2005 Audi S4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
The Ultimate Compromise
By DJD on 08/29/10 00:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I drove both new and used BMW's and Mercedes before I picked my 5-year-old S4 Cabrio. Haven't regretted my choice for a second. I think of this car as the "ultimate compromise." You can speed top-down through the sweepers of Big Sur in Summer or tackle the hills at Tahoe in the winter. You can hoon it like a teenager, or ferry the kids to grandma's in safety and comfort. And oh, the engine! It's the finest engine I've ever owned - power and torque and an understated rumble. It's hard to say how this car could be improved. A hint: the 2005 tends to be ~$10k cheaper than face-lifted 06-09 models, even though it's almost exactly identical under the skin.

excellent car
By airgim on 03/14/10 20:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fantastic engine performance. Very well built interior finishes. High quality. Excellent grip with 4wd. A pleasure to drive. You feel safe and enjoy high performance. I enjoy driving on s mode gear. A fan choice if you are looking for a used sports performance car, without looking like one.

All Around Winner
By Eddie on 08/28/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in my 350z for a beautiful red S4 cabrio with gray interior and black top. It felt a bit heavy at first after driving a sports car for so long but I quickly fell in love with the smooth ride and roomy, well appointed interior. The big car feel and rumbling V8 almost makes it seem like a 60s era muscle car, especially when cruising city streets at low speeds with the top down. It is also quite practical with a full sized trunk (with top up) and decent sized back seats, making it perfect for a long weekend of road tripping in the country. My wife and both of my parents all fit comfortably for short trips. In short, a well rounded combination of style, luxury, and performance.

Love it!!
By DavidAlanCo on 12/19/07 20:13 PM (PST)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have had my S4 Convertible for about a year and a half and love it! I can't tell you how many people have commented on my "cool car". The car is insane around corners and I have beaten Porche Boxters on regular occasions in "races". The car almost keeps up with my business partners BMW M3. I have an automatic and there is a little "lag time" when you step on the gas, but once it gets moving, it moves like crazy!

8cyl/4 season/ 2+2 convertible to beat
By nick on 06/18/07 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

The most reasonably priced 8cyl/4wd/4 season 2+2 convertible for snow covered Northeast states; there is no other convertible in this class that can claim this. Excellent fit and finish by coach builders from Karmann, Germany. This car is almost like a hand made jewel for this price range.

Can we go topless?
By Inquisitor on 07/28/06 01:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car in late 2004 and after a year and half, I figured I could finally do a complete review of it. I cross-shopped and found the S4 cab was best all-around. Up to 80 mph, the wind noise with the open top is astonishingly low - the best of any convertible I've ever been in. The handling is superb for a convertible, but remember it is a front-heavy AWD vehicle, so drive it correctly or helloooo scary understeer - learned this at an Audi Club driving event. When done right, it's awesome through the twisties. Overall, this is a grown-up, amazing sleeper of a cruiser.

Nearly Flawless
By S4ever on 04/21/06 21:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

S4 Cabrio is the most satisfactory car I've ever owned- it has luxury, stlye, performance, speed, and subtle class like no other convertible on the road. The V8 is creamy smooth, and the 6-Speed auto, although not as good as the DSG in my daughter's A3, is wonderful in Sport mode. Interior/exterior are both beautifully made and beautiful to look at- typical Audi. This car is worth your money and your time, and it's more of an extremely fast luxo-cruiser than a sports car- this is a good thing.

Instant Fun.......Just Add Me!
By PsyMD on 10/31/05 08:53 AM (PST)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle new as an '05 leftover. I can truly say this is the most fun car I've ever driven. I never thought anything on four wheels could be more fun than my '99 Prelude, but this is like a Prelude on steroids! I love the slightly lower- key styling (no fins, spoilers, etc.) and the aural excitement from that V- 8. Handling and performance are both superb. I've seen many mentions of this car's low gas mileage, but I've been averaging about 23-24 mpg. The main downside so far is that the generally beat-up streets of Baltimore City are eating my tires at an insane rate (not really a fault of the vehicle, though). For a car this spirited and fun, however, it's worth it!

Awesome
By Thomas on 06/18/05 02:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Audi S4 Cab has beautiful leather interior with a highly functional cabin and a beautifully designed exterior; top quality paint and materials. The S4's 340hp V8 is super responsive and hums like a song. Handling is superb; the ride is solid. Top down with Bose audio system entertainment, the S4 is a dream come true! Highly recommended

I Love This Car
By Ellen on 06/10/05 09:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 Convertible quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have had so many compliments on this car. I've been stopped in parking lots with people asking me about it because it looks so good. And it drives equally well. The backseat has room for 2. It's much roomier and more comfortable than any other convertible we've seen. I've never been much of a 'car person', but I LOVE THIS CAR!