2005 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews

2005 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
Updated review of my 2005 S4
By jnicho1 on 03/28/14 19:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I previously wrote a review on my car at about 70k miles and she was still an awesome car (I bought her used in 2007 with 28k miles). I say still because at about 84k miles my timing tensioners started to fail and my timing chain had the infamous rattle at start up. At first, not a big deal, but the check engine light came on and the rattle became worse and worse. I knew the repairs would cost thousands, so I had to get rid of her. It was bitter sweet because I got a new S4, but I miss the V8. The suspension isn't meant for bad roads, so beware of suspension work if you live in a city of anywhere the roads aren't great. That was several thousand $$$ too.

Don't buy, unless you have money to burn
By somedaycame123 on 07/11/13 14:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive, I love it! However, now that my car, bought new, has 75k miles on it, I would be happy to get rid of it and never buy Audi again. Since I first bought it there have been problems, but when you add them all up, they are outrageous! The original top failed during a rainstorm ,causing the car to flood. Spent $9k replacing the control panel and rewiring the car. The new top hasn't worked for a year, Audi USA is involved now but still no satisfactory resolution. The starter broke, the car fan wouldn't shut off, draining the battery until I needed a tow to get repaired, so many other!

Excellent car for the money
By jnicho1 on 10/21/12 19:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2005 S4 since 2007 (bought used off lease at 24k miles) and it has been a great car. It is a lot of fun to drive with lots of torque and great V8 growl. Living in the city, I buy cheap tires (nails, etc.) and they still do great with cornering. I've had it at top speed (155 mph) and it was surprisingly smooth, although the revs were really high. Don't expect good gas mileage, but that's not why you buy thus car. It still looks sexy and I get compliments with a car that is almost hitting it's 8th birthday. I test drove the new S4 (2013) and it just wasn't the same. I have no idea what to get next!

The Ultimate Compromise
By DJD on 08/29/10 00:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I drove both new and used BMW's and Mercedes before I picked my 5-year-old S4 Cabrio. Haven't regretted my choice for a second. I think of this car as the "ultimate compromise." You can speed top-down through the sweepers of Big Sur in Summer or tackle the hills at Tahoe in the winter. You can hoon it like a teenager, or ferry the kids to grandma's in safety and comfort. And oh, the engine! It's the finest engine I've ever owned - power and torque and an understated rumble. It's hard to say how this car could be improved. A hint: the 2005 tends to be ~$10k cheaper than face-lifted 06-09 models, even though it's almost exactly identical under the skin.

The best car for a smart man
By Jim on 03/19/10 21:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my S4 for over 30k miles now, so I think I can properly review it as a used car. It's a blast to drive if you drive it like it wants to be driven. You honestly have to take care to drive it slowly. I commute 3 hours round trip to DC everyday and while I hate my commute, if I just stomp on the gas in 3rd gear at 3k revs, it makes you smile like a teenager watching American Pie during a certain scene. Gun it in first and you almost feel uncomfortable. It throws you back and takes some getting used to. I typically drive conservatively, but if you downshift in this car and hear the growl, it just makes you smile. I give my car to my wife when I'm out of town, and it scares her.

excellent car
By airgim on 03/14/10 20:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fantastic engine performance. Very well built interior finishes. High quality. Excellent grip with 4wd. A pleasure to drive. You feel safe and enjoy high performance. I enjoy driving on s mode gear. A fan choice if you are looking for a used sports performance car, without looking like one.

If I could marry this car, I would!
By SSG_Wells on 10/06/09 10:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car when I was home on R&R leave from Afghanistan back in February. I had been researching the A4 for about 7 months and had every intention of buying that once I got to the dealership. As the Carmax dealer was walking me to the A4's I saw my knight in shining armor out of the corner of my eye. The girl opened the driver's side door and I was sold. I didn't even test drive the thing, and it was a manual so I had to teach myself, but trust me it was WELL worth it. I took a look at the A4's once I was done drooling over my soon-to-be new car and there was absolutely no comparison; the A4 looked like a grandma car compared to what I was about to roll home in!

BEWARE!! Caught on fire in my driveway!
By Chad on 07/12/09 02:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I loved my Audi. I really did. I had no complaints to speak of. It was flawless with only 20k miles. Unfortunately, it caught fire on its own in the middle of the night. It was an electrical fire originating under the driver's seat. Had the windows been open, the fire would've been much worse, probably would've damaged my house.

Is there a perfect car?This is may be it
By Biagio on 01/29/09 12:45 PM (PST)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Thanks to most of the reviewers here, I made the decision to purchase a used S4 (along with Audi's pure protection additional warranty). I have to say it is the most amazing car I've ever owned--even over my 67 Mustang fastback. As another reviewer said "it does everything right". A pleasure to drive, doesn't look fast but runs like a refined rocket, handles like a track car and is great in snowy terrain of the north west. Highway MPG is doable, and for those that lament about city MPG, realize it's 340HP w/over 300lb ft torque...in the same engine compartment as the A4 (which I've owned 1.8t) and also liked. This is like a supermodel love affair in comparison. Gracious, powerful, refined

Little monster
By sam on 10/12/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased the car used from an Audi dealership. I suppose I paid a little more buying the car from an Audi dealer, but the added warranty of purchasing a certified car was well worth the additional cost. The car is a monster. I have had all different types of American performance cars and they are not even in the same category as this car. The performance, handling, and braking are nothing short of phenomenal! Now the downside. The gas mileage is poor ( 18mpg if you're lucky ). The interior is a little cramped. Look at that, I can only find two negative things to comment about on this car. Great car! Be careful though, if you test drive one you'll be takeing it home.