2001 Audi S4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:
Won't be buying another one.
By Scott on 01/15/10 11:07 AM (PST)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used in 2004 for an independent dealer. This car is a lot of fun to drive and handles great. Gas mileage sucks, but it's a twin tubo V6 with AWD so what do you expect. Past the fun to drive part I am really disappointed with the car. After 100K miles it has completely fallen apart. If Audi wants to claim to be a great reliable car they need to go back to the drawing board. Since October 09 to January 10 I have put over 3,500 in to the car. Now the O2 sensors (at least two of the four) have gone bad and that will cost me over $400 to get fixed. It's for sale and I will not be buying another one! Friends of mine are about to sell there A4 for the same reasons.

German Engineering at its finest
By Kelvin on 12/22/08 21:34 PM (PST)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased my S4 used with 30k and it ran like a champ right off the dealership lot! Love the QUATTRO engineering. This car is a bona fide pocket rocket. Handles corners extremely well, firm tight suspension and great acceleration. Only wish I had gotten a 6 speed instead of the automatic. The S line should stand for super. Audi has done it right again with the S4.

What's not to like?
By B5alltheway on 08/26/08 05:53 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car only a few months. Love spending every second in it. Sounds and handles great even in stock. This is the only car I've ever wanted, more than any BMW or Audi. The B5 S4 is truely a work of art and probably has the best engine ever made. Nothing compares to the 2.7TT when it comes time to do upgrades. There is so much potential with this car that no other audi except the A6 2.7tt can offer. This engine can handle 400awhp without making any kind of mechanical upgrades to rods or pistons.The Euro RS4 comes stock with k04s and 380hp on the same engine. When Audi made this car they tried everything they could to limit this engine. Once you unleash it, you wont be dissapointed.

The best overall car I have ever owned
By My Favorite Car EVER on 03/23/08 06:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is absolutely perfect. Though My wife made me opt for the tiptronic rather than the 6 speed, this car is still a blast to drive. You can really feel the autobahn engineering. It gives you a planted feel regardless of speed or driving conditions. I ski 15 to 20 times a winter and I have never had a problem taking this up the mountain. Quattro is excellent in the snow. Before this I had a Mercedes ML320 SUV, and I would take the audi any day. No regrets on my purchase. The biggest problem that I have had is that the stereo stopped working and had to be replaced, and I understand that this is a common issue in these cars.

Love my S4
By DaveP on 12/31/07 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is fun to drive, plenty of acceleration. Great in the snow, and better than expected MPG for a V6 Turbo.

Great Everyday Fun
By DriveALot on 01/16/07 17:35 PM (PST)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I was looking at replacing my 3 series BMW when a dealer friend suggested that I would get more car for my money with an Audi S4. Boy, was he correct. I've driven the car almost daily for over 5 years and it is always fun to get behind the wheel. I've had no major repairs and it's always a kick when I engage the turbos. I've taken long trips and the seating is comfortable and the trunk space very adequate.

Too Much Fun!
By Brandon on 07/06/06 08:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

After a long search I have finally found an Audi S4. So far all I can say is wow! Compared to my BMW M3, the Audi is so refined. The clutch and shifter work well. The brakes are fantastic. Overall styling and finish are top notch. The Bose sound system is tight. The xenon lights are great at night and so is the moonroof. I am so impressed every time I drive the car.

Love at first drive!
By Sherl on 11/13/05 23:36 PM (PST)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I fell in love with this car the first time I test drove it. It has awesome performance as well as a nice ride - you just feel good when you drive this car! Sometimes, though, love comes at a stiff price. 4 months after my warranty expired, the car required $2,000 in repairs - described as "normal wear & tear" items. 8 months later I've dropped another $2,500 to have "routine" items repaired. I've never had this much go wrong with a car!!! I have too much invested now to walk away, and I do love driving this car... But, my next car will not be an Audi.

Pure fun to drive
By Goat on 06/29/05 14:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this vehicle after a great deal of research and have not been disappointed in an category. The performance and handling make it fun to drive around town or on the highway and fuel economy has been a bonus averaging in the mid to high twenties. The service plan recommended by Audi is the only time my vehicle has been in the shop short of annual inspections.

Maxumum S4
By Maximum on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi S4 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I've owned my S4 for the past 3 years and now it's time for a decision between a new lease or Buy out. I drove the new V8 S4 and even though it seemed more refined in a luxury feel it was a pretty easy choice to continue on with my '01 S4. The S4 has been an all around performer, not as confidence inspiring as the Boxster I had previoiusly but still a real kick to drive. I never did chip it but I did drive one and it's the next step since deciding not to go with an '05. Lots of aftermarket goodies will keep me happy for awhile. The power is great on back roads due to the high torque, not as great in a drag race. This car is a real kick when in and out of the throttle in the twisties.