Used 2014 Audi Q5 Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Audi Q5

View reviews for a specific Q5 model:

Q5 - great drive, poor comfort
By sussiprice

2014 Audi Q5 2.0T Prestige quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Trade to newer Q5 soon!
By Russ Andrews

2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

Being picky, the only drawback to this fine car is the computer behind the nav system. Steep learning curve and not easily used info input system

Two years in the rear view mirror
By Hardy Kornfeld

2014 Audi Q5 TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This is an update on a review posted shortly after I bought my 2014 Q5 TDI. I loved the car then and I still do today, despite Audi's diesel fiasco.

Pros:

1. This is a very comfortable car to sit in on the commute and long hauls. The front seats are great unless you want to pretend it's a sports car, in which case they lack a bit of lateral support. I have a BMW S1000RR if I want to get frisky. The Q5 does its suburban transport function perfectly well and the panoramic roof glass gives it an airy feeling. Like all the Audis in my experience, the driver's sight lines are excellent.

2. The fuel economy remains outstanding. In mixed driving I average 31 mpg measured at the tank. High 30s with pure highway driving. For a 4400 pound truck with a 5000 pound towing capacity, that's supernatural.

3. About that towing capacity; I haven't hauled any really heavy loads but it's effortless towing 1000 pounds of motorcycle plus trailer with barely any hit on fuel consumption.

4. Driving dynamics are very good within limits. Body roll is minimal for an SUV, the steering is reasonably quick and accurate without being nervous, braking effort is linear and absolute stopping power is good but not stellar. Ride quality is also quite good, striking an excellent balance of composed cornering without too stiff damping.

5. It's very good in winter. Excellent ground clearance, the wheel wells don't get packed up with snow and the traction control is effective without being intrusive. It would be nice to have a locking center diff but the Quattro is perfectly fine for most snow conditions.

Cons:

1. The steering has poor on-center feel which is a bit irritating when I set out on highway driving though after a bit of time I stop noticing it.

2. The defroster is adequate but in very snowy conditions it would be nice to have a heated windshield base or heated washer fluid.

3. I would prefer to have engine stop start switch in a more intuitive position. The system itself is not bad; the engine restarts quickly and smoothly. But I only want to use it when I anticipate a relatively long stop, like arriving at a traffic light that has just turned red. So I am turning the system on and off multiple times in local driving but it's hard to find the switch without taking my eyes off the road.

$55,000.00 Vibrator
By Bart Andeer

2014 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

No, it will not be satisfactory for that either! Seriously, I traded my 2002 Audi S8 which had massive engine failure at 118,000 miles for a new '14 TDI. I commute from Tampa, FL to just beyond New Orleans, LA. I was looking for the ability to tow a small trailer, get good mileage and like all wheel drive. Seemed pretty good, but there was a huge catch. Vibration. There is something called vibration tolerance. It seems the longer a human is subjected to vibrations, the more aggravating the particular vibrations (generally low in frequency) become. Every trip I made (10 - 11 hours total trip time) I was feeling pretty bad upon completion, nauseous and jittery. I've owned diesel cars before and have been a ship captain for many years. I'm accustomed to diesels. I've never had this issue before. This is not something that could come as a surprise to engineers. It is well known. I got the impression that accountants were running the engineering. It's called "Value Engineering". After being fully prepared to follow Florida Lemon Law, Audi corporate made be a generous offer to trade for a 2015 Audi SQ5. Most regrettably I accepted this offer. You may be interested in my review of the 2015 Audi SQ5 when posted. At present I'm engaged with the Lemon Law process but suffice it to say I'm more convinced at ever that Value Engineering is the single overriding "Truth" in their engineering.

LUV my Q5
By patti

2014 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Just buy it! You'll luv it, too!