Used 2001 Audi S4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi S4 Sedan

quattro 2.7L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

Puts a smile on your face every time you drive it
By stefanv

2001 Audi S4 Sedan Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car about 7 months ago and I have loved every minute of it. The car sticks to the road around turns and has that awesome acceleration! It is so responsive that it feels almost like a go kart. A lot of people talk about how expensive the repairs are on this car, which is true. My oil pan cracked about a month ago. The dealership charged about $1,000 to replace the oil pan, and replace the cam shaft tensioner valves. I am a car enthusiast, so in my eyes this car is worth the extra money for repairs. As some say you have to pay to play!

Won't be buying another one.
By Scott

2001 Audi S4 Sedan Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used in 2004 for an independent dealer. This car is a lot of fun to drive and handles great. Gas mileage sucks, but it's a twin tubo V6 with AWD so what do you expect. Past the fun to drive part I am really disappointed with the car. After 100K miles it has completely fallen apart. If Audi wants to claim to be a great reliable car they need to go back to the drawing board. Since October 09 to January 10 I have put over 3,500 in to the car. Now the O2 sensors (at least two of the four) have gone bad and that will cost me over $400 to get fixed. It's for sale and I will not be buying another one! Friends of mine are about to sell there A4 for the same reasons.

Favorite Features

Fun as hell to drive. Great handling. Real enthusiasts car.

German Engineering at its finest
By Kelvin

2001 Audi S4 Sedan Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased my S4 used with 30k and it ran like a champ right off the dealership lot! Love the QUATTRO engineering. This car is a bona fide pocket rocket. Handles corners extremely well, firm tight suspension and great acceleration. Only wish I had gotten a 6 speed instead of the automatic. The S line should stand for super. Audi has done it right again with the S4.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system, supple leather trim, QUATTRO engineering, abundant horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seat, better navigation system.

What's not to like?
By B5alltheway

2001 Audi S4 Sedan Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car only a few months. Love spending every second in it. Sounds and handles great even in stock. This is the only car I've ever wanted, more than any BMW or Audi. The B5 S4 is truely a work of art and probably has the best engine ever made. Nothing compares to the 2.7TT when it comes time to do upgrades. There is so much potential with this car that no other audi except the A6 2.7tt can offer. This engine can handle 400awhp without making any kind of mechanical upgrades to rods or pistons.The Euro RS4 comes stock with k04s and 380hp on the same engine. When Audi made this car they tried everything they could to limit this engine. Once you unleash it, you wont be dissapointed.

Favorite Features

The turbos of course. The sound they make when spooling up. The Bose speakers sound great. The shifting is smooth with the 6-speed tranny.

Suggested Improvements

Better made throttle body boot, maybe bring back the twin turbo instead of a supercharger in the new 09 S4. Some stock K04's would be the best ever. 18inch RS4 rims need to be standard! Better and louder exhaust system from UUC or AWE should be standard also.

The best overall car I have ever owned
By My Favorite Car EVER

2001 Audi S4 Sedan Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is absolutely perfect. Though My wife made me opt for the tiptronic rather than the 6 speed, this car is still a blast to drive. You can really feel the autobahn engineering. It gives you a planted feel regardless of speed or driving conditions. I ski 15 to 20 times a winter and I have never had a problem taking this up the mountain. Quattro is excellent in the snow. Before this I had a Mercedes ML320 SUV, and I would take the audi any day. No regrets on my purchase. The biggest problem that I have had is that the stereo stopped working and had to be replaced, and I understand that this is a common issue in these cars.

Favorite Features

The best thing about this car is the everyday versatility it offers. It is calm enough for my wife to take my daughter to soccer practice in, and when pushed a little harder is great fun when thrown around up in the hills. The heated seats are the best of any car I have ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

Tiptronic inhibits performance. Go for the six speed. Better ski storage would be nice. Suede seat inserts get dirty quickly and are a pain to clean. More rear leg room would be a plus. More reliable stereo, with steering wheel mounted controls.