Used 2008 Audi Q7 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Q7 model:

Disappointed
By tazzygirl

2008 Audi Q7 SUV 3.6 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my Q7 October 2008 & loved it for the first 2 years. October 2010 things started to go wrong. I drive a lot of highway miles so it was out of warranty. The lane side assist went out, the latch for the rear moonroof broke ($900.00 for a latch!) & in November 2010 the heat went out, only on the drivers side, then both motors on the mirros went out at a cost of over $300.00 each. It is now January 2012 & I am still dealing with heat issues after spending $1500.00 in repairs it still doesn't work properly, sometimes not at all. Now my remote is beginning to fail. I have spent the last 15 months dealing with failures & expenses. I'm done! Will never buy Audi again!

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product. I had major failures within 24 months & you wouldn't support it

Noisy engine
By Cubano

2008 Audi Q7 SUV 3.6 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The reliability has been poor, the worst of any vehicle a have owned. Had to tow it to the dealer in my first week of ownership, the engine just stopped running. Front bearing gone at 25,000 KM. Driver door keeps dropping, it has been fixed 3 times. Other problems, way too many. Frustrating. I find the V6 quite noise even below 2000 RPM; makes more noise than my brother in law Ford Escape. Dealer service could be better

Favorite Features

Good looks, comfortable, roomy, glamorous, good brakes. If you are willing to put up with frequent problems, and a very noisy engine, go for it.

Suggested Improvements

Audi should have better reliability. My 10 years old BMW 3 series has had fewer problems than my 2 years old Q7. The engine of a 70000 $ car should not sound like a Dodge Neon, that is unacceptable.

Tonka toy with a great ride
By Stoak

2008 Audi Q7 SUV 3.6 quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

To be honest we have not had big problems just lots of little ones. The gas cap cover is pathetic and the lock is a joke - open it with your fingers when locked. With kids and pets it seems impossible to not knock water etc over in the center console which ruins the electronics. Part of the body is simply falling off. This is our 4th audi and we have not looked anywhere else simply because of the way we were treated. This too has declined - still pretty good just less than their usual stellar. In 2 years the seat leather has developed a large long crack in it - our 10 year old a6 is still fine.

Favorite Features

Handling was far better than most comparable SUVs we test drove. When an Acura needed to do a 3 point turn the Audi simply turned around. We live in Alaska and it is stellar in ice, snow, slush and bumpy roads.

Suggested Improvements

Fix everything stated above. Engine is fine and the drive is nice.

So Far So Good
By 2008 Q7

2008 Audi Q7 SUV 3.6 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Good car so far. Lots of comments on the great looks. No major issues to date. Ready for new tires at 27K. Brakes are coming. Pull a 5000lb boat with some difficulty. Pulls well up to about 50mph then struggles trying to maintain 60mph+, even on the slightest hill. I manually shift to keep the gearing correct or the engine just rev's really high. Recommend the 3.0 TDI or the 4.2 V8 if you plan to pull more than 3000lbs. My biggest beef is the lack of a rear hatch close feature on the key fob. Audi seems to think your hands are full when loading, but not full when unloading. Can't reach the button with full hands. Wife wants another when the lease is up. Probably the TDI Prestige.

Favorite Features

Looks, Bose stereo is good, interior fit, finish and ergonomics. Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Electric rear hatch needs a close button inside and on the key fob. Especially on the key fob. Ride is a little harsh (20" wheels) and the exhaust/engine noise can get annoying. Needs more sound dampening, but not a major issue.

Q7 4.2 S-Line
By Q7 Stowe

2008 Audi Q7 SUV 4.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Our Q7 has been at the dealer for the past 45 days and they have no estimate as to when they will return it. This car has been a nightmare. Brakes started screeching at 2000 miles and in the 2.5 years that I have owned this car, it has been at the dealer over 20 times (excluding scheduled maintenance). The starter has been replaced twice which requires the entire engine to be pulled from the vehicle (nice design). Audi does have roadside assistance which is nice since I have had to utilize this service 6 times to have the vehicle towed to the dealer. The Q7 S-line is a cool looking SUV, if the cool design does not turn heads, the screeching brakes will!