2005 Audi S4 quattro Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Updated review of my 2005 S4
By jnicho1

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I previously wrote a review on my car at about 70k miles and she was still an awesome car (I bought her used in 2007 with 28k miles). I say still because at about 84k miles my timing tensioners started to fail and my timing chain had the infamous rattle at start up. At first, not a big deal, but the check engine light came on and the rattle became worse and worse. I knew the repairs would cost thousands, so I had to get rid of her. It was bitter sweet because I got a new S4, but I miss the V8. The suspension isn't meant for bad roads, so beware of suspension work if you live in a city of anywhere the roads aren't great. That was several thousand $$$ too.

Favorite Features

Great car, but beware of maintenance cost. Awesome engine, handling, seats, interior and exterior. I received compliments...a lot of them. Truly a sexy car.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the timing tensioners. I had to sell the car because the repairs were not worth it.

Don't buy, unless you have money to burn
By somedaycame123

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive, I love it! However, now that my car, bought new, has 75k miles on it, I would be happy to get rid of it and never buy Audi again. Since I first bought it there have been problems, but when you add them all up, they are outrageous! The original top failed during a rainstorm ,causing the car to flood. Spent $9k replacing the control panel and rewiring the car. The new top hasn't worked for a year, Audi USA is involved now but still no satisfactory resolution. The starter broke, the car fan wouldn't shut off, draining the battery until I needed a tow to get repaired, so many other!

Favorite Features

Love the speed and handling and other features you expect in a luxury car, like heated seats. pretty roomy backseat for family (compared to other sports cars)

Suggested Improvements

Better antenna, barely picks up stations, fix design of electric top, make interior parts of better quality

Excellent car for the money
By jnicho1

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2005 S4 since 2007 (bought used off lease at 24k miles) and it has been a great car. It is a lot of fun to drive with lots of torque and great V8 growl. Living in the city, I buy cheap tires (nails, etc.) and they still do great with cornering. I've had it at top speed (155 mph) and it was surprisingly smooth, although the revs were really high. Don't expect good gas mileage, but that's not why you buy thus car. It still looks sexy and I get compliments with a car that is almost hitting it's 8th birthday. I test drove the new S4 (2013) and it just wasn't the same. I have no idea what to get next!

Favorite Features

Very very solid, reliable, comfortable seats, great engine, acceleration, torque to hurt your neck, exhaust note, fun - a lot of fun, actually. I've beaten M3's, 911's, WRX's, G37's... But, it's a great commuter too. If I have to choose, the torque and seats are my favorite. Steering is better than the V8 M3 in my opinion as well.

Suggested Improvements

6th gear ratio, center arm rest (lifts with e-brake), larger gas tank.

The best car for a smart man
By Jim

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my S4 for over 30k miles now, so I think I can properly review it as a used car. It's a blast to drive if you drive it like it wants to be driven. You honestly have to take care to drive it slowly. I commute 3 hours round trip to DC everyday and while I hate my commute, if I just stomp on the gas in 3rd gear at 3k revs, it makes you smile like a teenager watching American Pie during a certain scene. Gun it in first and you almost feel uncomfortable. It throws you back and takes some getting used to. I typically drive conservatively, but if you downshift in this car and hear the growl, it just makes you smile. I give my car to my wife when I'm out of town, and it scares her.

Favorite Features

Engine growl, great transmission, steering, seat comfort, interior. It looks like a normal sedan, so don't expect stares. Buy the best tires you can buy. Seriously.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone complains about economy, so just get used to < 20 mpg. It's like owning a SUV. Not much difference between 5th and 6th gear. I want an RS4 now.

If I could marry this car, I would!
By SSG_Wells

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car when I was home on R&R leave from Afghanistan back in February. I had been researching the A4 for about 7 months and had every intention of buying that once I got to the dealership. As the Carmax dealer was walking me to the A4's I saw my knight in shining armor out of the corner of my eye. The girl opened the driver's side door and I was sold. I didn't even test drive the thing, and it was a manual so I had to teach myself, but trust me it was WELL worth it. I took a look at the A4's once I was done drooling over my soon-to-be new car and there was absolutely no comparison; the A4 looked like a grandma car compared to what I was about to roll home in!

Favorite Features

Where should I start? Between the black leather seats that hug you; red exterior that makes you want to melt; the fact that I can get up to 100 mph in less than 10 seconds; the traction is unreal; it drives phenomenal in the rain; and is the smoothest ride I've ever had in a manual transmission car.

