2015 Audi S3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Audi S3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S3 model:

CLA 45 AMG VS S3
By Thomas Soukup

2015 Audi S3 Sedan 2.0T Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have actual electronic track times for my S3. 0 to 60 = 4.4 and 1/4 mile@ 12.9. Is this S3 a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 NO, but for the money its a great value. When we launch we all don't all do it exactly the same way. If anything I took it easy when I tested my S3 for the first time, as it only had 100 miles on it. The one thing I didn't notice which some have mentioned is a bit of turbo lag. None Here.
The Mercedes CLA 45 AMG is a great car but its going to cost you 20Gs more to better the S3 times by only 0.3 0 to 60 and 0.3 in the 1/4. Top end on both cars is governed at 155mph. I would like to see them on the track.

Awesome car... with one minor flaw
By QuattroFan

I bought a '15 Sepang Blue Premium Plus S3 end of June 2015. Seeing as this was my personal 'to and from the office' car, I didn't go crazy with options, opting for just a handful: performance package (primarily for the shocks and sweet looking wheels), the driver comfort package (Homelink being the big one there) and the Driver Assistance package (camera/back-up sensors etc.)

First off... the car's a hoot to drive. Setting the exhaust to dynamic makes the most of the engine, and makes it sound considerably sportier. The engine is responsive and the engine doesn't lack for power. I do suspect that my car is an underachiever in terms of horses - I'm not getting close to sub-5 second sprints to 60. This could also be because my engine only has 3K on it. The car handles extremely well - feels as well planted as anything I've ever owned - including my e92 335i coupe.

The largest disappointment for me is the gearbox. I find that there's .5 seconds of lag between input and response - this isn't turbo lag per se, this is the gearbox being slow in response to the input. This happens across the rev range. (even in launch control mode) Audi really needs to look at the software and possibly tweak it. I know that other aftermarket parts suppliers have also noticed this and addressed it through add-ons.

I also think that Audi should give this thing more than 6 forward speeds. I think that a 7 or 8 speed DSG would further help with performance and also improve highway mileage.

Interior-wise, the cabin is stylish. I like the two tone seats in mine. I went for the black/grey leather combination - I find the black/red a little too garish for my taste. On the whole, I like the interior - although, a little more storage space would be welcome. The plastics on certain areas feel a little cheap. Back seat leg space is sufficient for my kids - think adults could be a little cramped over long distances.

As a whole, I'm very happy with my car - and look forward to driving it. I just hope that they can address the minor items I've called out above (in particular, the transmission lag)

Best of all worlds
By steve_in_az

2015 Audi S3 Sedan 2.0T Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I picked up this car on 5/30/15. So far, I am amazed literally every time I drive it. Full disclosure: this is my fifth Audi in 30 years, so I am definitely a fan. The S3 is an incredible amalgam of power, speed, comfort, features and appearance. It includes Homelink (garage door opener), manual sport seats (Recaro quality), nav system, and a "jukebox" (hard drive) that will hold up to 3,000 songs. The Bang & Olufsen sound system is great, so I rip my .mp3s at their highest resolution. The sales staff even made an after-delivery tutorial session where we set up the car's parameters. Switchable magnetic suspension, multiple drive and shift modes. Shocks Corvette and Mustang drivers! 4wd!!!

Smooth seamless power delivery and shift points. Adjustable driving and suspension modes, from limo-smooth to balls-out racing. Full Bluetooth compatibility with smart phones. Sound system has hard drive, 50-pin connector, dual SD memory card slots and a DVD/CD player. Side mirrors fold flat when parked & locked, and they have warning LEDs when vehicles are in your blind spot. Backup camera shows both location and path based on steering inputs. The nav/settings display can be retracted while in use, so you're not stuck staring at the screen. Bluetooth key fob allows you to leave the key in your pocket, even to lock and unlock the car. Mileage is about 24 in mixed fwy/surface street driving.

I prefer the extra cargo height afforded by the Sport Wagen, but that model in an S3 isn't coming to the U.S. Who am I to second-guess the Audi marketing geniuses? The interior space and trunk are tight, but that's the point, n'est-ce pas? Insurance is high - I guess they know how fast this little devil is and how expensive it would be to repair. Gas mileage suffers big time if you dip your toe into the accelerator too much, so your wallet needs to be included into calculating your fun factor. Longevity and long-term costs are TBD, but it sounds like a bank vault when you shut the doors. Can't wait for the RS3 in a year or two.

How Ended Up with the Audi S3
By cheetah77

2015 Audi S3 Sedan 2.0T Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I did not set out to buy an Audi & I don't care about having a "prestige brand"...in fact I'd prefer not to have it. However we needed AWD, fast (300ish hp), high quality, cargo space, fun, cool looking, DSG type auto transmission car. Audi is the only one building that and it's the S3. Considered S4 but MPG too low; Golf R has too little cargo room but nice car. S3 combines amazing refinement, quiet ride, taut but comfortable euro sedan ride, throaty exhaust when punched, great looks, good MPG, driver assistance that can be shut off, & much more. The 2015 S3 is dual personality and you decide which one you want: rip roaring sports car or a easy driving luxurious touring sedan. Amazing.

S-Tronic transmission never misses a beat...I usually am saying "yep, that's where I'd shift too." It is fuel efficient & highly adaptable via lever or menu system. Seats adapt to tall people well! Interior is tops: beautiful & understated at once. Nothing gaudy or over-done. Knobs for vol ctrl and important functions. Looks mean: compact, wide, muscular. Power is xlnt even in D mode; switch to Dynamic or Sport mode to hold shifts, raspier sounds, more speed. Very little MPG penalty for full time Quattro AWD. Trunk is roomy. Options in our top of line Prestige are amazing & useful: lane assist, adaptive cruise ctrl. MMI interface is perfect & easy to master. Near perfect car for us.

More interior storage.

Audi's "Baby S" is a sweet little gem!
By Peter Baek

2015 Audi S3 Sedan 2.0T Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I recently traded in my '14 Audi A6 Prestige (which was a great car) for a '15 S3 Prestige. There is certainly no doubt the S3 is a heck of a lot more fun to drive! Power delivery is excellent...although there is a small bit of turbo lag (esp. in regular "D" mode). I think a 7-sp DSG (like in the S4) would've been better. Grip is outstanding and the car handles like it's on rails. Braking is outstanding as well. I didn't get the 19" wheel and performance package because I live in Chicago where the road quality can be hell. Some of the cons for me are the lack of storage spaces (for sunglasses, etc), no memory seat settings, no built-in garage door opener, and no heated steering wheel.

Excellent acceleration, great handling, great braking. Nice steering wheel. Outstanding B&O sound system.

More storage spaces (i.e. sun glass compartment). Built-in garage door opener. Memory seat settings. 7-sp DSG. More hp?