34 of 71 people found this review helpful
Lovely vehicle but far too many issues for the price
By tofinochris on
2012 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
We've owned a Premium Plus (3.2) Q5 for around four months and have driven it extensively in city and on highway.
It's a fine vehicle, very comfortable, and has plenty of power.
However, there are many small issues with the car that really boggle the mind at the $50k-ish price.
1. The multimedia system is, frankly, awful. It's design that feels a decade old, the control dial scrolls things the opposite way from other consumer devices (eg iPod), and the menu system is convoluted.
2. The GPS is completely useless. The maps provided with the car are at least 4-5 years old and the routing is poor.
3. The gas cap cover has broken already, 4 months in. Flimsy construction.
Car is extremely comfortable, even on long drives.
Everything is very quiet.
Engine has plenty of power.
Gas mileage is actually not horrendous as long as you drive sensibly.
Sound system is quite nice.
Lots of cargo space and thoughtful touches in the cargo area like bag hooks and little storage areas.
1. Multimedia system needs to be completely overhauled.
I've worked in tech all my life and still find it hard to use.
It's really awful.
2. Up-to-date maps absolutely need to be supplied with a luxury car. There is no excuse for 5-year-old maps.
3. Construction quality must improve -- the broken gas cap cover really makes me question overall quality.
4. Our salesman informed us that we could not change the steering wheel display from using european radix points (eg 10,7km instead of 10.7km). A small thing, but I'm not in Europe and the comma is annoying -- again, I should be able to change this in a luxury car.