So close to perfect . . .
By mpyles1 on
2011 Audi R8 5.2 quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (5.2L 10cyl 6M)
I took delivery of my first R8 in Jan 2008 and of my second (V10) in July 2010. Both are amazing machines, giving an average driver such as me a sense of control over the car and safety in aggressive driving that I have never experienced in other cars. If you want to beat every car you'll ever meet at a stoplight off the line, this is the not the car for you. Several Porsches, a few V12 Italians, and even one Cadillac and one Corvette can do it, even with the V10. But none do it with this combination of speed, control, safety, looks and noise -- undoubtably the best-executed set of inevitable design tradeoffs automotive engineers have ever pulled off.
Favorite Features
There is no other car in the world where you can sit barely a foot off the pavement and still feel ensconced in sedan-like luxury in an airy cabin. Every person who has ever climbed into either side of my R8 has found the interior a near miracle of human and equipment packaging. And I can't tell you how tired I am of car reviews complaining the car will not hold luggage for a weekend trip for two. What are they carrying? Mink coats, top hats, and bustles? Though shaped oddly, the under-hood compartment is deep and will take an astonishing amount of soft luggage. I have taken 4-day trips for two -- with a fresh change of clothes every day -- with no problem. Jeez.
Suggested Improvements
The one beef I have with this car -- build quality, especially relating to the electronics. My 2008 R8 (admittedly an early production car) required 4 service visits in the first 5 weeks to resolve all the faulty sensor issues. My V10 lost a front fender liner gasket somewhere on a highway, and both liners were replaced under a factory recall. And the V10 was delivered with a head unit that could not detect the presence of the CD player. The head unit has been replaced, but the Bluetooth phone connectivity problems have yet to be resolved one year into ownership, and the rearview camera has a mind of its own about when to work.