Used 2005 Audi S4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi S4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

The Ultimate Compromise
By DJD

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I drove both new and used BMW's and Mercedes before I picked my 5-year-old S4 Cabrio. Haven't regretted my choice for a second. I think of this car as the "ultimate compromise." You can speed top-down through the sweepers of Big Sur in Summer or tackle the hills at Tahoe in the winter. You can hoon it like a teenager, or ferry the kids to grandma's in safety and comfort. And oh, the engine! It's the finest engine I've ever owned - power and torque and an understated rumble. It's hard to say how this car could be improved. A hint: the 2005 tends to be ~$10k cheaper than face-lifted 06-09 models, even though it's almost exactly identical under the skin.

The engine, the engine, the engine! The interior The Bose stereo

Gas mileage is truly horrific. Pay up: it's worth it.

excellent car
By airgim

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fantastic engine performance. Very well built interior finishes. High quality. Excellent grip with 4wd. A pleasure to drive. You feel safe and enjoy high performance. I enjoy driving on s mode gear. A fan choice if you are looking for a used sports performance car, without looking like one.

engine performance and interior quality.

nothing to add

All Around Winner
By Eddie

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in my 350z for a beautiful red S4 cabrio with gray interior and black top. It felt a bit heavy at first after driving a sports car for so long but I quickly fell in love with the smooth ride and roomy, well appointed interior. The big car feel and rumbling V8 almost makes it seem like a 60s era muscle car, especially when cruising city streets at low speeds with the top down. It is also quite practical with a full sized trunk (with top up) and decent sized back seats, making it perfect for a long weekend of road tripping in the country. My wife and both of my parents all fit comfortably for short trips. In short, a well rounded combination of style, luxury, and performance.

The V8 exhaust note is what dreams are made of, 340 horses, carbon fiber trim and slick instrument panel, big trunk, tasteful styling, peace of mind of the Audi CPO program.

A few more MPG would be nice, but I am getting 20-22 with the top up at 40-60 MPH. Nothing to brag about, but something I can live with.

Love it!!
By DavidAlanCo

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have had my S4 Convertible for about a year and a half and love it! I can't tell you how many people have commented on my "cool car". The car is insane around corners and I have beaten Porche Boxters on regular occasions in "races". The car almost keeps up with my business partners BMW M3. I have an automatic and there is a little "lag time" when you step on the gas, but once it gets moving, it moves like crazy!

I love the built in garage door opener. The speed is insane. When I drive other cars I feel like I'm in slow motion. If you're a "button geek" you'll love it!

The front cigarette lighter is rough if you use it for something like an external nav system. I had a penny stuck in there and it caused quite a scare when sparks flew out of it. It should have killed the fuse but it didn't.

8cyl/4 season/ 2+2 convertible to beat
By nick

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

The most reasonably priced 8cyl/4wd/4 season 2+2 convertible for snow covered Northeast states; there is no other convertible in this class that can claim this. Excellent fit and finish by coach builders from Karmann, Germany. This car is almost like a hand made jewel for this price range.

Calibration, fit and finish, looks, Porsche and BMW drivers ask about it at the gas stops all the time. Lots of power in the low band, excellent cruiser, great quality.

4.2L FSI, better original equipment tires, vented and perforated brakes, iPod interface.