Used 2005 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Updated review of my 2005 S4
By jnicho1

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I previously wrote a review on my car at about 70k miles and she was still an awesome car (I bought her used in 2007 with 28k miles). I say still because at about 84k miles my timing tensioners started to fail and my timing chain had the infamous rattle at start up. At first, not a big deal, but the check engine light came on and the rattle became worse and worse. I knew the repairs would cost thousands, so I had to get rid of her. It was bitter sweet because I got a new S4, but I miss the V8. The suspension isn't meant for bad roads, so beware of suspension work if you live in a city of anywhere the roads aren't great. That was several thousand $$$ too.

Great car, but beware of maintenance cost. Awesome engine, handling, seats, interior and exterior. I received compliments...a lot of them. Truly a sexy car.

Recall the timing tensioners. I had to sell the car because the repairs were not worth it.

Don't buy, unless you have money to burn
By somedaycame123

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive, I love it! However, now that my car, bought new, has 75k miles on it, I would be happy to get rid of it and never buy Audi again. Since I first bought it there have been problems, but when you add them all up, they are outrageous! The original top failed during a rainstorm ,causing the car to flood. Spent $9k replacing the control panel and rewiring the car. The new top hasn't worked for a year, Audi USA is involved now but still no satisfactory resolution. The starter broke, the car fan wouldn't shut off, draining the battery until I needed a tow to get repaired, so many other!

Love the speed and handling and other features you expect in a luxury car, like heated seats. pretty roomy backseat for family (compared to other sports cars)

Better antenna, barely picks up stations, fix design of electric top, make interior parts of better quality

Excellent car for the money
By jnicho1

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2005 S4 since 2007 (bought used off lease at 24k miles) and it has been a great car. It is a lot of fun to drive with lots of torque and great V8 growl. Living in the city, I buy cheap tires (nails, etc.) and they still do great with cornering. I've had it at top speed (155 mph) and it was surprisingly smooth, although the revs were really high. Don't expect good gas mileage, but that's not why you buy thus car. It still looks sexy and I get compliments with a car that is almost hitting it's 8th birthday. I test drove the new S4 (2013) and it just wasn't the same. I have no idea what to get next!

Very very solid, reliable, comfortable seats, great engine, acceleration, torque to hurt your neck, exhaust note, fun - a lot of fun, actually. I've beaten M3's, 911's, WRX's, G37's... But, it's a great commuter too. If I have to choose, the torque and seats are my favorite. Steering is better than the V8 M3 in my opinion as well.

6th gear ratio, center arm rest (lifts with e-brake), larger gas tank.

The best car for a smart man
By Jim

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my S4 for over 30k miles now, so I think I can properly review it as a used car. It's a blast to drive if you drive it like it wants to be driven. You honestly have to take care to drive it slowly. I commute 3 hours round trip to DC everyday and while I hate my commute, if I just stomp on the gas in 3rd gear at 3k revs, it makes you smile like a teenager watching American Pie during a certain scene. Gun it in first and you almost feel uncomfortable. It throws you back and takes some getting used to. I typically drive conservatively, but if you downshift in this car and hear the growl, it just makes you smile. I give my car to my wife when I'm out of town, and it scares her.

Engine growl, great transmission, steering, seat comfort, interior. It looks like a normal sedan, so don't expect stares. Buy the best tires you can buy. Seriously.

Everyone complains about economy, so just get used to < 20 mpg. It's like owning a SUV. Not much difference between 5th and 6th gear. I want an RS4 now.

If I could marry this car, I would!
By SSG_Wells

2005 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car when I was home on R&R leave from Afghanistan back in February. I had been researching the A4 for about 7 months and had every intention of buying that once I got to the dealership. As the Carmax dealer was walking me to the A4's I saw my knight in shining armor out of the corner of my eye. The girl opened the driver's side door and I was sold. I didn't even test drive the thing, and it was a manual so I had to teach myself, but trust me it was WELL worth it. I took a look at the A4's once I was done drooling over my soon-to-be new car and there was absolutely no comparison; the A4 looked like a grandma car compared to what I was about to roll home in!

Where should I start? Between the black leather seats that hug you; red exterior that makes you want to melt; the fact that I can get up to 100 mph in less than 10 seconds; the traction is unreal; it drives phenomenal in the rain; and is the smoothest ride I've ever had in a manual transmission car.

Both cup holders are really bad. The one on the dash doesn't hold on to anything more than a small coffee cup without spilling it, and the one in the console - don't even bother trying to shift with a drink in there. Your elbow will smack right into it and you won't even know the drink spilled.