2004 Audi S4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
AWD Rocket
By anchorage on 05/10/13 11:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

2004 Audi S4 Manual 26K miles I'm 6' 250 lbs Male What a blast to drive. I bought this low mile beauty above market and it was a joy to drive. Both it the city where I absolutely rocketed between stoplights and in the city where I flew around curves the Audi never stopped delighting me. I had the manual (which is why I had to sell it after only 2K miles due to a bad knee) which I imagine is more fun. It stuck to the road like it was glued. I never really drove it in the winter so the AWD was only tested in rain - it worked great. Absolutely a joy to drive unless stuck in traffic. I could not make myself go slow unless I was trapped in traffic. I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT.

Buy with warranty or be ready to spend
By AC_SOCAL on 05/05/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Pros : Performance is awesome, one of the best looking sport sedans , interior is spacious, sound system is great, fully loaded with options, very nice seats. Cons: 1) very poor reliability! So far : bearings, engine cover gaskets, coils, light sensors, seat warmers wiring, clutch!, control arm. I was not expecting that many issues with a car that I take good care of and I hardly overdrive it! Good thing all were covered by extended warranty. 2) MPG : 14 to 15 3) Front heavy due to engine weight I am reluctant to buy another Audi, although the S5 is hard to resist. I owned 328i BWM for 5 yrs I did not have any problems until around 100K miles,I started having problems with S4 at 30K mi

Fairly Impressed
By Proud Dad on 03/24/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Was looking for a 4 door with some grunt...domestics (Charger, Impala, etc) were garbage. S4 head and shoulders above. This car gets after it. Seats are extremely supportive and engine growl is addicting. Hugs the road and begs for curves. Don't know if I would recommend for a commuter car. Made more for crooked back roads. Best looking car on road in my opinion and it's 5 years old at this point! Averaging around 19 combined mpg--and that's with me "going easy" on acceleration and driving a lot of interstate. Like I said, not necessarily a commuter car or a car that's going to attract a lot of attention (a good thing in my book!).

Wish I had my 01 S4 back
By Andrew on 10/04/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I so wanted to love this car after enjoying my 01 SO MUCH but although it's fast and fun, the mpg is pathetic (my 01 averaged 18-22 but I got 33-36 on cruises in the Rockies) and electrical gremlins are numerous. Strut replacement at $2000 is obscene and why water dribbles out of the side panels days after a wash is pathetic. The Alcantara wears very badly.

The perfect all around car
By Joe on 09/28/08 09:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a Audi CPO and only had it a few months but this is the car for me! By far the fastest car I ever owned! Not flashy yet very stylish and gives you the best all around performance. I can pick up my kid from school, plow threw snow and rain, yet take a Porsche Boxster! You start to smile as soon as you start this car up. The rumble of the V-8 is just amazing but it still is quite and refined when you drive at high speeds. The AWD not only helps in the snow but but makes the handling unbelieveable. Even if this car loses grib it quickly corrects itself and keeps you in control. this is my first Audi so I just hope it is reliable because I want to keep it for a long time

Supercar in a sedan!
By jpez on 07/14/08 12:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I just bought this car as a certified pre-owned. So far I love the car! It is so fast and comfortable to drive! All the luxury I can ever need and fast enough to keep up with most of the sports cars on the road. All with all wheel drive and 4 doors! I can take my daughter to school in it, go through bad weather or run it at the track. This car was made for a family guy like myself who doesn't want to let go of the kid in them!

Understated excellence
By Homer742 on 05/05/08 14:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've owned my 2004 S4 for almost two years now (bought w/ 15k miles), sufficient time both to get over any new car puppy love and to notice any reliability issues. Well, I'm still in love and the only reliability issue was a balky sunroof switch that was replaced under warranty. At first glance, it appears to be a mild-mannered A4: solid German engineering in a conservatively styled sedan. But once you've settled into a front seat that holds you tight and heard the V8 grumble to life, you know this is no A4. A few corners at high speed and one highway on-ramp are all that's needed to confirm that you're driving an agile machine that carries speed deceptively well.

Fun car to own and drive
By Nick on 04/09/08 13:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Car is an everyday car with performance, although a bit heavy. Glad I bought it and has been worth it so far. No major repairs needed as with the other reviewers and I'm just under 30k miles and put 6k on when I bought it used. Have run it through snow, sleet, and rain and it hasn't failed me yet! I would recommend this car if you've got income to spend on it snacking on fuel every opportunity it can get.

Never Follow
By greekaudifanatic on 07/07/07 21:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I'm 22 and have now owned 3 audis. Loved my 2000 A6 2.7T for 3 years then looked to get a new Audi. Was first looking for a 2006 A8L which is such a great luxury sedan. I test drove a Dolpin Grey S4 as well on the lot and ever since never wanted to stop driving it. Can't say enough about the whole package, engine is awesome and fit and finish as well.

04 S4 -Tremendous
By RaudiS4 on 05/29/07 10:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This car is fantastic. Surefooted, easy to drive hard, fun, reliable and solid (read, safe). The AWD and traction control make this a serious toy for us "older" kids. And, when you think you've mastered it, turn off the traction control.