Used 2001 Audi S4 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi S4 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Avant quattro 2.7L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (6 reviews )

A good alternative to an SUV
By APB_S4

2001 Audi S4 Wagon Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I own an 4-Runner and a '00 Boxster, but I need another car (Since Boxster's lease is ending shortly, and my mother wants to use the 4-Runner, plus, I am getting marry soon.) I pick the S4 because: 1) Fast, with a Chipped ECU it can get you over 300 hp and 350 tq/ft 2) 4WD, no need to worry about weather 3) Rich in features: comes with Bose stereo system, heated and 8-way power seat, glass sun roof, all dim mirrors, roof bike rack, ESP, etc. 4) Space is about the same compare to BMW and a bit better then IS300 in terms of cabin and rear trunk space. Compares with 325i Wagon or IS300 Wagon, I think this is a better buy ($$ vs features, comfort and power).

1) Lots of power and torque. 2) Comfortable Seat design (comfortable yet wrap around your body nice and secure). 3) Rich in feature - bose stereo, sun roof, bike rack, dim mirror, heated + 8 way power seats, ESP, etc.

1) Need better By Pass Valve 2) Some small rattle noise from behind the seat. (easy fix under warranty) 3) Could use more rear space but 4 is ok 4) Suspension - I thought I was spoiled by Boxster, but after compare with others, Audi is the softest. So I changed wheels and spring/shocks.

living with an S4 AVANT
By c o guy

2001 Audi S4 Wagon Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I went from an A4 avant to an S4 avant by accident. I visited the dealership to purchase some touch-up paint for the A4...a friend there asked me If I liked the S4, to which I replied yes except for the shift linkage. He tossed me the keys to an S4 AVANT Tip and said "go drive this for a while" well after an hour I ended up with a new car! It has been flawless for me and is great fun to drive. most people dont realize that a little eurpoean stationwagon can turn in a sub 6 second 0-60 time. It performs flawlessly in daily city driving as well as extended road trips. If it has a flaw it would be that at 120 mph you feel like you are doing 60. I LOVE this car!

First and formost is the unbridled power. Twin turbos are a great way to produce smooth, startling acceleration. It is very ergonomic and all the controls fall readily to hand, although I might have placed the heater on off switch in a slightly different place, otherwise its perfect.

The only flaw that bothers me about this car is the very poor security system. A $40,000 car should have an anti-theft device that is not easily defeated by a 6 year old with a screw driver. otherwise the only improvement would have been to import the RS4!

S4
By Suckas

2001 Audi S4 Wagon Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This car iz so wonderful to drive, a lot od power, stabability, control and it can be compared with almost any car from the M3 and down, the new one will be a great competition with the m5.

the best features of the S4 is the Twin Turbo engine, its front design which has a lot of attitude.

well, i would put in a chip which adds a lot of horsepower also and intake, and a silent exhaust system. Some 18 inch rims and the RS4 bumper and grill and that will do it.

performance machine
By mbloom

2001 Audi S4 Wagon Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

tremendous acceleration when you hit it, can carry the groceries, bikes, kayaks, and get through snow with ease. and all around great performer than is fun to drive. Opt for the standard six spped which is smooth as silk.

quattro holds road like on rails, turbo kicks butt in second thru fourth like nobodies business

more outlets for toys

No Compromise
By Fess

2001 Audi S4 Wagon Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this rocket sled for just under a year and couldn't be happier with the purchase. It flies. It takes corners like it's teathered to the apex. It stops. It holds tons of stuff (particularly with the rear seats down).

Engine, steering, front seats, Bose stereo, stealth

Six-disc in-dash changer, better cupholders (damn Germans!), better shifter.