Used 2004 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Joy Ride
By 04b6jc22

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

What an apsolute joy to drive one of these. I have an 04 with suspension, brakes, RS4 wheels, Milltek exhaust addons. Simple bolt ons, but i wouldnt put this kind of money into something i didn't think was worth it. I am a total nerd/gear head when it comes to cars and this is only one of a few affordable cars i drool over. It's not the fastest car. If a 911 turbo pulls up besides you, dont waste the fuel. But if one of those chump Mustangs try to pull the same crap (again. Dont waste your time and fuel), but be assure that if he's dumb enough to challenge, you'll take the cake. Rides like it's on rails and screams through the corners. It makes a rumble that will cause earth quakes!

Favorite Features

engine, AWD system, navigation, sterio, seats, ride quality, transmission, descret look

Suggested Improvements

suspension, exhaust!!!

AWD Rocket
By anchorage

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

2004 Audi S4 Manual 26K miles I'm 6' 250 lbs Male What a blast to drive. I bought this low mile beauty above market and it was a joy to drive. Both it the city where I absolutely rocketed between stoplights and in the city where I flew around curves the Audi never stopped delighting me. I had the manual (which is why I had to sell it after only 2K miles due to a bad knee) which I imagine is more fun. It stuck to the road like it was glued. I never really drove it in the winter so the AWD was only tested in rain - it worked great. Absolutely a joy to drive unless stuck in traffic. I could not make myself go slow unless I was trapped in traffic. I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT.

Favorite Features

POWER - lots of it all the time. Brakes were excellent. Seats are Recarro covered with leather and very very nice and supportive. Interior build materials are very nice and luxurious feeling. I loved the headlight spray feature to clean them during snow melt in Alaska when everything is dirty for 3 weeks. AWD is a must if you want to enjoy it in the winter and live in snow areas. It's a very beautiful car. I loved the manual built in sun shades in the rear side windows for my child and the electric sun shade on the back window which can also be used to dim the headlights of those following you at night like a dimming mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Blizzak lm-60 tires not great in the snow and terrible in ice. I had no problems in brief ownership but Audi are legendary for poor reliability and high repair bills that's why I paid out upfront for a very low mile example. Blind spot visibility is terrible. Car is too small for large people and so low on the ground getting in and out is a struggle. Once you are in it's very comfortable but very tight. If you are 150 lbs you will like it. I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT and that is very comfortable for 4-5 large adults and just as fast. If only it was AWD. Due to tight size it was very difficult to get my 1 year old into her car seat.

Buy with warranty or be ready to spend
By AC_SOCAL

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Pros : Performance is awesome, one of the best looking sport sedans , interior is spacious, sound system is great, fully loaded with options, very nice seats. Cons: 1) very poor reliability! So far : bearings, engine cover gaskets, coils, light sensors, seat warmers wiring, clutch!, control arm. I was not expecting that many issues with a car that I take good care of and I hardly overdrive it! Good thing all were covered by extended warranty. 2) MPG : 14 to 15 3) Front heavy due to engine weight I am reluctant to buy another Audi, although the S5 is hard to resist. I owned 328i BWM for 5 yrs I did not have any problems until around 100K miles,I started having problems with S4 at 30K mi

Favorite Features

Handling, torque, design ( interior/exterior)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability improvement, a little less torque for sake of reliability, and weight distribution. Nicer / sportier steering wheel

Fairly Impressed
By Proud Dad

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Was looking for a 4 door with some grunt...domestics (Charger, Impala, etc) were garbage. S4 head and shoulders above. This car gets after it. Seats are extremely supportive and engine growl is addicting. Hugs the road and begs for curves. Don't know if I would recommend for a commuter car. Made more for crooked back roads. Best looking car on road in my opinion and it's 5 years old at this point! Averaging around 19 combined mpg--and that's with me "going easy" on acceleration and driving a lot of interstate. Like I said, not necessarily a commuter car or a car that's going to attract a lot of attention (a good thing in my book!).

Favorite Features

recaro seats (a little stiff for some, but definitely supportive!); ergonomics; exhaust note; solid build; dashing good looks

Suggested Improvements

Know what you're getting into: gas mileage is not its strong suit. I've had a few headaches with check engine light, but easily forgotten after a few curves! Have a good mechanic in mind before buying used--repairs are notoriously costly (especially at dealership)

Wish I had my 01 S4 back
By Andrew

2004 Audi S4 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I so wanted to love this car after enjoying my 01 SO MUCH but although it's fast and fun, the mpg is pathetic (my 01 averaged 18-22 but I got 33-36 on cruises in the Rockies) and electrical gremlins are numerous. Strut replacement at $2000 is obscene and why water dribbles out of the side panels days after a wash is pathetic. The Alcantara wears very badly.

Favorite Features

Power...surprises a lot of people on on-ramps. :}

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the electrics for reliability. Don't use Alcantara. Stereo could use more bass.