living with an S4 AVANT
By c o guy on
2001 Audi S4 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)
I went from an A4 avant to an S4 avant by accident. I visited the dealership to purchase some touch-up paint for the A4...a friend there asked me If I liked the S4, to which I replied yes except for the shift linkage. He tossed me the keys to an S4 AVANT Tip and said "go drive this for a while" well after an hour I ended up with a new car! It has been flawless for me and is great fun to drive. most people dont realize that a little eurpoean stationwagon can turn in a sub 6 second 0-60 time. It performs flawlessly in daily city driving as well as extended road trips. If it has a flaw it would be that at 120 mph you feel like you are doing 60. I LOVE this car!
Favorite Features
First and formost is the unbridled power. Twin turbos are a great way to produce smooth, startling acceleration. It is very ergonomic and all the controls fall readily to hand, although I might have placed the heater on off switch in a slightly different place, otherwise its perfect.
Suggested Improvements
The only flaw that bothers me about this car is the very poor security system. A $40,000 car should have an anti-theft device that is not easily defeated by a 6 year old with a screw driver. otherwise the only improvement would have been to import the RS4!