2004 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
Joy Ride
By 04b6jc22 on 08/28/14 08:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

What an apsolute joy to drive one of these. I have an 04 with suspension, brakes, RS4 wheels, Milltek exhaust addons. Simple bolt ons, but i wouldnt put this kind of money into something i didn't think was worth it. I am a total nerd/gear head when it comes to cars and this is only one of a few affordable cars i drool over. It's not the fastest car. If a 911 turbo pulls up besides you, dont waste the fuel. But if one of those chump Mustangs try to pull the same crap (again. Dont waste your time and fuel), but be assure that if he's dumb enough to challenge, you'll take the cake. Rides like it's on rails and screams through the corners. It makes a rumble that will cause earth quakes!

AWD Rocket
By anchorage on 05/10/13 11:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

2004 Audi S4 Manual 26K miles I'm 6' 250 lbs Male What a blast to drive. I bought this low mile beauty above market and it was a joy to drive. Both it the city where I absolutely rocketed between stoplights and in the city where I flew around curves the Audi never stopped delighting me. I had the manual (which is why I had to sell it after only 2K miles due to a bad knee) which I imagine is more fun. It stuck to the road like it was glued. I never really drove it in the winter so the AWD was only tested in rain - it worked great. Absolutely a joy to drive unless stuck in traffic. I could not make myself go slow unless I was trapped in traffic. I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT.

This One Does it All
By 1st Audi Man on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is the perfect car if you don't want to be seen in a "sports car". Not to mention, you can haul a few kids along the way as well. Although it is not as athletic as a Cayman, it will easily blow away your expectation as to what a grocery hauler can do. It has the class inside and out as you'd expect from an Audi. The 4.2L V8 is a battle-tested dynamo in the lineup. Sure, you can complain about the mileage, but don't buy this car if that's on the top of your list - high performance is what it is. Although we haven't used it to tow anything, it is our do it all car anytime of the year. If you can find one (sedan or wagon), jump on it, you will be happy

Uber wagon, year round satisfaction
By admiral on 09/01/10 07:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

What a great year round vehicle! Classy looks, classy interior, good handling, comfortable ride, 4 doors, wagon versatility, great power, all wheel drive, powerful brakes, and in my case, absolutely reliable, no problems. This car offers a combination that few, if any can match. Great engineering. Get your M3s out of the barn in the Midwest during winter. LOL

Buy with warranty or be ready to spend
By AC_SOCAL on 05/05/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Pros : Performance is awesome, one of the best looking sport sedans , interior is spacious, sound system is great, fully loaded with options, very nice seats. Cons: 1) very poor reliability! So far : bearings, engine cover gaskets, coils, light sensors, seat warmers wiring, clutch!, control arm. I was not expecting that many issues with a car that I take good care of and I hardly overdrive it! Good thing all were covered by extended warranty. 2) MPG : 14 to 15 3) Front heavy due to engine weight I am reluctant to buy another Audi, although the S5 is hard to resist. I owned 328i BWM for 5 yrs I did not have any problems until around 100K miles,I started having problems with S4 at 30K mi

Fairly Impressed
By Proud Dad on 03/24/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Was looking for a 4 door with some grunt...domestics (Charger, Impala, etc) were garbage. S4 head and shoulders above. This car gets after it. Seats are extremely supportive and engine growl is addicting. Hugs the road and begs for curves. Don't know if I would recommend for a commuter car. Made more for crooked back roads. Best looking car on road in my opinion and it's 5 years old at this point! Averaging around 19 combined mpg--and that's with me "going easy" on acceleration and driving a lot of interstate. Like I said, not necessarily a commuter car or a car that's going to attract a lot of attention (a good thing in my book!).

Wish I had my 01 S4 back
By Andrew on 10/04/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I so wanted to love this car after enjoying my 01 SO MUCH but although it's fast and fun, the mpg is pathetic (my 01 averaged 18-22 but I got 33-36 on cruises in the Rockies) and electrical gremlins are numerous. Strut replacement at $2000 is obscene and why water dribbles out of the side panels days after a wash is pathetic. The Alcantara wears very badly.

Joy of S4
By kc0pah on 02/15/09 13:16 PM (PST)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Simply a joy to own and to drive. Handles every bit as well as the 2001 TT it replaced, and has 2.5 times the raw power. Wife's MB-CLK430 not built as well nor does it have the smooth power delivery. The S4 out corners and out powers it in head to head spirited driving.

The perfect all around car
By Joe on 09/28/08 09:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a Audi CPO and only had it a few months but this is the car for me! By far the fastest car I ever owned! Not flashy yet very stylish and gives you the best all around performance. I can pick up my kid from school, plow threw snow and rain, yet take a Porsche Boxster! You start to smile as soon as you start this car up. The rumble of the V-8 is just amazing but it still is quite and refined when you drive at high speeds. The AWD not only helps in the snow but but makes the handling unbelieveable. Even if this car loses grib it quickly corrects itself and keeps you in control. this is my first Audi so I just hope it is reliable because I want to keep it for a long time

Supercar in a sedan!
By jpez on 07/14/08 12:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I just bought this car as a certified pre-owned. So far I love the car! It is so fast and comfortable to drive! All the luxury I can ever need and fast enough to keep up with most of the sports cars on the road. All with all wheel drive and 4 doors! I can take my daughter to school in it, go through bad weather or run it at the track. This car was made for a family guy like myself who doesn't want to let go of the kid in them!