Used 2005 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Time to debunk the Audi S4!
By kevin raynard

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Time to debunk some myths about this car that previous owners seem starstruck over

1/ The engine....well yes its ok but thats it, after all 340hp in a 3700lb body is NOT going to set the world on fire! For comparison the then new C5 vette in 1997 made 345hp and weighed 3400lb. So WHY does the S4 feel so lively?
Very simple, its all in the gearing!
It is running the equivalent of a 4.11 final drive which as any gearhead knows will give you blinding acceleration and instant thrust through the gears at the expense of fuel economy.
Which brings me to..
2. Fuel economy...TBH I do not find it to be awful, I average 19-20mpg and given the facts on the gearing is about right. Now if we were to swap the gearing to similar to a 1997 vette came with( 2.87, 3.23 or 3.42 if memory serves) you would see a large increase in average mpg, probably 5 to 6 mpg more. But then your highly rewarding impetus would be diminshed, oh well.
Please do not get me wrong, I am NOT critical of the car at all, but it is not a miracle motor some claim, just a good old fashioned combination of sound engineering and gearing.
Moreover Audi are to be praised for having the corporate balls to build this the way they did although in the mid 2000,s the economic rug if you like had not been pulled out from under the vast majority of Americans.
Drive and enjoy, prepare for high maintenance cost and so so fuel economy.

Updated review of my 2005 S4
By jnicho1

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I previously wrote a review on my car at about 70k miles and she was still an awesome car (I bought her used in 2007 with 28k miles). I say still because at about 84k miles my timing tensioners started to fail and my timing chain had the infamous rattle at start up. At first, not a big deal, but the check engine light came on and the rattle became worse and worse. I knew the repairs would cost thousands, so I had to get rid of her. It was bitter sweet because I got a new S4, but I miss the V8. The suspension isn't meant for bad roads, so beware of suspension work if you live in a city of anywhere the roads aren't great. That was several thousand $$$ too.

Great car, but beware of maintenance cost. Awesome engine, handling, seats, interior and exterior. I received compliments...a lot of them. Truly a sexy car.

Recall the timing tensioners. I had to sell the car because the repairs were not worth it.

Don't buy, unless you have money to burn
By somedaycame123

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This car is so much fun to drive, I love it!
However, now that my car, bought new, has 75k miles on it, I would be happy to get rid of it and never buy Audi again. Since I first bought it there have been problems, but when you add them all up, they are outrageous!
The original top failed during a rainstorm ,causing the car to flood.
Spent $9k replacing the control panel and rewiring the car. The new top hasn't worked for a year, Audi USA is involved now but still no satisfactory resolution. The starter broke, the car fan wouldn't shut off, draining the battery until I needed a tow to get repaired, so many other!

Love the speed and handling and other features you expect in a luxury car, like heated seats. pretty roomy backseat for family (compared to other sports cars)

Better antenna, barely picks up stations, fix design of electric top, make interior parts of better quality

Excellent car for the money
By jnicho1

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2005 S4 since 2007 (bought used off lease at 24k miles) and it has been a great car. It is a lot of fun to drive with lots of torque and great V8 growl. Living in the city, I buy cheap tires (nails, etc.) and they still do great with cornering. I've had it at top speed (155 mph) and it was surprisingly smooth, although the revs were really high. Don't expect good gas mileage, but that's not why you buy thus car. It still looks sexy and I get compliments with a car that is almost hitting it's 8th birthday. I test drove the new S4 (2013) and it just wasn't the same. I have no idea what to get next!

Very very solid, reliable, comfortable seats, great engine, acceleration, torque to hurt your neck, exhaust note, fun - a lot of fun, actually. I've beaten M3's, 911's, WRX's, G37's... But, it's a great commuter too. If I have to choose, the torque and seats are my favorite. Steering is better than the V8 M3 in my opinion as well.

6th gear ratio, center arm rest (lifts with e-brake), larger gas tank.

The Ultimate Compromise
By DJD

2005 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I drove both new and used BMW's and Mercedes before I picked my 5-year-old S4 Cabrio. Haven't regretted my choice for a second. I think of this car as the "ultimate compromise." You can speed top-down through the sweepers of Big Sur in Summer or tackle the hills at Tahoe in the winter. You can hoon it like a teenager, or ferry the kids to grandma's in safety and comfort. And oh, the engine! It's the finest engine I've ever owned - power and torque and an understated rumble. It's hard to say how this car could be improved. A hint: the 2005 tends to be ~$10k cheaper than face-lifted 06-09 models, even though it's almost exactly identical under the skin.

The engine, the engine, the engine! The interior The Bose stereo

Gas mileage is truly horrific. Pay up: it's worth it.