2004 Audi S4 4.2L V8 AWD 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - S4 Avant - A car

2004 Audi S4 - Consumer Review

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Avant quattro Wagon (4.2L V8 AWD 6-speed Manual)

S4 Avant - A car to love
By S4AudiAvantAdvocate on

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Purchased my S4 Avant in July 07. Most enjoyable car I have owned. It has utility but is refined and comfortable, the design and styling of the B6 model S4 is timeless. The handling is incredible and effortless despite a 2 ton curb weight, 4 doors, a fully functional rear seat and a large wagon cargo area. My fuel economy has averaged 17.8. I have gotten as high as 21 in highway only driving. Not as bad as others suggest, but certainly no economy or hybrid. The acceleration certainly provides a more than adequate trade off. The rear seat is comfortable for average adult passengers. Not as spacious as a full size (A6/8, 5/7series) but the other options don't provide a V8 6 spd manual.

Favorite Features

Torque, interior design and quality. The stereo is more than adequate for my listening preference, very balanced and accurate. The V8 5 valve/cylinder engine will leave you speechless. Very stable braking and handling. Have not driven in winter weather, but look forward to it. Full size spare!

Suggested Improvements

Only minor things... Steering can feel a bit removed at times. Great for highway miles, but feels numb if you push it on tight roads. Stock wheels are drab and the color finish contrasts with the polished aluminum accents (roof rails and side-view mirror housing). Brake dust.