2004 Audi S4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
This One Does it All
By 1st Audi Man on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is the perfect car if you don't want to be seen in a "sports car". Not to mention, you can haul a few kids along the way as well. Although it is not as athletic as a Cayman, it will easily blow away your expectation as to what a grocery hauler can do. It has the class inside and out as you'd expect from an Audi. The 4.2L V8 is a battle-tested dynamo in the lineup. Sure, you can complain about the mileage, but don't buy this car if that's on the top of your list - high performance is what it is. Although we haven't used it to tow anything, it is our do it all car anytime of the year. If you can find one (sedan or wagon), jump on it, you will be happy

Uber wagon, year round satisfaction
By admiral on 09/01/10 07:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

What a great year round vehicle! Classy looks, classy interior, good handling, comfortable ride, 4 doors, wagon versatility, great power, all wheel drive, powerful brakes, and in my case, absolutely reliable, no problems. This car offers a combination that few, if any can match. Great engineering. Get your M3s out of the barn in the Midwest during winter. LOL

S4 Avant - A car to love
By S4AudiAvantAdvocate on 10/05/07 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Purchased my S4 Avant in July 07. Most enjoyable car I have owned. It has utility but is refined and comfortable, the design and styling of the B6 model S4 is timeless. The handling is incredible and effortless despite a 2 ton curb weight, 4 doors, a fully functional rear seat and a large wagon cargo area. My fuel economy has averaged 17.8. I have gotten as high as 21 in highway only driving. Not as bad as others suggest, but certainly no economy or hybrid. The acceleration certainly provides a more than adequate trade off. The rear seat is comfortable for average adult passengers. Not as spacious as a full size (A6/8, 5/7series) but the other options don't provide a V8 6 spd manual.

One of my favorites
By PikesPeak on 09/18/07 09:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Over the years I have owned a number of fast cars and this ranks as one of the best. I originally intended buying the sedan but ended up getting the wagon (with a 6 speed) which I think is even better looking and a bit more practical.

The most camoflaged car on the road!
By Bogue on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Third child came/ TT had to go/wife got minivan and I got a world class sports car disguised as a family station wagon.Audi builds great exteriors(Black on Black)and even better interiors(two-tone black/grey Alcantara,Recaro seats,both front&back seats).Bose concert sound is very nice but the throaty rumble of 340HP is even nicer.Quattro lends confidence that even in the worst weather my family is safer in the Avant than in our minivan.A note about gas mileage big V8s can have big appetites especially in city driving, however I found the highway gas mileage to be comparable to other V8s.

sleeper wagon
By lisainla on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I think that this car was custom made for me by the powers that be. My husband knew he was sunk as soon as I sat in it! The wagon is such a sleeper, just to see the look on the faces of the wanna be racers I blow away on the freeway makes me giddy. Yet, the wagon is extremely versatile. I have 2 large labs that I cart around in the cargo space, with the seats up! I take long trips with the dogs and the car is super comfortable and performs in all types of weather. The seats hug you comfortably and overall the car's performance it stellar. I LOVE IT!! Was gonna hold out for the BMW545it, but glad I didn't.

Racecar fun, SUV utility and MPG
By christhegoalie on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I am one of the 10 Americans that LOVE wagons and this one is as good as you can buy. I have the one from the ads, blue w/ blue and black int. Looks awesome. V8 is stellar! (especially after you add the APR complete exhaust sys.) Great brakes (I might even leave them factory!) Decent suspension (likely to upgrade) Downside: Even being super nice I can't get 20 MPG.

Best Drive
By gvanpelt on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned several Audis including two high end wagons, a 200 Wagon and a 95 S6 Wagon, both very strong performing cars especially on the highway, but this car is at whole other level. Although the other two wagons were turbos the 340 HP V8 in the S4 is far quicker in any gear at any speed, there is never any turbo lag, step on it and it moves. The S4 is a great highway drive, but it is also has a sporter feel that my older larger Audis. Far and away the best car I have ever owned. I may buy a second.

Oh What a Feeling!!!
By aamyot on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Unbelievable, smooth and powerful. A joy just to sit in and admire. Smoothest tranny I have ever experienced. Not a day goes by where either the color (Nogaro blue) or the Alacantara recaro (blue) interior doesn't get noticed by a passer-by!

Rockin' Rocket of a 4-door!
By AudioFileZ on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Wagon Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned this car for about 2.5 months and I still get excited everytime I get in and crank it. My exitement hasn't diminished a bit yet, in fact it has grown as I have learned to drive it (44yrs. old and never shifted gears before can you believe). This car is art. It is an amazing blend of ergonomic creature comfort, great looks, 4-door functionality, and unbelievable performance. It leaves very little left to add to the mix since it is so potent and so driveable.