Q5 is Like an Apple Product
By ccc6588 on
2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
I have a 2.0 Silver/Black with Moon Roof, Convenience package, Heated Seats and Exhaust Tips. In my area it was very difficult to find the 2.0 so I had to go 70 miles away to get one. I have no regrets. My Q5 feels like an Apple product and every time I am in it, it makes me feel good. It is fun to drive and the interior and exterior are top notch. I have owned 2 BMW sedans previously and also looked at the X3 very hard. I am a type that sticks to what has worked in the past and the 2 BMW's I had were just fine. I had some reservations about Audi's past quality issues. The bottom line for me was the Q5 was superior in everyway like an Apple product.
Favorite Features
I love the driving dynamics. It is very quiet but very fun to drive. I love the moon roof and sun shade. Make sure you get good sunglasses to go with your Q5. I love the interior. It looks and feels luxurious. X3 doesn't even come close. Gas mileage good with approved gasoline (e.g. Exxon). Make sure you use Audi approved retailers. I like the fact that that in my area you don't see the Q5 often. The old truck like BMW X3 are everywhere. So my Q5 turns lots of heads. Rare to see the Q5 in my area.
Suggested Improvements
If you are used to a BMW with the window opener on the right side, be careful. The parking brakes are in the same position. I accidentally pulled on it out of old habit and it does engage. Audi should change this location. Your left knee can hit the light control knobs. Change the location or impossible to click with the knees. Brake dust. Get a product for this at the auto store. Some of the the controls are unintuitive. Follow the Japanese and the Koreans in this area to make things easier or supply a DVD video manual. Audi should consider free maintenance like BMW. This would put them over the top. I bought a maintenance package for $800. I hope to write again at 10K.
By jezebel1018
on 04/04/12 17:28 PM (PDT)

I recently purchased the 3.2 Prestige S-Line and I can't for the life of me figure out how you're hitting the lights with your left knee unless you have the legs of a spider. My 6' tall husband can't figure out how you'd do it either. Perhaps you need to lower your seat. As for the parking brake, I should certainly hope if you pull the lever the brake would engage. That's what it's designed to do. Never having driven a BMW I guess I don't have the issue of mistaking it for a window opener. Free maintenance would definitely be a plus but I hope you're enjoying your Q5 as much as I am.

By ccc6588
on 05/05/12 07:45 AM (PDT)

I'm not sure if 3.2 Prestige and Premium have the same positions for the lights... However, I have heard other posters mentioning hitting their left knee on the light switch. I have alleviated by backing my seat back more. Perhaps it is our leg length and body type or our preferred positions. Some like to lean back others like to get closer. I've had the 5000 mi. service and still love my Q5. Gas mileage has been fantastic. Another warning. Be careful when going into automatic car wash. Make sure you are fully aware of how to turn off the automatic wiper function....

By realpicky
on 05/16/12 15:04 PM (PDT)

So you're "the type that sticks to what has worked in the past and the 2 BMW's I had were just fine" so you an Audi. LOL!! Anyway, I own this model and it sounds like you must have your seat pushed waaaaayyy up for you to hit the lights with your knee. I don't even know how its possible. I agree with you on the brake dust - I have never seen a vehicle's wheels get dirty so quickly. And the Multi Media System - yes, I agree there too. Its far too complicated. Its over engineered.