2004 Audi S4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
Would Do It Again
By J on 12/31/04 12:55 PM (PST)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I waited six months to receive my Audi S4 after I ordered it and it was worth the wait. This car does pretty much everything well. It's a very timeless design that will not get old. Very subtle but also a hint of restrained agressiveness. The Recaro seats are sublime and the interior is about as close to perfect as I've seen. It seats four very comfortably and I've taken several long trips with teenagers in the back. No complaints other than no integrated DVD ;-) The power is perfect and is delivered through Audi's quattro. This V8 is very smooth and powerful. The power delivery is very linear and it's hard to keep the speeds down, even when I am trying. The only downside? Gas mileage.

German Muscle Car
By DolphinS4 on 12/29/04 20:20 PM (PST)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

The Audi S4 is an awesome handling car: quattro, speed sensitive steering, & suspension w/ lightweight components. Its interior is top notch, Better than the BMW M3's. Its gearbox is excellent and the clutch is kind of soft. The V8 rumble sounds better than a raspy inline 6. I was deciding between this car and an M3 and picked the S4 because it has 4-doors, a V8 engine, a superb interior, and the better gearbox. I have nearly 20,000 miles on it already and have not had a single problem. The car runs like a dream and has gobs of power throughout all the gears.

Best Christmas Present I have Ever Had
By Duggers on 12/23/04 20:56 PM (PST)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have not stopped smiling for 5 days since I purchased my 2005 S4. This car has everything I have ever dreamed of in terms of style , gadgets , comfort & power. Traded my BMW and would not go back for any amount of money. If you are in the market for a performance car you would be a fool if you didn't try the S4. Gas Mileage I can see is going to be low but with the power pack returning 340 bhp who cares. Drive it you'll love it

Performance and luxury
By Peter04S4 on 11/10/04 12:39 PM (PST)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This car is the ultimate combination of sports and luxury. While it's not quite as sporty as BMW's M3, it is far more comfortable. Not to mention that quattro makes it a true year-round practical performance car.

S4 ups and downs
By LMstent on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my S4. Driving 25,000 mi / yr, the car has been an excellent performer -- the power, handling, and comfort level are all very nicely blended and what I'm looking for in this market. Unfortunately a major issue developed. My car was in for its routine 25,000 service when an occult oil leak was detected. Apparently, there is a "watch" out on the engine where some "O ring" and sealant may need to be replaced (so I was told). Now, my car is in for sevice for a minimum of two weeks for the engine to be removed and repaired. This certainly took a toll on my confidence with Audi reliability.

The car I've been waiting for...
By mwuagi on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought mine at a huge discount because it was a dealer buy- back. Apparently, some earlier S4's had engine & tranny problems, so mine got a new engine and a new transmission with "bug" fixes, and now the car runs perfectly. The previous owner should have kept it, because I am now enjoying a flawless vehicle! We all know about the super performance and the bad gas mileage, so let's get past that and talk about what a great stealth vehicle this car is. I also own a heavily modified Mitsu Eclipse GSX that is a "Fast and Furious" type vehicle, but my S4 outperforms it, and has quiet "class" as well. With the premium package, this car is tops! M3? Humbug!

04 S4 Review
By estim8d on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Coming from a 02 BMW 3 series, I have high expectations, and I have to say, the solid, tutonic build quality of this auto is amazing. Quieter, a touch softer although still very stiff and accurate, this car rocks. Really enjoying it.

There is no other choice!
By emmabryan on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

If you live in the northeast, as I do, there is no other choice for under $60k. I have been caught in blizzards with this car and had no problems. I might have considered the M3, but what do you do when it snows? Stay home? I have taken bends in the highway at over 100 mph (after downshifting to 5th gear), and not gotten nervous or felt any lateral movement. People in their "fast and the furious" cars always try keep up with me. So far I haven't had anyone come close....

S4 Civilized Power
By wtoak001 on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

If you're part of the WRX-STI or EVO crowd, the S4 is not for you!! The S4 comes with power to spare, but it comes in an elegant and well behaved package. It is gutsy, yet balanced and predictable. While handling is not quite M3 like, you will rarely miss it. It's throaty roar pleases when your alone, but you can also take the family for a Sunday drive. Overall, it is the finest automobile I have ever owned.

A must test drive
By GSP on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

If your in the market comparing M3 and the C55 AMG, you must drive this car. Easier drive than the M3, and not as showy as the C55. (sometimes you don't want people to know what you have). Quattro makes any roadway feel safe and stable, and V8 makes this car move.