Suggested Improvements

Both cup holders are really bad. The one on the dash doesn't hold on to anything more than a small coffee cup without spilling it, and the one in the console - don't even bother trying to shift with a drink in there. Your elbow will smack right into it and you won't even know the drink spilled.

BEWARE!! Caught on fire in my driveway!
By Chad

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I loved my Audi. I really did. I had no complaints to speak of. It was flawless with only 20k miles. Unfortunately, it caught fire on its own in the middle of the night. It was an electrical fire originating under the driver's seat. Had the windows been open, the fire would've been much worse, probably would've damaged my house.

Favorite Features

I loved everything about my Audi.

Suggested Improvements

Build cars that don't catch on fire in the middle of the night.

Is there a perfect car?This is may be it
By Biagio

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Thanks to most of the reviewers here, I made the decision to purchase a used S4 (along with Audi's pure protection additional warranty). I have to say it is the most amazing car I've ever owned--even over my 67 Mustang fastback. As another reviewer said "it does everything right". A pleasure to drive, doesn't look fast but runs like a refined rocket, handles like a track car and is great in snowy terrain of the north west. Highway MPG is doable, and for those that lament about city MPG, realize it's 340HP w/over 300lb ft torque...in the same engine compartment as the A4 (which I've owned 1.8t) and also liked. This is like a supermodel love affair in comparison. Gracious, powerful, refined

Favorite Features

Besides everything...growl, handling, torque, acceleration, as usual, perfect interior ergonimics. The recaro seats are excellent. You can still take the kids to school in it and make the Vette, WRX, M3 sorry he pumped the gas ,just make sure there is a curve in there somewhere...and a clean rear view

Suggested Improvements

As was with the A-4 the cupholder is terrible. Also, buy a clean example or certified pre-owned. You can't get everything at Pepboys for this one. I was lucky enough to find one with 29K and in immaculate condition. I still bought 4yrs/48k additional coverage from Audi, find one with factory warranty!

Little monster
By sam

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased the car used from an Audi dealership. I suppose I paid a little more buying the car from an Audi dealer, but the added warranty of purchasing a certified car was well worth the additional cost. The car is a monster. I have had all different types of American performance cars and they are not even in the same category as this car. The performance, handling, and braking are nothing short of phenomenal! Now the downside. The gas mileage is poor ( 18mpg if you're lucky ). The interior is a little cramped. Look at that, I can only find two negative things to comment about on this car. Great car! Be careful though, if you test drive one you'll be takeing it home.

Favorite Features

Performance! Sporty yet sedate styling. Interior materials are top notch.

Suggested Improvements

More interior room. Better gas mileage.

4-door Porshe
By it dude

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've had 13 Bmw's, 3 Merc's and 5 Audi's in my life and this car is by far the easiest to love. All cars have weaknesses, but this one is special. The only weakness is a small gas tank and a bad drinking habit. I wear a suit to work and look the part when I pull into my space - I wear jeans and Tim's on the weekends and this car rocks. It's comfortable, quick and fast. It's heavy, which is a good thing more than bad. I'm 40+ so I don't need to race. I just do and this car keeps up just fine. This is the most complete car I have ever owned. It does everything well. This is the complete package. Good Job Audi!

Favorite Features

Seats, agility, sport mode

Suggested Improvements

Quicker 0 - 60

2001 S4 vs. 2005 S4
By Mark

2005 Audi S4 Sedan New quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I swapped my 2001 Audi S4 with an owner of a 2005 S4. I purchased the nogaro blue with two tone blue/black recaro interior seats. This is a beautiful car. Audi did an excellent job with the overall look and feel. The previous owner lowered the vehicle and added awe tuning exhaust and 19" rims low profile. The exhaust is sick and the car certainly turns a lot heads as well as comments from envious VW owners. Audi is welcomed to the muscle car category! I will say that I miss the bi-turbo of my 2001. The bi-turbo is quicker off the line due the turbo and light weight of the V6. However, the overall torque is something to be desired in the V8.

Favorite Features

The exhaust and overall look and feel

Suggested Improvements

Audi really needs to stock better rims! I'm tired of the same boring rims they've used for years. The gas tank needs to be larger for longer road trips. Finally, please place the cup holder below the radio console. Apparently, Audi engineering has never spilled coffee all over the radio.