on 08/10/08 20:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I'm going to write something radical here. The Audi S4 should not be compared to the BMW M3. They are different and serve different purposes. I had an M3 and now an M5. I can speak to this: S4 - better family car. Better in weather. More comfortable. M3 handles better, faster. Both are solid built and of strong engine. Audi is a better value, but doesn't hold its value as well. AWD is a plus in the Audi, but it still doesnt handle as well as the M3. Reliability - BMW. Comfort Audi, Interior/Exterior - Audi, Fuel - BMW, Both are equal in the other categories. Summary, Audi for value and BMW for reliability. BMWs have become over produced and value watered down.

From '97 A8 to '05 S4
By AndyCap on 07/03/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I just traded in my '97 A8 and never looked back. The A8 also had the 4.2 V8, but it a slug compared to this better aspirated version. A V8 as it is supposed to be. 340 HP mated to the road with precision and grace. The cabin is ergonomic and smart. Bucket seats are comforable for long distance, and keep you snug through the high speed curves. The controls all make sense and are exactly where they should be. The exterior design is stealth, a this car looks like an A4, but drives like the German sport car it is. Indeed a "Wolf in sheeps clothing" My wife even called it cute until she heard the rumble of the V8. This car sounds like a beast when it growls.

Very cool
By numonyx S4 on 06/08/08 14:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Even after 3.5 years and 44.5k miles, my recent purchase of a used 2005 S4 is a fantastic drive. The look and performance is awesome. I love the acceleration, braking, handling, and sound of this "tiger in sedan's clothing". It provides just the right amount of sedan for my business use, but allows me to have a blast driving down the coastal highway 1 setting top pace for all the "weekend sport cars".

05.5 S4 4dr aka"D BEAST!"
By Barry on 06/02/08 01:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned my B7(chassis designation) S4 for 1.5yrs. now and love it. Build quality and fit and finish are second to none. The nav, XM radio and Bose sound systems are exellent. Im so pleased with the handling of this car, that its the first vehicle i've ever owened that i have'nt made any mods to the suspension. I have however added aftermarket intake,exhaust and software upgrades. Which go a long way in remeding one of the S4's few faults weight!.At a curb weight of 3902lbs with the 6spd tiptronic,you won't win many drag races against worthy opponents. My best friend owns a 05 comp pkg BMW M3 SMG, and even he grudgingly admits the S4's handling and overall performance makes it a superior car

Love my car
By njsnowdriver on 02/05/08 07:53 AM (PST)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have to say that I really love this car. I now have 35K miles on it and it is as good as the day I bought it. When I purchased it, there wasn't an RS4 yet. Otherwise I would have bought that. But at this price point, I think it is one of the best cars in the world. Due to inclement weather I sold my previous sports cars, a BMW M3 and a Mazda RX8. While the BMW was spectacular, it just didn't work in the snow. At all. The RX8 was a dud all around. It was fun to shift, but that was it. It was slow, could not be driven in snow, and it stalled and needed to be towed constantly. The s4 is quick, handles great in snow, & is a perfect wolf in sheep's clothing. I highly recommend it.

Best Car - Even if it's Thirsty
By S4 Convert on 01/04/08 09:03 AM (PST)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

By far the best car I've ever owned, and I've had a bunch. Drives like a four door Porsche C4. I get bored quickly with cars, but every time I get in the S4 it feels like I've been given a gift. If you are a car enthusiast, you simply can't have a bad time in this car. You pay for the V-8 when you fill up (you can use regular, though), but you're more than equally rewarded when you step on the accelerator.

Wow
By s4pimpdaddy on 05/12/07 08:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Wow, what a machine. I upgraded from a Volkswagen GTI to this and this car is light years ahead of anything else I've ever driven. The AWD is flawless, the Recaro leather seats hold you in, and the quality of the interior is second to none. My only gripe about this car is the awful gas mileage.

Fantastic!
By Punchai on 07/17/06 13:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Honestly, it’s too early for me to objectively rate all the characteristics. It’s SO much fun to drive - rain or shine. The engine is a beast and roars like a race car . . . people stare and frequently someone will ask what I’m driving. I love all the amenities – Recaro seats, Bose, NAV, XM, etc., etc. The ride is awesome and handling is second to none. My biggest criticism is that city gas mileage is poor (though comparable or better than a big truck or SUV).

The best car ever in my opinion
By Russ on 04/10/06 21:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned Jensen Healey, x2 Jaquars, x3 BMW incl a 2003 M3 roadster, x3Mercedes, a Volvo and a couple domestics. This is the best of the bunch for fun, comfort, driving ease @ all speeds and slick in all respects. And a bargain price for all that. I was on the list for a BMW M5 and luckily took this out for a test drive!!

Complete Package
By c2silver on 11/29/05 20:06 PM (PST)

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Has 4 wheel drive, power, good visibility, and not too many other S4's on the road.