2008 Audi RS 4 quattro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Audi Should Just Bring This Car Back to the US
By audirs

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

My 2008 Audi RS4 with the available options has now turned 32,000 miles. The hardest part of owning this car during my 60 mile per day over a twisty highway is in keeping my speeds down. I put a K&N air filter in, and keep the S button pushed down and whether it is raining or dry, the handling, sounds, speed, control and Gallardo sourced brakes are incredible. This is a phenomenal car. Buy one if you want a Porsche GT3 with usable back seats, that in turn can be flattened out to create a cargo bay, or a place for your dogs to lay down on a trip. Unbelievable car!

Favorite Features

V-8 power. Intoxicating sound. With the P-Zero Nero tires, grip whether wet or dry conditions is beyond reproach. The Lamborghini Gallardo sourced brakes emblazoned with their RS4 labelling stop the car on a dime. Turning radius is short and easy, and the short throw shifter is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

A few more gallons of gas in the tank to expand range. Two more inches of knee space for the back seats. And now, in 2011, a better Navigation system.

Awesome car!
By Mark

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is one of the greats, for sure. Classic lines, great build quality, amazing powertrain. The engine always feels 'on boil' and the transmission gearing matches the power band perfectly. Great noises - I almost never turn on the radio with this engine and exhaust note filling the cabin. Still gets a lot of looks even though the B8 body style is out. I'll be keeping this one for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Engine, acceleration, exhaust note, brakes, exterior appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system, rear seat space, armrest needs a redesign.

Best Audi Ever
By JT

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

This is one of the Best cars out there, better than a BMW M3 or M5, Better than a Benz 63AMG. I enjoyed Herb's comments on this car, obviously he's never driven an RS4 and must dislike Audi. Anyone who compares this car to an EVO is, well, not well informed. Best of luck to you Herb!! LOL There's no car out that that can compare to this, it looks like a cute little kitty, but can tear your head right off. Handling is out of this world and has a fully defeatable traction control which blows your mind.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, build and quality.

Suggested Improvements

Price. More expensive than a M3.

It is a rocket ship
By Dave

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

First, the Review by Herb posted earlier about this car...is complete nonsense. He clearly has NOT driven an RS4. Everyone that goes for a ride or drives this car...wants one! This is a monster in a business suit! It can rip 100mph quickly from stoplight to stoplight, if you are not careful. This car is about performance and handling with a lot of luxury. Any mention of an Evo or a Subi is ridiculous...this is not an A4 review. The suspension on the RS4 can turn 75-80mph on the highway exchange loop, yes I have done this several times. It performs that well! The car can be pushed farther than I am willing to push it.

Favorite Features

It accelerates like a rocket! As soon as it warms up outside I am going to take to the local drag strip and see what numbers we can get it to turn!

Suggested Improvements

The only comment that I have is that apparently the new HP engines are built to burn clean emissions and use more oil than previous engines. The dealership is telling me it needs oil between oil changes?!?

Not Truly an "R" Car
By Herb Morgan

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

After owning 3 Evos, I really regret buying this car. The gear box is very clunky and sounds frightening on cold shifts. The acceleration is rather flaccid because of the low torque output. The brakes are mediocre and really upset the balance of the car on hard braking. The engine note is horrible. On acceleration the engine makes an excruciatingly high pitched whining nose with no corresponding feeling of acceleration. The steering is terribly numb requiring constant adjustments in corners. Understeer is its preferred mode in corners. It also gets miserable gas mileage, on par with cars with bigger engines and more horsepower. The in-dash CD player went out within 500 miles.

Favorite Features

The interior.

Suggested Improvements

Audi should not market this car under the "R" badge. In my opinion it is not a "sports" sedan, it is merely an overly expensive, but comfortable highway cruiser. I feel that if you want a 4-door, AWD car that you can drive spiritedly and have fun in, save your money and buy an Evo or an STi.

RS4 Cabrio is too much fun
By Los Angles Audi Fan

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 2dr Convertible AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I have had my RS4 Cabrio for three months. I am astonished with the car: plenty of power, enough eye candy and the best attribute: I can cause BMW drivers to go crazy with the power I have under the hood. For me personally the best attribute about this car is that it's not flashy and only Audi enthusiasts really know what sort of beast I am driving. I just wish I had more free time to drive it up and down Mullholland and there was not so much stop and go traffic here in LA.

Favorite Features

Power, non-flashy looks, relatively unknown as far as performance cars go, interior design - and much more!

Suggested Improvements

Parking br under armrest - annoying.

Audi RS4
By Eric

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

I've had my RS4 for just over a year. The V8 is amazing. Put it in S mode and it gets scary. The suspension tightens and it sounds like you have a whole different engine in the car. The torque really shows its face when going uphill on the freeway. It just accelerates as if someone is feeding more horsepower. Very little sign of fatigue. It's a heavy car but I like that. Built solid.

Such a joy to drive and own
By johnnyb1

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

My RS4 continues to amaze me every time I take her for a drive. Amazing in every way and especially when you consider what a wonderful daily driver the RS4 can be. I've been able to get 24.9 mpg when driving very conservatively. What other 400+ HP V8 car can you say that about? My only complaint is the location of the parking brake with regard to the arm rest. Otherwise, perfect.

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, interior build quality handling, utility, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic parking brake.

Move over Carrera!
By Aceumtoo

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 2dr Convertible AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

As a 15 year Porsche Carrera owner most recently a 2005 C4S, I was sceptical on switching to an Audi. My biggest complaint with my C4S coupe was how noisy it was in the interior. I felt I had to compromise "comfort" for power. Not at all with the Audi Rs4! It out performs my C4S and with it's top down is quieter, too!! Hard to believe but true! The Audi also offered bluetooth & ipod dock, which Porsche has yet to offer! I love this car! It is so much fun to drive! It begs to go faster, which hopefully will not be near any law enforcement!

Favorite Features

Convertible top, ipod dock, bluetooth, sitck shift

Suggested Improvements

Installed radar detector? Maybe some type of quick cover for interior when top is down?

Daily performance
By Left Main

2008 Audi RS 4 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6M)

Overall, this car has been a pleasure to own. I previously owned an '04 S4 that still brought smiles to my face after four years. The RS4, however, really is a very different beast. The engine has a very distinctive character. Not only is the sound phenomenal but it just simply has more oomph throughout the rpm range. This is especially true above 5000rpm where the tach rushes to redline. Living in the northeast, the car has been wonderful in snow and ice. It is easy to drive even with the "S" mode activated (I had read where this made smooth driving difficult, but I disagree). The ride can be harsh but is superior to the S4.

Favorite Features

Stealthy appearance - I have the titanium package which removes some of the differentiating features compared to the A4. Engine is phenomenal as above with a great sound. Usual Audi quality interior. Four season capability.

Suggested Improvements

Make the "S" mode the default setting. Would still welcome even more power.