Used 2001 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Twin Turbo Fast fun and practical
By Zen Akita

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is safe, VERY Fast, handles like a super car and is Amazing in snow and rain. Is it the perfect car. I have found it to be. You may also.

Favorite Features

Performance and all weather driving what else do u need.

audiS4 kicksbtt
By bindato

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

total fun, drove it on alcan, awesome winter car, not good for big family- rear space little tight

Favorite Features

power and handling

Suggested Improvements

more power is always good

living with an S4 AVANT
By c o guy

2001 Audi S4 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I went from an A4 avant to an S4 avant by accident. I visited the dealership to purchase some touch-up paint for the A4...a friend there asked me If I liked the S4, to which I replied yes except for the shift linkage. He tossed me the keys to an S4 AVANT Tip and said "go drive this for a while" well after an hour I ended up with a new car! It has been flawless for me and is great fun to drive. most people dont realize that a little eurpoean stationwagon can turn in a sub 6 second 0-60 time. It performs flawlessly in daily city driving as well as extended road trips. If it has a flaw it would be that at 120 mph you feel like you are doing 60. I LOVE this car!

Favorite Features

First and formost is the unbridled power. Twin turbos are a great way to produce smooth, startling acceleration. It is very ergonomic and all the controls fall readily to hand, although I might have placed the heater on off switch in a slightly different place, otherwise its perfect.

Suggested Improvements

The only flaw that bothers me about this car is the very poor security system. A $40,000 car should have an anti-theft device that is not easily defeated by a 6 year old with a screw driver. otherwise the only improvement would have been to import the RS4!

A Great Auto
By magik

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

5.5 sec to 60mph; the '04 S4 with 340hp is only 0.1-0.2 sec faster and has a very harsh ride but a little better handling and shifter (but at a $50K price). Winter requires snow tires. Large trunk and full-size spare tire. Owner's manual calls for 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil; the local dealer only carries 10w-30 so I have to bring my own oil in. Only reliability problem was a seat heater needing replacement at 49K. Nice Bose needs bass help; the Avant has a subwoofer. Touchy brakes stop quickly. I've averaged 24.4mpg since 3/01 - trip computer exaggerates mpg by 10%. I track every fill-up. Over one 10K stretch, the trip computer overstated the actual by 2.4 mpg

Favorite Features

Soft, supple ride quality w/17 inch wheels, acceleration, handling, awd. Leather is much softer than in the A4.

Suggested Improvements

No seat memory for '01. Limited rear legroom and front could've used 1 more inch.The steering wheel has annoyingly placed bumps on the outside that make the wheel painful to grip on long drives; an extremely poor design. I bought a steering wheel cover to eliminate that problem.

true stealth
By sforza

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

fast but some turbo lag; almost no one knows how fast this car really is; my 4th audi and not my last

Favorite Features

good acceleration from a standstill; handles well and few cars can beat you from a stop; good materials and complete gauges

Suggested Improvements

dated design, small back seat, bad fuel economy, very small gas tank