Used 2005 Audi S4 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi S4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

2005 Audi S4 Convertible

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Time to debunk the Audi S4!
By kevin raynard

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Time to debunk some myths about this car that previous owners seem starstruck over

1/ The engine....well yes its ok but thats it, after all 340hp in a 3700lb body is NOT going to set the world on fire! For comparison the then new C5 vette in 1997 made 345hp and weighed 3400lb. So WHY does the S4 feel so lively?
Very simple, its all in the gearing!
It is running the equivalent of a 4.11 final drive which as any gearhead knows will give you blinding acceleration and instant thrust through the gears at the expense of fuel economy.
Which brings me to..
2. Fuel economy...TBH I do not find it to be awful, I average 19-20mpg and given the facts on the gearing is about right. Now if we were to swap the gearing to similar to a 1997 vette came with( 2.87, 3.23 or 3.42 if memory serves) you would see a large increase in average mpg, probably 5 to 6 mpg more. But then your highly rewarding impetus would be diminshed, oh well.
Please do not get me wrong, I am NOT critical of the car at all, but it is not a miracle motor some claim, just a good old fashioned combination of sound engineering and gearing.
Moreover Audi are to be praised for having the corporate balls to build this the way they did although in the mid 2000,s the economic rug if you like had not been pulled out from under the vast majority of Americans.
Drive and enjoy, prepare for high maintenance cost and so so fuel economy.

The Ultimate Compromise
By DJD

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I drove both new and used BMW's and Mercedes before I picked my 5-year-old S4 Cabrio. Haven't regretted my choice for a second. I think of this car as the "ultimate compromise." You can speed top-down through the sweepers of Big Sur in Summer or tackle the hills at Tahoe in the winter. You can hoon it like a teenager, or ferry the kids to grandma's in safety and comfort. And oh, the engine! It's the finest engine I've ever owned - power and torque and an understated rumble. It's hard to say how this car could be improved. A hint: the 2005 tends to be ~$10k cheaper than face-lifted 06-09 models, even though it's almost exactly identical under the skin.

The engine, the engine, the engine! The interior The Bose stereo

Gas mileage is truly horrific. Pay up: it's worth it.

excellent car
By airgim

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fantastic engine performance. Very well built interior finishes. High quality. Excellent grip with 4wd. A pleasure to drive. You feel safe and enjoy high performance. I enjoy driving on s mode gear. A fan choice if you are looking for a used sports performance car, without looking like one.

engine performance and interior quality.

nothing to add

All Around Winner
By Eddie

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in my 350z for a beautiful red S4 cabrio with gray interior and black top. It felt a bit heavy at first after driving a sports car for so long but I quickly fell in love with the smooth ride and roomy, well appointed interior. The big car feel and rumbling V8 almost makes it seem like a 60s era muscle car, especially when cruising city streets at low speeds with the top down. It is also quite practical with a full sized trunk (with top up) and decent sized back seats, making it perfect for a long weekend of road tripping in the country. My wife and both of my parents all fit comfortably for short trips. In short, a well rounded combination of style, luxury, and performance.

The V8 exhaust note is what dreams are made of, 340 horses, carbon fiber trim and slick instrument panel, big trunk, tasteful styling, peace of mind of the Audi CPO program.

A few more MPG would be nice, but I am getting 20-22 with the top up at 40-60 MPH. Nothing to brag about, but something I can live with.

Love it!!
By DavidAlanCo

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have had my S4 Convertible for about a year and a half and love it! I can't tell you how many people have commented on my "cool car". The car is insane around corners and I have beaten Porche Boxters on regular occasions in "races". The car almost keeps up with my business partners BMW M3. I have an automatic and there is a little "lag time" when you step on the gas, but once it gets moving, it moves like crazy!

I love the built in garage door opener. The speed is insane. When I drive other cars I feel like I'm in slow motion. If you're a "button geek" you'll love it!

The front cigarette lighter is rough if you use it for something like an external nav system. I had a penny stuck in there and it caused quite a scare when sparks flew out of it. It should have killed the fuse but it didn't.