Used 2004 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Most Helpful|
Great looker - very poor reliability
By Stephen Williams

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second S4 (I had a 2001 previously), and my 5th Audi. The design is great, interior elegant and ergonomic, and it performs great. But the reliability has been miserable. I only kept it for 6 months - it was in the shop every month of those 6 months. It went through brake rotors, had a coolant leak, an transmission cooler leak, the ABS system failed intermittently, and the check engine light came on (bad O2 sensors) twice. Probably the last Audi I'll ever buy - sad really.

Favorite Features

Design, interior fit & finish, handling & acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Make a reliable car!

Incredible Car! Buy Certified!
By MrLiou168

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Went from E36 M3 to M Roadster to B5 S4 to E46 M3, and now this B6 S4. What a difference! The V8 is a torque monster compared to the M cars, and handling is every bit as sharp and confidence-inspiring. Interior can't be beat, and Bose stereo works well. I think Audi's nav system has a contract with the oil companies, as this thing will re-route you all over the country. Passing power is awesome, but clutch engagement is very tricky. Highly recommended, as long as you don't live in a city. City MPG is between 9-13! The fun factor is worth every gallon however.

Favorite Features

V8 power, Interior design and build quality, Bose audio, AWD, improved transmission, exhaust rumble, cavernous trunk, ride quality for a sports sedan, understated styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage, tricky clutch. Smallish back seat, but who cares? Xenon lights could be brighter compared to BMW.

Buy with warranty or be ready to spend
By AC_SOCAL

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Pros : Performance is awesome, one of the best looking sport sedans , interior is spacious, sound system is great, fully loaded with options, very nice seats. Cons: 1) very poor reliability! So far : bearings, engine cover gaskets, coils, light sensors, seat warmers wiring, clutch!, control arm. I was not expecting that many issues with a car that I take good care of and I hardly overdrive it! Good thing all were covered by extended warranty. 2) MPG : 14 to 15 3) Front heavy due to engine weight I am reluctant to buy another Audi, although the S5 is hard to resist. I owned 328i BWM for 5 yrs I did not have any problems until around 100K miles,I started having problems with S4 at 30K mi

Favorite Features

Handling, torque, design ( interior/exterior)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability improvement, a little less torque for sake of reliability, and weight distribution. Nicer / sportier steering wheel

A versatile car in every way except...
By Dr. Michael Busse

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This vehicle is very versatile. It isn't the fastest car nor the sexiest nor the safest but it IS the best combination of all of these. It is plenty fast, has very good looks, fit and finish, has all the safety features one could want such as curtain airbags and AWD, and has the ability to be usefull year round in northern climates. What this car isn't is reliable. They are expensive to repair largely due to the very tight packaging constraints of fitting in the v8. Common issues include clutches, valve cover gaskets, coilpacks, tensioner pullies, and starters. In three months of ownership the car visited the dealership 4 separate times with a total of 2 thousand in repairs (warrantied).

Favorite Features

Seductive exhaust note with linear powerband. Fit and finish is superb. Quattro makes it easy for bad drivers to look good.

Suggested Improvements

While the quattro allows almost anyone to play hard in this car with 340 hp, it also takes away some of the raw fun you will get out of a RWD car like the M3. Reliablility is terrible and repairs are very expensive.

The perfect all around car
By Joe

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a Audi CPO and only had it a few months but this is the car for me! By far the fastest car I ever owned! Not flashy yet very stylish and gives you the best all around performance. I can pick up my kid from school, plow threw snow and rain, yet take a Porsche Boxster! You start to smile as soon as you start this car up. The rumble of the V-8 is just amazing but it still is quite and refined when you drive at high speeds. The AWD not only helps in the snow but but makes the handling unbelieveable. Even if this car loses grib it quickly corrects itself and keeps you in control. this is my first Audi so I just hope it is reliable because I want to keep it for a long time

Favorite Features

The 4.2 liter V-8 and the AWD

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage without losing performance