Used 2004 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

S4 Cab,,,, the best of all worlds!
By tmS4cab

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Amazing looks, performance, comfort, safety, room for 4 real people, top- down fun and .... all-wheel drive! The 6 spd. stick is precise with crisp, short throws. Keeping engine rpms below 4500 in this break-in period, but there is a ton of torque on hand in any gear! Can't wait to "air it out". Ordered the car back in January and took delivery *exactly* when expected. The Light Silver Alcantra interior is rich and luxurious and contrasts against the Black trim beautifully. Chose the optional Carbon-Fiber trim rather than the dark brown walnut. Ordered mine Moro (dark) Blue with matching Blue top. Car feels *very* solid, hugging the road.

Favorite Features

Powerful V-8, tons of torque. Crisp, precise 6 spd. True throaty exhaust note. Extremely fun-to-drive. Solid feel, safe, comfortable. Classy looks... top-up or top-down. Room for 4. Quattro.. nothing beats all-wheel drive. All weather/ all season vehicle. Superb quality and materials.

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholder (needs to be deeper).

Why has no one heard of the S4?
By chrisincalif

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I had an '03 A4 CVT (hated CVT) and upgraded to my S4. I actually laughed out loud the first time I drove it. An amazing car. The sound of the engine alone makes you want to get behind the wheel. The all-wheel drive provides a secure feeling around corners. Design-wise, no domestic, BMW or Benz or Japanese car even compares. I had a Nogaro blue with enhanced black/blue interior. The seats "hug" you and makes you feel secure while driving.

Favorite Features

Everything: design, color, interior, premium sound system, silver side mirrors, Recaro seats, instrument cluster, engine (sound & performance), rear spoiler, Xenon headlights ... like I said, everything!

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage is kinda stinky, but I realize this isn't Audi's fault ... comes with the territory of having a 340hp 4.2L V8.

2004 V8 vs. 2001 Biturbo
By adeshpa

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in my 2001 S4 biturbo for a 2004 6-spd. The 2004 is very quick (with MT clocking a 5 second 60 MPH sprint, versus the factory's 5.6 est.), with an incredibly usuable torque curve. Unlike the 2001, there is no lag in acceleration, and it pulls hard from 2k RPM all the way to 5k before tailing off--you don't have to work the engine hard to bring a smile to your face. The torque is noticeable on the highways as well, where 60-90 MPH sprints pass by in a blur. Minuses--Fit and finish is poorer, mileage is terrible, harsh ride (esp. if you live in the NE), adaptive steering and handling generally can be irritating. Gripes are small.So far I love it.

Favorite Features

The sound of the engine (esp. on decel). The performance of the engine. Interior with Alcantara. Stereo (with subwoofer). Stealthy.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish. Nav. All-season tires are more practical (in the NE anyway) than the stock Conti performance tires.

Love my new S4 Cabrio
By KenSchwartz

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This car is quick off the line with true appeal on turns. The SMG paddle shifters give the control of a stick without the annoyance of a clutch in traffic. Stereo is clear, seats are so comfortable. This thing is just great in turns and loves to jump off the line. I had a 1999 Corvette and I like this more - can't believe I'm saying this. Mine- brilliant red with silver/wood interior.

Favorite Features

The brushed aluminum windshield frame and mirrors, interior wood is real and nice quality. Seats/leather is soft but firm - good for a ride.

Suggested Improvements

Polished wheels as option & other stock wheel options. Stereo could use more umphff with top down. Top is slow Gas tank remote button so attendants don't dig fingers into body to open. Chrome on entire grille facing may be nice. A nice, classy analog clock would be good touch

Racecar fun, SUV utility and MPG
By christhegoalie

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I am one of the 10 Americans that LOVE wagons and this one is as good as you can buy. I have the one from the ads, blue w/ blue and black int. Looks awesome. V8 is stellar! (especially after you add the APR complete exhaust sys.) Great brakes (I might even leave them factory!) Decent suspension (likely to upgrade) Downside: Even being super nice I can't get 20 MPG.

Favorite Features

Killer V8 and the music it makes. Cargo capacity, demonic driving in 4 seasons

Suggested Improvements

Most things that need improving (lousy stereo, only decent suspension) I will just upgrade myself (go for complete coil-over setup) but either give me a 5 gallon bigger fuel tank or improve economy into the Hummer range! I fill up every other day!