Used 2004 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Joy Ride
By 04b6jc22

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

What an apsolute joy to drive one of these. I have an 04 with suspension, brakes, RS4 wheels, Milltek exhaust addons. Simple bolt ons, but i wouldnt put this kind of money into something i didn't think was worth it. I am a total nerd/gear head when it comes to cars and this is only one of a few affordable cars i drool over. It's not the fastest car. If a 911 turbo pulls up besides you, dont waste the fuel. But if one of those chump Mustangs try to pull the same crap (again. Dont waste your time and fuel), but be assure that if he's dumb enough to challenge, you'll take the cake. Rides like it's on rails and screams through the corners. It makes a rumble that will cause earth quakes!

Favorite Features

engine, AWD system, navigation, sterio, seats, ride quality, transmission, descret look

Suggested Improvements

suspension, exhaust!!!

AWD Rocket
By anchorage

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

2004 Audi S4 Manual 26K miles I'm 6' 250 lbs Male What a blast to drive. I bought this low mile beauty above market and it was a joy to drive. Both it the city where I absolutely rocketed between stoplights and in the city where I flew around curves the Audi never stopped delighting me. I had the manual (which is why I had to sell it after only 2K miles due to a bad knee) which I imagine is more fun. It stuck to the road like it was glued. I never really drove it in the winter so the AWD was only tested in rain - it worked great. Absolutely a joy to drive unless stuck in traffic. I could not make myself go slow unless I was trapped in traffic. I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT.

Favorite Features

POWER - lots of it all the time. Brakes were excellent. Seats are Recarro covered with leather and very very nice and supportive. Interior build materials are very nice and luxurious feeling. I loved the headlight spray feature to clean them during snow melt in Alaska when everything is dirty for 3 weeks. AWD is a must if you want to enjoy it in the winter and live in snow areas. It's a very beautiful car. I loved the manual built in sun shades in the rear side windows for my child and the electric sun shade on the back window which can also be used to dim the headlights of those following you at night like a dimming mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Blizzak lm-60 tires not great in the snow and terrible in ice. I had no problems in brief ownership but Audi are legendary for poor reliability and high repair bills that's why I paid out upfront for a very low mile example. Blind spot visibility is terrible. Car is too small for large people and so low on the ground getting in and out is a struggle. Once you are in it's very comfortable but very tight. If you are 150 lbs you will like it. I replaced it with a Pontiac G8 GT and that is very comfortable for 4-5 large adults and just as fast. If only it was AWD. Due to tight size it was very difficult to get my 1 year old into her car seat.

This One Does it All
By 1st Audi Man

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is the perfect car if you don't want to be seen in a "sports car". Not to mention, you can haul a few kids along the way as well. Although it is not as athletic as a Cayman, it will easily blow away your expectation as to what a grocery hauler can do. It has the class inside and out as you'd expect from an Audi. The 4.2L V8 is a battle-tested dynamo in the lineup. Sure, you can complain about the mileage, but don't buy this car if that's on the top of your list - high performance is what it is. Although we haven't used it to tow anything, it is our do it all car anytime of the year. If you can find one (sedan or wagon), jump on it, you will be happy

Favorite Features

Power for the size of the vehicle and relative price of the car for a polished V8. Capability in our family where Dad gets his "car" and Mom has a useful car as well. Budget-wise, it works in this day and age where you can't just keep an extra car around for weekend fun.

Suggested Improvements

I can't complain that the RS level is not available in Avant trim as it isn't as popular in the US, but power is addictive.

Uber wagon, year round satisfaction
By admiral

2004 Audi S4 Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

What a great year round vehicle! Classy looks, classy interior, good handling, comfortable ride, 4 doors, wagon versatility, great power, all wheel drive, powerful brakes, and in my case, absolutely reliable, no problems. This car offers a combination that few, if any can match. Great engineering. Get your M3s out of the barn in the Midwest during winter. LOL

Favorite Features

6 speed manual, V8 engine, solid build quality, classy looks

Suggested Improvements

more power would be a plus.

Buy with warranty or be ready to spend
By AC_SOCAL

2004 Audi S4 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Pros : Performance is awesome, one of the best looking sport sedans , interior is spacious, sound system is great, fully loaded with options, very nice seats. Cons: 1) very poor reliability! So far : bearings, engine cover gaskets, coils, light sensors, seat warmers wiring, clutch!, control arm. I was not expecting that many issues with a car that I take good care of and I hardly overdrive it! Good thing all were covered by extended warranty. 2) MPG : 14 to 15 3) Front heavy due to engine weight I am reluctant to buy another Audi, although the S5 is hard to resist. I owned 328i BWM for 5 yrs I did not have any problems until around 100K miles,I started having problems with S4 at 30K mi

Favorite Features

Handling, torque, design ( interior/exterior)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability improvement, a little less torque for sake of reliability, and weight distribution. Nicer / sportier steering wheel